Behold my massive board of pedals

What's Hot

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    Two new DIY clones added, mini Omega boost before the Blackstone (lower right) and a Dinosaural Tube bender (lower left).

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    Love your Posca pen art, @Winny_Pooh. I got my son (10) to do one for me, but it's not quite as slick as that.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    Love your Posca pen art, Winny_Pooh. I got my son (10) to do one for me, but it's not quite as slick as that.
    Thanks, here's  a close up pic:

Having your son do one would be lovely. Plus it's also relatively easy to wipe off and redo parts as he sees fit. Did you clearcoat? I find the envirotex top coat method that Juansolo shared to be excellent. Brings out the colours too. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Love your Posca pen art, Winny_Pooh. I got my son (10) to do one for me, but it's not quite as slick as that.
    Thanks, here's  a close up pic:

Having your son do one would be lovely. Plus it's also relatively easy to wipe off and redo parts as he sees fit. Did you clearcoat? I find the envirotex top coat method that Juansolo shared to be excellent. Brings out the colours too. 

Yes. Drippy layer of black Hammerite underneath (also mostly him, IIRC), then Posca pens, then clearcoat. I don't think I took a picture of it, but it's pretty cool. Green Ringer, so nothing much to get in the way of the art.

Still trying to decide on my next project. I think I'll get him to do another one if he's up for it.

• downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited May 2022
    So I bought a new pedal… my only rule is that my board isn’t going to grow but there was no way this pedal wasn’t going on and there wasn’t really anything I wanted to remove (the Eccos came closest because of course I can (and do) do delays in the ms-3 but the modulated delays in the Eccos are so cool). Fortunately a Gigrig QMX-2 turned up in the classifieds and I could see how that might work… 

So… 

Signal path is 

Input -> Blackstone -> QMX-2 (loop 1 Protein, loop 2… ah yes) 

loop 2 is what caused all the trouble in the first place - J Rockett El Hombre - simply stunning Billy F Gibbons in a box - an essential tone for me previously provided by things such as a Mooer cruncher etc but nothing compares to this! But no space…. ? 

Under the lid! This is fine - once the BFG tone is set I don’t really need to fiddle with it. 

So the signal path is… 

Input -> Blackstone -> QMX-2 (loop 1 Protein, loop 2 El Hombre) -> MS-3 (loop 1… empty!!!, loop 2 Terraform/Golden Horse, loop 3 Eccos) -> Output. (MS-3 also provides occasional phaser, delay, OD etc all accessed by the dual switches).

the power issue caused by these additions has been temporarily solved by using a three way daisy chain (no noise generated so far) but would be better addressed by a bigger power supply (CS-12 probably) or a gigrig isolator. 

Layout is becoming less than optimum so I’m thinking of a complete rebuild of the actual board once I can get hold of some decent wood. For the time being this works and is usable.

Just one thing… there’s an empty loop on the MS-3!!!! Now what could that be? Phase 95? Another delay? I only really play blues related stuff so nothing too wild…  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10181
    So I bought a new pedal… my only rule is that my board isn’t going to grow but there was no way this pedal wasn’t going on and there wasn’t really anything I wanted to remove (the Eccos came closest because of course I can (and do) do delays in the ms-3 but the modulated delays in the Eccos are so cool). Fortunately a Gigrig QMX-2 turned up in the classifieds and I could see how that might work… 

So… 

Signal path is 

loop 2 is what caused all the trouble in the first place - J Rockett El Hombre - simply stunning Billy F Gibbons in a box - an essential tone for me previously provided by things such as a Mooer cruncher etc but nothing compares to this! But no space…. ? 

Under the lid! This is fine - once the BFG tone is set I don’t really need to fiddle with it. 

So the signal path is… 

Input -> Blackstone -> QMX-2 (loop 1 Protein, loop 2 El Hombre) -> MS-3 (loop 1… empty!!!, loop 2 Terraform/Golden Horse, loop 3 Eccos) -> Output. (MS-3 also provides occasional phaser, delay, OD etc all accessed by the dual switches).

the power issue caused by these additions has been temporarily solved by using a three way daisy chain (no noise generated so far) but would be better addressed by a bigger power supply (CS-12 probably) or a gigrig isolator. 

Layout is becoming less than optimum so I’m thinking of a complete rebuild of the actual board once I can get hold of some decent wood. For the time being this works and is usable.

Just one thing… there’s an empty loop on the MS-3!!!! Now what could that be? Phase 95? Another delay? I only really play blues related stuff so nothing too wild…  

I much prefer pedal boards that generally look a bit more DIY and where everything isn't anally lined and the cables are hidden. Super cool board dude. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893

Fuzz! You can do fuzz and blues together. The MXR classic fuzz is buffer friendly and traditional sounding
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    roberty said:

Fuzz! You can do fuzz and blues together. The MXR classic fuzz is buffer friendly and traditional sounding
    I do actually own a great fuzz pedal (Reeves Black Hat) but I don’t really possess the skill to use it - currently out on loan to a more talented player! 
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664

So… 

Signal path is 

So the signal path is… 

You may have bought the QMX2 I had my eye on. If you decide to sell, give me a shout.

Cool fuckin’ board though dude! :)
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Latest incarnation DD3T In Flashback2 out.

Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    edited May 2022
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    My band logo'd germanium diode carcosa sounded good in rehearsal so it gets to stay. Just a little less compressed and stodgy than stock which is kind of the opposite direction of travel for me, though I probably wouldn't be able to tell you which was installed without looking
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Having built two large boards routed through pedal switchers and with channel switching etc. I needed to put together a simple board for the stunning Carr Rambler I've just bought.
    No FX loop meant everything is in the front and quiet pedals were a must.

The two stand out pedals are the new V2 Duellist with the six dip switches on the side - a brilliant pedal.
    And the @ThorpyFX Fat General.  My word... 
    The other two boards have Origin Cali76 compacts on but this one is just so good, it's always on.  More flexible than a three knob compressor has any right to be. Just magical.

• ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    Posted in another thread so may as well post here too!

Current board looks like this, with one gaping s
    Strymon sized hole left to fill.

I never wanted a (nearly) full Strymon board and I definitely didn't set out to make one. I actually feel somewhat embarrassed by it because it makes me look like a fanboy and a loaded one at that, but reality is lots of gear accumulated over the past 2 and a half decades was sold and some of it went on this. The thing is, each Strymon that I've played has sounded better than what I had before it and has therefore stayed. If I bought one I didn't like it would be moved on quickly. And second hand they hold their value so well it's easy to justify trying them!

It's probably the best board I've ever put together, and covers both home and band situations. Live I could likely get away with:

Tuner-Compadre-Riverside-Deco

At home they all get a lot of use, Flint, Deco and Compadre are never off, El Cap is used heavily too.

The Riverside is huge. It's a fantastic overdrive, I really don't understand the lack of love for it. It's thick, rich, possibly a little too well behaved, easy to dial in and all around solid drive pedal. Kind of has its own thing going on, unlike the Sunset which is a Swiss army knife of sorts. You could turn up to most gigs outside of metal with either the Riverside or Sunset going straight into a clean backline and sound good. To my ear the Riverside is the better sounding pedal but the Sunset sounds very similar to the pedals it is inspired by, so it depends what you are looking for. If one had to go it would be the Sunset.

Compadre is, to be fair, unexciting but extremely pleasant. I've always enjoyed compressors, particularly the more subtle studio voiced ones, and the Compadre covers a lot of ground without, err, covering a lot of ground so it makes the cut. Almost feels like a utility pedal to sit at the front of the chain and condition the signal for everything that comes next, but it works brilliantly this way.

The Deco is a funny one. I could go gigs without using it, but it's got your back if you need a simple very limited but decent sounding delay, flange, chorus, overdrive and more. Really reassuring to have sat there, but for me non-essential.

El Cap always delivers. And the Flint is just the king. Absolutely classic pedal that cannot be made to sound bad.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2191
    ragingben said:

I never wanted a (nearly) full Strymon board and I definitely didn't set out to make one. I actually feel somewhat embarrassed by it because it makes me look like a fanboy and a loaded one at that, but reality is lots of gear accumulated over the past 2 and a half decades was sold and some of it went on this. The thing is, each Strymon that I've played has sounded better than what I had before it and has therefore stayed. If I bought one I didn't like it would be moved on quickly. And second hand they hold their value so well it's easy to justify trying them!

It's probably the best board I've ever put together, and covers both home and band situations. Live I could likely get away with:

At home they all get a lot of use, Flint, Deco and Compadre are never off, El Cap is used heavily too.

The Riverside is huge. It's a fantastic overdrive, I really don't understand the lack of love for it. It's thick, rich, possibly a little too well behaved, easy to dial in and all around solid drive pedal. Kind of has its own thing going on, unlike the Sunset which is a Swiss army knife of sorts. You could turn up to most gigs outside of metal with either the Riverside or Sunset going straight into a clean backline and sound good. To my ear the Riverside is the better sounding pedal but the Sunset sounds very similar to the pedals it is inspired by, so it depends what you are looking for. If one had to go it would be the Sunset.

Compadre is, to be fair, unexciting but extremely pleasant. I've always enjoyed compressors, particularly the more subtle studio voiced ones, and the Compadre covers a lot of ground without, err, covering a lot of ground so it makes the cut. Almost feels like a utility pedal to sit at the front of the chain and condition the signal for everything that comes next, but it works brilliantly this way.

The Deco is a funny one. I could go gigs without using it, but it's got your back if you need a simple very limited but decent sounding delay, flange, chorus, overdrive and more. Really reassuring to have sat there, but for me non-essential.

El Cap always delivers. And the Flint is just the king. Absolutely classic pedal that cannot be made to sound bad.

Very cool - Surely one of the modulation type pedals would plug the gap.  The Lex maybe?
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    Fishboy7 said:
    ragingben said:

Very cool - Surely one of the modulation type pedals would plug the gap.  The Lex maybe?
    Yeah perhaps... Or maybe a DIG. I really wish Strymon would make midi enabled versions of the compact pedals that don't have it so that they could all be switched remotely between presets. A small board with a MC6, Flint, Deco, Compadre and Riverside and a tuner would be powerful!
    ^^^ Needs a Behringer pedal to complete the look.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    :grin:

Joking aside, I see boards on here with pedals bunched up and crammed in to every inch of available space and I wonder whether people actually work them with their feet. 

69A INTANDANE  0196 Original Leather Italian Style Cuban Heeled Winkle  Picker Boots circa 1960 Size 2 Sold to The Netherlands March 2020

Can i have my boots back please! ;)
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Having a lot of fun with this whilst my new board is under construction. Beginning to question whether I actually need anything else! 

How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    This has been pretty settled for a while now. The Little Bear and Plumes could probably go, using HX FX patches instead. However they do what I need them to do, so don't feel the need to remove them.

https://imgur.com/3x3LlZ3.jpg

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience