SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Nottingham Musicians for Jamming

What's Hot
hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
Four of us have a studio space in Sneinton on a Monday and we jam reasonably regularly, but when one or more are missing it gets a little difficult so we're looking to get a few more people involved. Guitarists, bass players, keys or singers. Possibly drummers but our drummer always seems to be available so praps not.

None of us are what you would call professional, mostly just competent, so any standard would be acceptable, it is only for fun after all. We are of the age where we're jamming riff based stuff or songs in the rock/blues genre though we're open to doing new stuff. There was talk of heading off to an open mic night to try some songs in public, but its not something that we're obsessing about, ther'es no intention of getting a gigging band together (been there done that, it was too much like hard work).

So if you'd like to jam reasonably regularly (twice a month would suit me as I'm busy with other stuff) or even every Monday please get in touch and I'll arrange for you to give us a tryout see if you enjoy it.

Hywel
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hi,

I could be interested, tho it's right on the far edge of travelling for me. What part of Nottingham do you jam in? I'd be coming as a guitarist, because I've just put my bass and amp up for sale and had two bites, so they'll probably be gone by the weekend. (Though if there's a bass amp there, I might be tempted to get another to help out if you're short.)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    WE're in Sneinton, Roden Street. You'll probably remember the Rubber Biscuit, Stuck On A Name and the Underground rehearsal studio's in the same building?

I have a bass and there's an amp in the studio. I do play it occasionally. But come as a guitarist first , see if you enjoy it. What are you doing next Monday evening?
  • Coming to Nottingham, by the sounds of it. :)

I don't know those names at all, sorry - when I lived in Nottingham I didn't play guitar, so I don't know anything about it.

I wouldn't be able to come every week, but I'd certainly be interested in coming as often as I could.

What time do you start? I might not be able to get there till around 8ish this coming Monday, but other times could be earlier if needs be.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    Pm'd
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    Possibly interested, perhaps in the new year.
    I will keep an eye on this thread
  • @hywelg - a bit OT as I live 100 miles away. Where's a good place four four old blokes to have a curry without needing to book? We're making a stop-off around Barker Gate on Saturday night.
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    @hywelg - a bit OT as I live 100 miles away. Where's a good place four four old blokes to have a curry without needing to book? We're making a stop-off around Barker Gate on Saturday night.
    Dont know about booking but Anoki is posh but pricey but I'd recommend Kayal as its not too far a walk - been a while since I was last there it was good then hopefully its not crap now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Years since I've been for a curry, last time was Laguna on Mount Street. Bit too far if you want to stay in Hockley.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks both. We ate in Laguna last year, only because the place next door where we ate the time before (4550 Miles...) was full. We walk around in jeans and jumpers and visit few pubs so don't mind the distance. Is Kayal new? We've been around that way for years and I haven't noticed it before.
    IF you're after good beer and something out of the ordinary, head up Derby Road. The Hand and Heart, and a Room with A Brew are OK'ish, but the Falcon at Canning Circus is great as is the Sir John Borlase Warren, then about 50m down Alfreton Road is the Organ Grinder. Then carry on 100m and on the right you'll come to Tipoo. Turkish kebabs, but proper sit down restaurant. Charcoal cooked meat, nice restaurant that has just opened an extension. Been there twice and the food was excellent and very reasonable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Kayal is great if you are up for something a bit different curry-wise. Kayal fish curry is my favourite - love it
  • Yesterday we had a cheeky one in Room With A Brew, who gave my mate a Camra discount (nice touch).  We walked up the hill and remembered having already been in the Hand & Heart and Sir John Borlase Warren before.  Next was happy hour in the Organ Grinder at £2.50 a pint.  Dinner was curry in Laguna then back up the hill to finish the night in the Falcon Inn.  Thanks for the tips :)
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I'm not great by any means but might pop down with a bass, i only live in radford.
    @Guitar_Slinger. ; Glad you enjoyed it. 

@speshul91. ; Pm me and we'll chat by email. 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    hywelg said:
    WE're in Sneinton, Roden Street. You'll probably remember the Rubber Biscuit, Stuck On A Name and the Underground rehearsal studio's in the same building?

I have a bass and there's an amp in the studio. I do play it occasionally. But come as a guitarist first , see if you enjoy it. What are you doing next Monday evening?
    I used to rehearse at underground every week! Are you in that part of the building? 
    Yes we're on the second floor further along that side of the building.
    How long have you been there for? I remember music coming from that part of the building between 2003-2008
    We started using it about 5 years ago, but both my lads used it before that, since 2005 ish? but there are literally dozens of bands using rooms in this building. There used to be quite a few other rehearsal studios too. On a Monday night there are at least three other bands rehearsing/jamming in various locations throughout the building.
    Used to love that place, glad people are still working on going deaf in there!
    Bumping this to see if there's any other interested people. I'm getting radio silence from those who previously expressed an interest.