3/4 lefty acoustic

A friend is looking for an acoustic for his son (8) to start learning on.  He'd like to rent or buy used, until he knows if his son likes it.

I suggested buying, since I think it will work out cheaper than renting in the long run.  Given the lefty-ness, second hand seems a long shot ... but if anyone's selling I'd love to hear from you!

For buying new, the Cort Earth Mini has been recommended before, but AFAICS they don't do a lefty.  Are there other models you'd suggest?

Trading feedback | FS: Nothing just now
JM build | Pedalboard plans
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    edited December 2017
    For an 8 year old I’d definitely go for a nylon strung guitar. As the saddles are parallel to the bridge, it’s an easy job to restring it as a lefty.

The broader question is - should he just play right-handed? Lots of famous left-handed people play guitar right-handed (Mark Knopfler and Gary Moore, to name two).
  • For an 8 year old I’d definitely go for a nylon strung guitar. As the saddles are parallel to the bridge, it’s an easy job to restring it as a lefty.

The broader question is - should he just play right-handed? Lots of famous left-handed people play guitar right-handed (Mark Knopfler and Gary Moore, to name two).
    I'm in agreement with the nylon string as in addition to it being easy to switch from right to left handed, all really what will be needed is a new nut (or turn it around and sand it accordingly).

As for the left handers playing right handed issue, for any newcomer I'd advise whichever way they pick up the guitar and what feels the most comfortable.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15377
    tFB Trader
    I'm not even sure there is such a thing as a lefty 3/4 acoustic

My advice to any beginner, is to learn to play the guitar in the conventional manner - call it right handed if you wish, but ultimately you will need to coordinate and use both hands to play at any sensible level let alone to be very good - As an absolute beginner on page 1, book 1 of learning to play, they can't play left or right right handed, so many teachers would advise the conventional right handed format

For an 8 year old beginner I would suggest a 3/4 size nylon strung classical guitar - part for cost and part for ease of string tension on tender young fingers - Learn the fundamental basics then a year or two later move on to electric or steel acoustic as they feel suits them