Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Suggestions for a new cordless power Screwdriver/Drill

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4713
    Rocker said:
    Replacement batteries for my Makita are "hard to get" as they are the old style which was changed to a flatter battery five or six years ago.

That was the good news.

I looked at both Hitachi and DeWalt driver/drills. Both looked to be fine tools, solid and well built. Both balanced very well in the hand. Either would be a good buy, spare batteries available and in stock in the shop. The Hitachi sold for €269, the DeWalt for €239 with the 5 amp battery. Pushing a little, the Hitachi could be sold for €239, no scope for price reduction on the DeWalt. The assistant showed me a Dreaper equivalent at a third of the price but it looked it's price and felt awkward in the hand.

Thinking now that I might wait 'till after Christmas - there might be price reductions early in the New Year.
    I thought that sounded dear, but then I noticed the batteries - mine only has a couple of 1.5Ah units which last very well.  5Ah jobs should see you through the armageddon!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12879
    Rocker said:
    Replacement batteries for my Makita are "hard to get" as they are the old style which was changed to a flatter battery five or six years ago.

That was the good news.

I looked at both Hitachi and DeWalt driver/drills. Both looked to be fine tools, solid and well built. Both balanced very well in the hand. Either would be a good buy, spare batteries available and in stock in the shop. The Hitachi sold for €269, the DeWalt for €239 with the 5 amp battery. Pushing a little, the Hitachi could be sold for €239, no scope for price reduction on the DeWalt. The assistant showed me a Dreaper equivalent at a third of the price but it looked it's price and felt awkward in the hand.

Thinking now that I might wait 'till after Christmas - there might be price reductions early in the New Year.
    Don't chuck your Makita stuff out if it works apart from the batteries. You can get rebuild kits for old nicad battery packs, easy enough to diy if you can solder, or there are companies that can supply them readymade. Plenty of info out there if you google it. 

Draper power tools are generally crap, its cheap stuff and usually has plastic gears in the gearbox and they don't take much abuse to break them. Stick to a decent brand like DeWalt/Makita/Bosch. 
  • Dewalt have gone down hill since they where bought by black and decker. Previously metal parts have been replaced by plastic. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited November 2017
    I needed to replace a cheap drill recently - I don't need 18v and wanted something small and light so got a set of Bosch impact driver and combo drill in an L box with a couple of batteries. Been great so far and it is cheap - about £130. This one  - http://amzn.eu/cx9e6r9

• RockerRocker Frets: 5104
    Good suggestion @boogieman but internet dealers generally refuse to accept orders from the Republic of Ireland. Hence batteries are 'hard to get'.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12879
    Rocker said:
    Good suggestion @boogieman but internet dealers generally refuse to accept orders from the Republic of Ireland. Hence batteries are 'hard to get'.
    Ah, sorry hadn't realised that.