USB Hubs and audio gear....

I have a Focusrite audio interface which I record guitars through and a MIDI keyboard controller - both USB powered but unfortunately only one USB port on my laptop. 

Is running them theough a USB hub going to cause me problems? Do I need to resign myself to only being able to use one at a time?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I have a 4 into 1 usb extender thing which I use with no issue. You should be fine!
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thanks. I’m guessing I’d need a powered hub as neither of my devices are mains powered and are powered through USB. 
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I'm not sure, certainly my extender which is just a cheap thing has no issue powering my external harddrive but when recording I use a Vox Tonelab with usb in so that has it's own power supply.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    One USB port... who in their right mind thinks that is enough? Anyway, my laptop (MBP) has 2! So I have my SPL Crimson in 1 and everything else connected to an Ennotek USB3 hub which has a pretty heavy duty laptop style power brick.If I remember correctly, it cost about 40 squid, but I was prepared to pay that for something that worked! My AI, unfortunately, doesn't like being connected to a hub, however the Focusrite might be better in that respect. 

I would be wary of using one of the cheapo hubs as my research (which consisted of reading online reviews) indicated that the power implementation in them might be a problem.

Currently I have connected to my machine via USB:-

Sub Phatty synth and 88 note master keyboard (connected to an unpowered D-link hub) which is then connected to the main hub, wired computer keyboard which has a dongle for a wireless mouse in it's USB port, Steinberg dongle, Arturia Beatstep, Akai Ableton controller and a USB 3 hard disk which leaves one port free - my hub also has 3 charging ports which do not pass data but are quite handy.

To summarize I realise your setup is considerably simpler than mine but I suppose my advice is 1) get a reputable brand and 2) get it on line so you can send it back if it doesn't work!
    wave100 said:
    One USB port... who in their right mind thinks that is enough? Anyway, my laptop (MBP) has 2! So I have my SPL Crimson in 1 and everything else connected to an Ennotek USB3 hub which has a pretty heavy duty laptop style power brick.If I remember correctly, it cost about 40 squid, but I was prepared to pay that for something that worked! My AI, unfortunately, doesn't like being connected to a hub, however the Focusrite might be better in that respect. 

I would be wary of using one of the cheapo hubs as my research (which consisted of reading online reviews) indicated that the power implementation in them might be a problem.

Currently I have connected to my machine via USB:-

Sub Phatty synth and 88 note master keyboard (connected to an unpowered D-link hub) which is then connected to the main hub, wired computer keyboard which has a dongle for a wireless mouse in it's USB port, Steinberg dongle, Arturia Beatstep, Akai Ableton controller and a USB 3 hard disk which leaves one port free - my hub also has 3 charging ports which do not pass data but are quite handy.

To summarize I realise your setup is considerably simpler than mine but I suppose my advice is 1) get a reputable brand and 2) get it on line so you can send it back if it doesn't work!
    Don’t get me started...bloody Apple...2 USB ports should be the minimum, 1 is ridiculous. 

I ended up grabbing a decent brand one from amazon so we’ll see if I have any issues, if not their returns are good :) 
  • I was using a powered usb hub for the same reasons. The only thing I've had issues with is my wireless mouse. That keeps dropping. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • BodBod Frets: 1430
    I'm running a NI Maschine Mk2, a Maschine Jam, and a Novation SL 61 from one of these without a problem so you should be OK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JX1ZS5O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks all