Acoustic fingerstyle compositions

What's Hot
I've been searching all over for acoustic fingerstyle stuff to learn and I'm struggling to find anything I like or is within my limited ability (preferably both).

I used to learn a lot of stuff from Eric Roche's column in Guitar Techniques, for instance, like this - 

So because I can't find anything, I thought I'd try to write my own instead, on the "If you can't hear what you like, create it" principle.

Where would I start? I know with songs there's the "Which came first, the words or the tune?" problem, and that's different for everyone, and even with experienced writers like Macca it can be different from day to day, according to interviews he's given.

But when you're not going to put words on it at all, what would you recommend? Work out a chord sequence that I can then start to break down into arpeggios, for instance, then build a riff from that and join them all together, or which I can use to put a melody over the top? Or think of a tune and then add little bits and flourishes to it as I go along, building it into a chord sequence?
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    I usually start with a  chord sequence, then break down those chords to finger pick style, trying to use a couple of hammer on / pull off things here and there  

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581

I'm the exact opposite of @spark240 there ... 

For fingerstyle (my electric nonsense is different again ... I'm weird, sorry) I think it's melody first.  That may be because the people who have taught me seem to take this approach too ... but I think that's correct in this context.  Taking the melody, adding a bassline and then fleshing out the chords afterwards tends to lead me to more interesting chord progressions.

Adding "riffs" as such and percussion (I'm rubbish at this bit) then come at the end if it's needed.

•  Learning a few classical tunes can be helpful, many of the shapes can be used and taken in new directions.  I got quite a bit of mileage from about 5 tunes and came up with things like this.  I didn't start with a melody (as you can probably tell ;) ), just meandered around various shapes until it sounded pleasing.  

• @Bezzer!! :D Yay, how you doing, mate? It has been soooo long, so glad to hear from you again. :)

Anyway, thanks to you and to @spark240 and @menamestom for your thoughts as well.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • I had the same problem, then remembered I am a full blown geek and returned to my roots...

Finger picked, easy enough to start with but enough challenge to make it interesting.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    edited November 2017
    @Bezzer!! D Yay, how you doing, mate? It has been soooo long, so glad to hear from you again.

I'm alright thank you sir, how have you been?  You should come to one of Stuart Ryan's courses, done two now and they've been brilliant.
  • Glad to hear it. Things round my way have been a bit lumpy, as it were, way too much going on to detail here and I don't want to sound like a moaning twat, so I shall forswear on that one, if you don't mind. :)

As for Stuart Ryan, the only things he's sent me about his courses are about his annual trips to Austria! I thoroughly enjoyed the one I did that time I stopped off on the way back for a jar with you a few years ago, so I'd be happy to do more if I could. I must check out his website again for future dates. Thanks for reminding me about him.
  • When I was songwriting it was a lyrical idea that I'd try and find a melody for and then find the chords to fit.
    With acoustic instrumental type things they tend to be thematic or incorporate some sort of technique I'd seen and liked.

For example, I saw a guy doing a long run featuring hammer ons in a shop and when I got home I thought I'd try something like that :  

Or like Michael Chapman I like coming up with stuff inspired by the antics of my dog, which seem to suit acoustic blues type stuff. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They're lovely. I especially like the second one.

It'd take me six months to come up with something like that.
  • You should, hopefully, find something on the multiple tab pages on this site:

https://www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/tab.htm

Enjoy !!

• Benm39Benm39 Frets: 696
    edited December 2021
    The Anyone Can Play Guitar patreon has Adrian doing some  lovely fingerstyle acoustic stuff... Roy Harper and John Fahey amidst...

• You should, hopefully, find something on the multiple tab pages on this site:

https://www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/tab.htm

Enjoy !!

Great little site that, thanks for sharing