Monty's PAFs in my SG - thoughts ?

MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
I have a 2010 Gibson SG Std which is probably the best playing guitar I own, it's perfect and I love playing it live - it's very light, comfortable and easy to play.

It has the stock pickups which are OK, but I'm thinking about treating it to a set of Monty's PAFs to open it up a little and get the sound up with the playability.

Any thoughts on these pickups ? Especially if anyone has tried them in an SG.
Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2481

The Doug and Pat 'Chasing Oscar' pickup comparison might be helpful. Yes, they do use LPs not SGs but it's still a useful resource. They include Monty's PAFs in the comparisons as well as 57 Classics if that is the stock 2010 Gibson pickup.

http://thedougandpatshow.com/chasing-oscar/

Best heard through decent speakers to make valid comparisons.

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    Dunno about Monty's, but the low-wind OX4 PAFs made right here in Oxford are jaw-droppingly great in my 61 reissue SG, especially compared with the 57 Classics they replaced. 

• breezytelebreezytele Frets: 276
    edited October 2017
    In my SG, I’ve got a set of Montys P90s fitted  under standard humbucker covers.
     I’m completely happy with them.
     The coils are true P90 size but trimmed at each end to fit under the hum covers
    ( the  guitar body didn’t require any alteration )
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Pm’d You

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!