Gary Moore on The Strat Pack...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Gary played a les paul junior with Lizzy a good bit too - Im sure theres some clips of him with Liizzy and his junior on the steps of the Sydney opera house.... 
    I seem to remember him being er, fairly animated =)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wasn't moved by the tone in the original video. FAR too much gain for that type of music IMHO.

I was interested to note that the playing started in earnest at about 0:40. The over-playing came in at 01:05. And the singing was woeful.

Is it too soon to say that about Gary?

And this is coming from a fan of much of his stuff. I was really into him when I was younger (when that sort of shred-blues impressed me) but I got bored with a lot of it.

The later video shows what he was capable of. It's a pity he didn't live longer so that we could've heard more of it :(

The singing was always shit though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited August 2013

And this is coming from a fan of much of his stuff. I was really into him when I was younger (when that sort of shred-blues impressed me) but I got bored with a lot of it.

The later video shows what he was capable of. It's a pity he didn't live longer so that we could've heard more of it :(

The singing was always shit though.

i was the same, i thought "the still got the blues " album was one of the bests things i'd ever heard at the time.
    i got a les paul because of it too! the one my daughter is holding on the left.

can't listen to most of it now sadly. poor production, to much over playing, dodgy singing. a couple of tracks where
    is is slightly restrained are still great though.

i'd rather see that sort of stuff live than listen to it at home now.

i'd still rate him as one of the greats though!

:)

:)
  • IMHO an awesome player period! Many can criticise but he had the ability to make that les paul moan, cry or scream at will. He was the most emotional player i have ever had the privilege to see and I've seen a few! I saw him many times he often used a couple of DSL half stacks and a couple of pedals. To take a quote from Ted Nugent ' if its too loud youre to old' he will be sorely missed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2150
    tFB Trader
    IMHO an awesome player period! Many can criticise but he had the ability to make that les paul moan, cry or scream at will. He was the most emotional player i have ever had the privilege to see and I've seen a few! I saw him many times he often used a couple of DSL half stacks and a couple of pedals. To take a quote from Ted Nugent ' if its too loud youre to old' he will be sorely missed.
    A big +1.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3682
    axisus said:
    Love his playing. Saw him live with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker - that was memorable!

BBM I guess? I must dig out that CD, haven't listened to it in ages
    While the album wasn't brilliant there are some truly standout tracks. For me, the best track is the Albert King "High Cost of Loving" where he channelled AK but made it his own. I saw them on the BBM tour and what were basically three grumpy old men managed to make the evening absolutely magical. There were three musicians on that stage who were the equal of each other, which is something that didn't happen very often when Gary played. Most of the time he played he was head and shoulders above anyone else on the stage but in BBM they were equals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I read about a BBM gig somewhere that Gary burst his eardrums during soundcheck and the gig was cancelled =)
    He walked it like he talked it ;)
    A real legend .... Cant wait til the Gary Moore festival invariably kicks off.....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    8 on the master volume holy shit! :D

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3682
    edited August 2013
    8 on the master volume holy shit! :D
    His volume was truly epic. If you look at many of the BBM gigs on YouTube he has at least two stacks, surrounded by acoustic shields. Somehow I don't think those are dummy cabs!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11966
    tFB Trader
    Saw BBM at the Marquee - a good night out and they were pretty loud and Ginger Baker seemed miserable....

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• I have seen him a few times but the standouts were:

1980 (I think!!):     G-Force supporting Whitesnake. I ad just bought the G-Force album and the band were awesome - completely blew Whitesnake offf the stage so much that I went to the bar after a few tracks. (Same thing happened a couple of years earlier when I went to see Sabbath supported by an upstart Us combo - Van Halen!!).

2001 (ish!):     In Pompey with his band Scars.  Friendly atmosphere and he played for nearly 4 hours. He was using a few different guitars though 2 DSL heads and vintage cabs.  Excellent!

• j_rj_r Frets: 4
    sorbz62 said:

I have seen him a few times but the standouts were:

1980 (I think!!):     G-Force supporting Whitesnake. I ad just bought the G-Force album and the band were awesome - completely blew Whitesnake offf the stage so much that I went to the bar after a few tracks. (Same thing happened a couple of years earlier when I went to see Sabbath supported by an upstart Us combo - Van Halen!!).

2001 (ish!):     In Pompey with his band Scars.  Friendly atmosphere and he played for nearly 4 hours. He was using a few different guitars though 2 DSL heads and vintage cabs.  Excellent!

1980 it would have been, I saw the Hammersmith Odeon show. Gary was excellent, and Whitesnake were amazing that night.
    Saw GM a few times after that, through to the SGTB tour. Always brilliant live. And loud :)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11670
    1981/2, pre-Reading warm-up gig at the Marquee. I think the queue went back to Oxford Street.

I think he was playing a Charvel.
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    IMHO an awesome player period! Many can criticise but he had the ability to make that les paul moan, cry or scream at will. He was the most emotional player i have ever had the privilege to see and I've seen a few! I saw him many times he often used a couple of DSL half stacks and a couple of pedals. To take a quote from Ted Nugent ' if its too loud youre to old' he will be sorely missed.
    +1, a truly gifted player, favourite for me is the Wild Frontier period, Live in Stockholm ~ essential viewing/listening.