Review: Takemine CP3NYK New Yorker

What's Hot
I posted a NGD thread about this a few days ago, and I haven't had a lot of time to play it so far but got it out for a slightly extended noodle tonight. This is therefore more of a "first impressions" review that an in depth one. 

The Takemine CP3NYK New Yorker (Parlour) 

These normally retail at around £1400 but because the case had been slightly damaged, and then repaired (see pictures), by my local guitar shop (The excellent Keith Dawson Music ) it was reduced to £1100 and Keith gave me a bit more off as I'm  a somewhat spendy regular in his establishment!

First some pictures:

Now, to the guitar itself. here's a sound file, which is a blended signal of pickup and a mic aimed at the 12th fret (which is where the neck joins on this guitar - more on that later) Firstly, apologies for the poor playing! I did a bit with fingers, and some strumming, then used a pick just to vary the dynamics. Nothing spectacular as I'm really not very good ;) 

Having been using a dreadnaught Tanglewood with Bband crescent (sound hole) pickup for most of my playing time, I expected to notice a substantial volume drop, which there is, because of the body size. But it's nowhere near as much as I expected it to be. The sound is also much fuller, with beautiful clean mids as opposed to the slightly harsher "twang" of the Tanglewood. Then again, that was a £500 guitar (on paper! Nobody ever pays full price for a Tanglewood, right?) 

The sound of the guitar for it's size is just immense. The only thing lacking, as you would expect, is a strong bass response. When you plug it in though, is where you notice the biggest difference. The electronics on this are out of this world! EQ it to taste and you can really make it sing, but add booming bass should you so wish. Coupled with the very accurate tuner, which also allows you to flatten or sharpen your tuning, I'm incredibly impressed with the CT4B II preamp. 

In terms of playability, this is very different to what I had originally set out to get. I wanted something smaller than a dread, with a big heart. The Taylor GS Mini was top of my shopping list for a long time, having played a few. Two things attracted me to this over the mini though. The nut width is 45mm to the GS Mini at 42.8, meaning it's fairly beginner friendly and lends itself to finger picking and more intricate stuff well. Secondly, it has that 12th fret neck join instead of the normal 14th fret. This makes the strings a tiny bit lower tensioned and means that even a relative noob like me can bend it like Beckham... well, I can bend easier than I could on the dread anyway! I also really like the through strings on the bridge, no pins. This gives it a really nice clear sustain that seems to last a long time. I don't claim to be an expert or be able to tell the difference, but I'm told the Koa back and sides helps with the tone and sustain too. 

So my overall opinion at this stage is that I definitely made the right choice. It's a fantastic sounding, easy to play guitar with a great feel and I have met all the goals I set out to achieve when looking to upgrade my acoustic. Yes, I spent more money than I could have, but on the other hand I got a good deal on a guitar that should hold a reasonable chunk of its value, and I got to support my local guitar shop. I know Keith will also support me, and tweak this any time I need it tweaked, remember and greet me by name every time I go in, and go out of his way to keep me and all his other customers happy. 

Thanks for reading, and I'll be sure to put some more thoughts down once I've bedded it in a little. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ugh! I may have stayed up too late playing with this! That's a good sign. Right? :/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    Looks like a win-win to me , you're a happy man! .....great deal prompted by a dodgy case that does its job anyway - purfek!!
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited October 2017
    Yeah the case was just a bit of stitching come undone in the finish. Doesn't alter its effectiveness one bit! Certainly not £400 worth of damage! 

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    That looks lovely, I've wanted to try a parlour acoustic for a while and that's igniting my GAS desires!
    Are we having an acoustic room at the Jam in t'North?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonka said:
    That looks lovely, I've wanted to try a parlour acoustic for a while and that's igniting my GAS desires!
    Are we having an acoustic room at the Jam in t'North?
    We are indeed, and it will be there :) 

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I would have that guitar in a heart beat, it's made me crave a tak  again 
    edited October 2017
    You can't have it. It's mine! 

That's got me thinking though. Tak Club isn't actually that over subscribed at the moment. More people need a Tak in their lives!

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    You can't have it. It's mine! 

That's got me thinking though. Tak Club isn't actually that over subscribed at the moment. More people need a Tak in their lives!
    FFS. There was ONE rule of Tak club!!

Seriously though, lovely guitar and seems like you’re very happy with your choice, happy playing!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HumbuckedHumbucked Frets: 89
    Great review,I think you chose wisely. Takamine are great quality and great value for the price. you could certainly spend more on a lesser instrument. The onboard e.q. etc work very well and can be updated when new 'cool tubes' become available. Enjoy!

I must declare a bias as I play a TAN 46C. Super workhorse and sweet sounding guitar. If I submit a review of it, does that get me a membership of the Tak Club?

Humbucked said:
    Great review,I think you chose wisely. Takamine are great quality and great value for the price. you could certainly spend more on a lesser instrument. The onboard e.q. etc work very well and can be updated when new 'cool tubes' become available. Enjoy!

I must declare a bias as I play a TAN 46C. Super workhorse and sweet sounding guitar. If I submit a review of it, does that get me a membership of the Tak Club?

There is no Tak club 

*looks shifty* 

Psst...third door round the back. 

Password is "Martin" ...that'll fox them 

• NyjNyj Frets: 4
    I've been a member of the Tak club since 1994 ... was playing a Gibson in the local guitar shop and their resident techie stopped by and said, you like that guitar?   I said, yeah, well it's a £1500 Gibson, what's not to like.   He says, you tried one of those?    Nodding toward a few Takamines hanging on the wall.    I said, nope, never heard of them.   He said, they sound every bit as good acoustically, and they've got electronics inside better than anything else on the market (the Gibson had no electrics). So I tried it, and fell in love and bought it for about £600 if I remember right.   I had to repair a few divots in the fingerboard last year, and gave it a new coat of varnish, but otherwise it's been my favourite guitar for 25 years.   Takamine are superb.