Running and runners

What's Hot
Do we have a thread to discuss our running at the moment?  If not, here's one.

At the moment I've not done any proper running since the spring because I had a problem with my IT band.  I went to see a biomechanics chap and he gave me a lot of punishing exercises to strengthen my hips and bum muscles.  I'm now completely pain free and starting to work back up to my normal half hour runs.

I'm also trying to get more of a midfoot strike form, which seems like a worthy thing to do but the relative unfamiliarity of the movement means that my knees and ankles were wobbling about like drunk Bambi.

What are you up to?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've let myself go over the summer hols.

I need to find some motivation and have something to train towards.

I had ITBS and used a Fabrifoam "Patt Strap" with success.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    Interval training at the minute and a lot of cycling. Had knee surgery in May so I'm easing my way back. Bristol Half Marathon in September 2014 is the goal, under 100 minutes, providing the knees aren't totally fucked by then, which they might be. 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    I do about 7 to 8 miles a week; 20-25minute runs, four times a week. Not last week though, as I was a lazy fucker.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'm building up with walking. I could do a quick sprint for 30 seconds during each walk, but I'm too embarrassed.
    My V key is broken
  • holnrew said:
    I'm building up with walking. I could do a quick sprint for 30 seconds during each walk, but I'm too embarrassed.
    The NHS Couch to 5k podcast is brilliant and what got me started with running.  Get on that.  Fuck embarrassment - if you're the one off your arse doing something then it's everyone else that should be embarrassed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    suffering my 6th week of injury right now. Depressing, but not as bad as the 20 years I had off injured previously. I used to be sub-hour for 10 miles, now I'm an overweight middle aged plodder.
    holnrew said:
    Fuck being embarrassed dude. Just crack on wi' it!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    edited August 2013
    I ventured out for the first time after my op this morning. Walked about a mile in the bright Margate sunshine, and enjoyed it. I'm pretty pleased with myself, considering my gut is like having a flesh-coloured spacehopper attached to your front.

• WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 425
    I had worked up to 6 to 11 milers depending on how I felt on the day, then hurt my foot last week falling down a step. Currently waiting for it to feel 'right' before I start up again. Missing it.

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• guitariguitari Frets: 20

Currently running about 15-16 miles/week.

Two 4mile runs through the week and a longer run at weekends. Starting to do some interval training in the hope of reducing my 10k time.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Impressive!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I did 3 miles the other morning - tried running with an iPod for the first time ever - so much easier taking my mind off it's constant checks on stuff :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • guitariguitari Frets: 20
    Drew_fx said:
    ^ Impressive!

Thanks - I've been running on and off for a number of years, so not as impressive as it should be! really

frankus said:
    I did 3 miles the other morning - tried running with an iPod for the first time ever - so much easier taking my mind off it's constant checks on stuff :)
    I've recently started using one too, helps on the longer runs.
  • The NHS Couch to 5k podcast is brilliant and what got me started with running.  Get on that.  Fuck embarrassment - if you're the one off your arse doing something then it's everyone else that should be embarrassed.
    Well said, that man!

Have a "wisdom".
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Couldn't run without music. But strangely, don't find that it bothers me when I'm cycling. 
  • joneve said:
    Couldn't run without music. But strangely, don't find that it bothers me when I'm cycling. 
    Fucking hell, the idea of cycling with any kind of distraction is terrifying!