New Les Paul Junior 2018

What's Hot
adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
I thought something like this may be on the cards after the 2016 limited run. Maybe I should have waited for this one as I like the finish a bit better. 
Wish they would do a doublecutaway :( or some different colours.

I like the old style logo on it.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPJRH18VSNH

Thomann have it listed. 
https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_junior_2018_vs.htm?ref=search_rslt_les+paul+junior_425019

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28745
    Nice. I totally agree that it's odd not to have a DC version, which I'd like very much.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2413
    Nice! Always wanted a Junior. Hopefully we will see decent UK prices (doubt it!).
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    Nice. I totally agree that it's odd not to have a DC version, which I'd like very much.
    It's really hard to find any. they rarely come up for sale. And there is that custom shop version. when spending that sort of money I'd save up a little bit more for vintage one from the 50s 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14264
    edited October 2017

I like it apart from the Logo! It's reminiscent to the old pre-1950s logo but not completely correct. The Junior was introduced in 1954 with the modern day logo.

I find it completely baffling why Gibson would do this. Just put the correct Logo on it you muppets! Honestly, who makes these decisions?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2017

I like it apart from the Logo! It's reminiscent to the old pre-1950s logo but not completely correct. The Junior was introduced in 1954 with the modern day logo.

I find it completely baffling why Gibson would do this. Just put the correct Logo on it you muppets! Honestly, who makes these decisions?

they know idiots like me will keep buying them until they actually do one that I want. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1244
    Woo, 50s neck too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17494

I thought you were overreacting until I saw it - it looks fake.

I guarantee  in 15 years someone will have trouble selling one of these because everyone they speak to will have forgotten the 2018 oldey timey wimey logo and declare it "too risky"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:

I thought you were overreacting until I saw it - it looks fake.

I guarantee  in 15 years someone will have trouble selling one of these because everyone they speak to will have forgotten the 2018 oldey timey wimey logo and declare it "too risky"

:-) 'Remember that was the chibson era too so I'd avoid it' 
  • I like the new Junior.  

Am I alone in being somewhat surprised by a new Gibson that I might actually want to own?  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    Oooooh look it's a Les paul jr.... That's just like a Les paul jr...
    I like the new Junior.  

Am I alone in being somewhat surprised by a new Gibson that I might actually want to own?  
    Yep. but expect it to be a piece of unplayable junk when it arrives if the majority of things I read about Gibson are to be believed.

I have 4 Gibson guitars there isn't anything wrong with any of them. Perhaps I got lucky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • £1100 for a standard line Junior - holy crap!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
    Oooooh look it's a Les paul jr.... That's just like a Les paul jr...
    Apart from the limited 2016 run when was the last time they released one that would be in it's traditional form? 2011?

the 2015 had the robotuners and the LP 100 logo and this new one old logo.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4903
    I prefer my 2016 SC to the 2018.  I can't be doing with that vile brown finish and how can you tell if it's better anyway?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    edited October 2017
    adamm82 said:

Yep. but expect it to be a piece of unplayable junk when it arrives if the majority of things I read about Gibson are to be believed.

Yes unfortunately.

I was looking for another Jnr/Special earlier this month and noticed Guitar Guitar are listing a made for the Japanese market special. It looked great with a decent spec so I went in to try it out.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170807313120008--gibson-limited-les-paul-special-heritage-cherry

Finish was crap with a lot of orange peel and the neck to body joint was very scruffy.

I could forgive the above as its only cosmetic but it played appallingly with an action that looked like it had been set up for slide and the bridge did look as if it was tilting/pulling forward. Can't understand why any dealer would have it on their wall.

Needless to say I won't be buying one,
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    That is the logo they employed during the War years when the manufacture was by a female workforce. They did it so that it would be clear later that these were the 'inferior' models....

* their philosophy not mine before you all go snowflake on me...*
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    That is the logo they employed during the War years when the manufacture was by a female workforce. They did it so that it would be clear later that these were the 'inferior' models....

* their philosophy not mine before you all go snowflake on me...*

The logo is just wrong!

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/gibson-headstock-logos.72246/

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28745
    The geometry of that DC is all wrong in terms of neck joint - the cutaways should meet the neck at a right angle. The tort guard doesn't help either. I should look like this, and a single pickup version would be even better if they're having trouble building a proper neck joint (which they probably are..)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires