First pedal?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3756
    edited November 2017
    From what I gather the VFS2 is the Vox made switch, so I would need two of these , I have to think if its something I would use, first thoughts are channel switching maybe, tremolo I never use and reverb is something I probably wouldn't need to be switched. https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/vox-vfs2-footswitch-for-valvetronix-amps-p2311/s2335?utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=vox-vfs2-footswitch-for-valvetronix-amps&utm_campaign=froogle
    Having channel and gain boost on one switch would have been much better, I guess Vox want you to buy two foot switches.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    That's a good price for the Vox switch - if you bought the Hosa one the cable brings it up to nearly the same price, which is included with the Vox. Both will do the job though. (A separate cable is marginally better if you're gigging since it can be more easily replaced if it breaks, but for home use that doesn't matter.)

If it was me I would probably get just one for the channel and tremolo - if you're not gigging the boost is probably less useful, and you're probably going to leave the reverb on at home. Tremolo is a nice effect - try using it quite subtly, just as an enhancement rather than a deep 'effect'. Then you may not need a modulation pedal :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited November 2017
    robgilmo said:
    Perhaps my first pedal should be a pedal to switch the amp?
    Depends on how much you like and use more than one channel / gain setting on your current amp.

Adding an overdrive pedal can essentially give you another channel/gain setting.

p.s.
    As your amp is analogue with a valve preamp, and has decent headroom being 30w, I think it will take dirt pedals fine.

p.p.s.  
    If you're concerned about the level of gain of a dirt pedal, something based on the Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal is nice.  Mooer do an affordable clone of it, if you don't mind micro pedals. 
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10010
    ICBM said:
    That's a good price for the Vox switch - if you bought the Hosa one the cable brings it up to nearly the same price, which is included with the Vox. Both will do the job though. (A separate cable is marginally better if you're gigging since it can be more easily replaced if it breaks, but for home use that doesn't matter.)

I unsoldered the cable on mine - if you remove the grommet a 1/4" jack socket fits nicely into the hole.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    thermionic said:

I unsoldered the cable on mine - if you remove the grommet a 1/4" jack socket fits nicely into the hole.
    I always do that if I have to repair one with a broken cable as well, unless the owner specifically doesn't want me to.

The cable usually breaks at the clamp on the switch anyway, so you can just cut it there and solder it to the jack with half the work!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    edited November 2017
    as you probably torn between FX you want, why not a small multi pedal like the Zoom until you can get a handle on what sounds you want to develop??

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zoom+multistomp+review&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi16ovdqtzXAhWpJ8AKHdofAJUQ_AUICigB&biw=1402&bih=673
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30120
    I'm not familiar with the band you mention other than suspecting (?) they're in the classic rock sort of vein, so given what your amp does on its own, I'd have thought a wah might be useful for that sort of stuff.

Personally I'd want to add delay, but I'm not sure it'd do much for you musically.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."