American Pro Tele snapping strings

What's Hot
Chris_JChris_J Frets: 141
I have an issue with strings snapping... I snapped 2 during last night practice, so that's 6 in the last 3 weeks. 

So far only the bottom e has survived 

I use nyxl strings bought from a reputable dealer 

All of the snappages (is that a word?) have occurred near the bridge yet the saddles seem ok so I can only assume it's sharp edges on the bridge plate. 

Has anyone else had this problem? 

Ive got a gig tomorrow and will be using the tele, but, guess my backup will definitely be getting an airing.

Bit miffed.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If the break occurs at an unseen location, between the anchor ferrule and the saddle break point, the edges of the hole where each string passes through the baseplate is an obvious candidate. The upper surface, where the string bends, is the more likely of the two. 

If the broken strings were the ones that were on the guitar when it was purchased, this might be a simple case of fatigue.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 141
    I've had the guitar a while now, but, started playing it a lot more recently. The strings were put on maybe a month or so ago, so not that long ago really. 
  • Four weeks or so could be long enough.

Guitarists with acid sweat issues can kill strings in a matter of days.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    try and ascertain if the breakage is on the saddle itself, or between the ferrule and the bridge - Obviously the broken string itself can give you this info

Sometime the saddle might look fine but it can have enough of a issue to cause the breakage - However, normally I'd expect to see it on or two strings max - not 5 of them, so part of me is guessing it isn't not a contact point between string and hardware

You can clean the saddle contact point - very fine wet'n'dry with only a couple of rubs required - or a small needle file or even a thin wound string rubbed 2/3 times - just trying to clean contact points - Never know if this works or not until  the next time it breaks or hopefully doesn't

What gauge do you use and are you a heavy player - no issue if you are but might help in find out what is wrong
    Using nyxl 10-46 and I wouldn't say I'm the hardest player, slightly ham-fisted at times but not excessively heavy handed. 

I'll look at my next snapped string a bit closer as binned all the others
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I would suspect that the bridge plate has burred edges on the string holes.

The holes are formed by a stamping press with a tool and die, so that normally creates a burr. If the plate isn't deburred before electroplating then the burr is often rendered into a hard plated knife edge.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2252
    edited September 2017
    I've got a Tele Pro and haven't had any string breakages yet. I've not had any gigs with it, but I play it a lot at home. I probably change my strings more than once a month.

It's strange that it's not just an issue with one string, or strings that share a common saddle. That might suggest it's not the saddles. I just checked my Tele and the holes in the bridge plate have a chamfer and are aligned with the holes in the guitar body. Is there any evidence of an issue in that area? 
    It's not a competition.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    edited September 2017
    If the strings are snapping where they come through the bridge plate you can smooth off the edge of the hole with a needle file or even make a slight angled slope with a dremel. SRV's guitar tech also used to slip pieces of pvc tubing over the strings where they passed through the bridge plate. 
    Right, I've had a look at the bridge plate and from above it looks nice, chamfered edges and a nice profile.

I've just removed it to have a look at the underside and as suggested the stamping process has left a few ragged edges. These are evident on the string and the mounting holes. I'm not sure whether these sharps are contacting the string or not but I've removed them and added a very slight chamfer.

New strings on. 

Fingers crossed! 
    tFB Trader
    Chris_J said:
    Right, I've had a look at the bridge plate and from above it looks nice, chamfered edges and a nice profile.

I've just removed it to have a look at the underside and as suggested the stamping process has left a few ragged edges. These are evident on the string and the mounting holes. I'm not sure whether these sharps are contacting the string or not but I've removed them and added a very slight chamfer.

New strings on. 

Fingers crossed! 
    looks like you are on the right track - good luck
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    This happened with my Pro tele when I got it new but since then I have hardly broken a string (touching all of the wood)!
    Gig done. Top night. No snappages!
    tFB Trader
    Chris_J said:
    Gig done. Top night. No snappages!
    sounds like job done
  • I bought a Richie Kotzen tele and was suffering with string breakages quite frequently, string slashing a day or two at most. I used the broken wound strings to rub down the contact points on the saddles, and then very fine sand paper and it has solved the issue. Worth a try and very inexpensive. 
  • Im suprised to see such an amazing guitar having string snapping issues.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom