Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Noel Gallagher stuff on Reverb

What's Hot

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    edited September 2017
    It does to me.

When your playing a gig in Leeds making small talk with a promoter and he cites a band that you know from your home town behaving " like they thought they were Oasis". It's taken on its own term. You know what people mean, that self agranndising type. Yeah there's been tossers before. But never so cliched until after Oasis. 

I've played bills with those guys with the "haircut and attitude, normally from Bedford or other Southern towns funnily enough.

I don't remember guitar shops having alarm systems pre 1994. 

Oasis debut album is famous for being mastered incredibly loud. Google it and you ll find plenty of references to it kicking off the trend for overcooked mastering. Here's just one. They would have signed off on it, most bands do. Noels even boasted about its leaping out of radio speakers.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/GeirH/too_loud__great_albums_that_have_been_severely_damaged_by_way_too_much_compression/

In the late 90's in the wake of Oasis success, lots of bands were dropped for not being Britpop enough or single relevant. I think that made music less interesting as a result during that time. So what I said makes perfect sense. Now if you don't agree fair enough. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The loudness war is a battle.

That era was a low point. As a ME mysel, i know artists often want the music as hot as possible. On the other hand many want dynamics preserved.

I guess my point was we'll never know who finally signed off on the mastering! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Sassafras said:
    I don't particularly like Oasis but I like this:

What is that?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cant stand Liam or Noel really but you cant knock the songs that they put out especially their earlier stuff
  • He definitely doesn't need the cash, more like realising that a lot of this stuff will never get used again and costing to store...he has much much more than this although not quite on the Bonamassa level (no one else does!)
  • Never was a fan until I actually sat down and gave the first 2 albums a proper go. I much prefer Noel over Liam, even vocally most of the time. 

I saw them with u2 over the summer and thought the whole 'High Flying Birds' band were superb, some real talent there. 

If people haven't already, check out a couple of songs of Noel's solo albums, its sort of grown up Oasis, much better mixed as well.
  • I find them both interesting characters and I like the fact Noel isn't cited as a guitar hero....just a VERY good songwriter and one hell of a vocalist. I'm personally not interested in manic soloing; I'm much more impressed with a guitar being used for songwriting with quirky use of effects and minimalist soloing if must.

Yes, they are loud and brash, but it's certainly interesting.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6310
    proggy said:
    Sassafras said:

What is that?
    That thing Keef used to get his blood changed back in the 70's?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    Ah, Noel’s clearing out to continue funding his awful vanity project whilst watching Liams go the other way....
    I very much doubt he has a problem funding anything, his accountant has been going through the books, seen how much he's paying for storage and flagged it up. Noel's know for being a savy businessman.

As for needing the money, I can't even begin to imagine how much revenue Wonderwall and Don't Look Back In Anger brought and still bring in, I bet it's 10 fold what any other band of the era made.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Noel is worth probably $50m. He ain't selling anything for the cash. It's great PR with a new album coming out, and it's not like he can't go an buy another of any of these things if he decides he desperately needs that sound again. I would assume out of all the big British 90's guys only Damon Albarn and Thom Yorke are even close to his bank balance

I'm not sure where the idea HFBs is a vanity project comes from. It's no different from anyone else who goes solo and does a good job of it.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    JezWynd said:
    proggy said:
    Sassafras said:

What is that?
    That thing Keef used to get his blood changed back in the 70's?

By the look of him I think he should've held on to it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    proggy said:
    Sassafras said:

What is that?
    It's a delay.
    It delays the onset of death.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    /\ actually, it delays the onset of tone...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I can't bring meself to like Oasis cause they cocky swaggering plebs with nothing but contempt for their fans and each other. Would probably had all their albums if they'd been a bit more pleasant.
    I like Noel Gallagher's interviews more than I like his music  :)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11023
    edited September 2017
    Never met Noel.
    Have met Liam and he was a twankstain.
    Supremely disinterested in their music.
    Would quite like some of that gear though- that Laney is schweeeeeet.
    In a pub in richmond of all places if memory serves. Or somewhere on the thames towards oxford. That was a funny story!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I used to see Liam quite often around Swiss Cottage when he was with Patsy Kensit, I never spoke to him though, he looks a right cocky git.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8828
    tFB Trader
    *hand up* big Oasis and Noel fan here...

Seeing the iconic amp (imo) from the Live By The Sea (this gig had a massive influence on me when I first saw it in 97/98) is quite surreal. The overall heavy, crunchy tone from the band was unlike anything I had personally heard. I was only 14/15 at the time but still, that was me hooked.

https://i.imgur.com/fwOjDli.png

https://i.imgur.com/6DnoeIT.jpg

If I had the money I'd buy that orange. I'm sad, I don't care. I'll call it nostalgia.. or something like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    proggy said:
    I used to see Liam quite often around Swiss Cottage when he was with Patsy Kensit, I never spoke to him though, he looks a right cocky git.
    To be fair, if I was poking Patsy Kensit, I'd be strutting around like a rooster too...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    miserneil said:
    proggy said:
    To be fair, if I was poking Patsy Kensit, I'd be strutting around like a rooster too...

That's a good point actually.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    proggy said:
    miserneil said:
    proggy said:

That's a good point actually.
    I'm not so sure that holds water these days...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom