Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Squier telecasters

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    p90fool said:
    thegummy said:
    I wish I could be happy with low end brands - I really quite fancy a Les Paul and a Tele but unlikely I can afford to get both, at least in the near future, but could get a Squier Tele and Epiphone Les Paul lol
    For me it's not about brands, it's about the things which go to make up the sound I'm looking for.
    Despite my Tele post above I'm not an inverted snob. I can build/buy a cheap Tele which works perfectly, but in my experience there is no way you can do that with Les Pauls, you just have to spend decent money on huge chunks of real mahogany and maple to get the full effect. 
    I don't really know enough actual genuine facts about the differences between low and high end versions of the same guitar (rather than hearing anecdotal reports using vague, abstract words) to the point where I don't know for sure that a Squier and American Tele aren't pretty much identical.

If specs differ or different types of woods are used etc. then it's easier to find out but I think it's more down to how they're put together. I'd love to really know what the actual differences are there and if they affect the guitar in the real world (e.g. a flame maple veneer over normal maple vs. a larger piece of flame maple - afaik that doesn't actually make any difference).

I did find a post where someone went into quite a bit of detail about LP necks - when I'm back from work tonight I'll see if I can quote it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    TTBZ said:
    I dunno about that, I'd take a mid priced Japanese one over an American Gibson any day of the week. My Pearl LP was the one of the best LPs I've ever played apart from the weight and it cost £250. The Edwards and Tokai guitars I've tried have felt and sounded awesome as well.
    Are mid priced Japanese ones from the past and you're talking used market or are some of the current line up made in Japan?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    The Pearl was used and made in the 70s but the Edwards and Tokai were new. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3756
    thegummy said:
    I wish I could be happy with low end brands - I really quite fancy a Les Paul and a Tele but unlikely I can afford to get both, at least in the near future, but could get a Squier Tele and Epiphone Les Paul lol
    My Epi Lp was made in the very early ninetys, its Korean. I picked it up at a local auction for justover 100 quid, it was an impuls buy, I cleaned it, restrung it and set it up, I was , honestly , shocked at how lovely it played, Ive ofyen heard the term plays like butter but never knew what that was, I do now! Mahogany set neck, mahogany body, decent hardware, thats a hundred quid for a lot of guitar.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.