Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I need a 2nd guitar ; gas for Flying V , gold top , prs !

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Yes, but they're still PRS -  i.e. One of the least punk/rock and roll guitar makes of all time. 
    This statement is correct.

I'd sooner play a guitar from a starter kit bought in Argos on stage than a PRS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 4121
    edited November 2017
    impmann said:
    Punk on a V? Well, I guess it could work... but looks wise, its not *quite* what I'd associate with punk or garage.

Yeah, that surprised me a little too. When I think of Gibson Flying V's the classic image that comes into my head is Albert King. Not exactly punk/garage/metal...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/26/50/e1/2650e1aecbf7a6bfa48c25550a33ee49.jpg
  • MiscusernameMiscusername Frets: 58
    edited November 2017
    Howdy! I have a lovely wine 2016 Gibson Flying V Traditional T with zebra pups on for sale.
    Has a Gibson hard case also which is worth quite a bit.
    Only a small bit of rash on the back, but perfect other than that.
    Amazing guitar, super light, easy to play, and sounds great, I just don't need it.
    PM if interested.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3477
    grungebob said:
    Get another Gibson of whatever type, dont buy a PRS - I cant think of a less garage-band style guitar, and also punk/metal people will guffaw at you (and rightly so)
    couldnt disagree more, we're not talking the bling topped dipped in Glass PRs, the S2's are stripped back pickguard models and the Satin finished ones are understated and workman like.
    Yes, but they're still PRS -  i.e. One of the least punk/rock and roll guitar makes of all time. 
    which isnt a very punk rock anti establishment thing to say;) 
    it makes it more suitable for punk to me, tell a punk what he shouldnt do and watch him go do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hamer SP90 (a goldtop), might meet your needs?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15221
    prs s2 ... for a died in the wool Gibson man, is it a step too far?
    For anyone attuned to Gibson electric guitars, the most noticeable difference on most PRS guitars will be the slightly longer scale length. If your licks rely on muscle memory, some of them will go wrong on the PRS. It should not take long to adapt.

I cannot help thinking that the only valid back up guitar for a Les Paul Custom is another LPC.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    Gotta be a junior man!
  • aguirre said:
    Hamer SP90 (a goldtop), might meet your needs?

I love hamers . Maybe you’re onto something there !
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5101
    I'd rather like an Explorer.

I know a lot of people like PRS guitars, but to me they don't have a personality.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4955
    edited December 2017
    I too have a 1990 LP Custom and its a great guitar. I also have a 2006 SG Standard which I love too and it's probably my favourite because its lighter, and its double cutaway gives great playing access all the way up the neck.  It has great tone which is true Gibson but is slightly different to my LP Custom. As for fitting in with metal - well, look no further than Mr Tony Iommi. 

Having been playing guitar for over 40 years, I only 'discovered' the charms of the SG around 4-5 years ago and it's a great all-round workhorse that's very comfortable to play and I think would complement your 1990 LP Custom really well without having to spend a fortune. A reasonable SG Standard can be picked up for around £5-600 (there's one on Ebay now for a BIN of £550) and SG faded's/specials can be found from around £400 - essentially the same guitar except for aesthetic differences of open p/ups, dot inlays, no fret binding,plain truss rod cover, no headstock inlay, and faded finish (worn cherry SG on EBay now for BIN of £450, and a cream 1990 SG with upgraded neck p/up & schaller machines but with original p/up & machines included, & case, for a BIN of £425 and a brown stock SG special for BIN of £425).
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    Gibson The Paul (1978-1982 model).

Walnut body and neck, ebony fingerboard, Dirty Fingers pickups, powerful Custom-like sound, looks plain and punky, stronger than your average Gibson, a lighter than a Custom and not that expensive even though they're beginning to be thought of as 'vintage'.

The only thing to watch out for is body seam separation - this is relatively common and a bugger to fix.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1355
    bazxkr said:

Flying V looks cool but just a pain to have hanging round your neck & generally cumbersome

Actually I think V’s are pretty good ergonomically on a strap. They balance nicely and nothing sticks out too much. As a bonus you can lean them up against a table, amplifier, or whatever without worrying about them falling over (especially handy if they’ve got the double strap buttons!).

Now my Explorer, that’s another thing altogether..l while it still balances pretty well and nothing gets in my way, on a crowded stage it’s a complete liability as I can’t turn round without worrying I’m going to get somebody in the chest or gut with the tail fin or in the eye with the headstock... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • JayGee said:
    bazxkr said:

Flying V looks cool but just a pain to have hanging round your neck & generally cumbersome

Actually I think V’s are pretty good ergonomically on a strap. They balance nicely and nothing sticks out too much. As a bonus you can lean them up against a table, amplifier, or whatever without worrying about them falling over (especially handy if they’ve got the double strap buttons!).

Now my Explorer, that’s another thing altogether..l while it still balances pretty well and nothing gets in my way, on a crowded stage it’s a complete liability as I can’t turn round without worrying I’m going to get somebody in the chest or gut with the tail fin or in the eye with the headstock... :-)
    I agree about the V. It only needs a hanger stand and you're good to go.
    It also can come in handy for pointing at the guitar in a phallic/weaponlike pose for ultimate rock mode!
    Rest the vertex of the V on your leg and point the neck straight out towards the crowd like Judas Priest - Breaking the Law.....

Damn it, describing how cool the V is makes me not want to part with it, but, it must go!!!