Advice on tuning Floyd Rose to eb

What's Hot
Just wondering do I do it the normal way ie use tuners and then run risk of having to change relief and spring tension or use the scroll wheels on the trem itself 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74473
    You almost certainly won't get enough range using the fine tuners. The problem is that the strings will go out of tune at different rates and also affect each other, so you'll probably run out of travel on the top E before the bottom E is in tune.

There's no real solution other than to unclamp the nut, re-tune, re-set the springs - typically you will need to back the screws out about a full turn each - and re-tune/re-set again until it's right. You probably won't need to adjust the neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    It might be worth going up a string gauge. If you use 9s now, go to 10s. If you use 10s, go to 11s.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • If you need to go between the two tunings my advice is to get a tremol-no and set it for dive only when you drop tune.  They're a bit fiddly as far as the unit itself but it does work.  Just watch you don't lose the thumbwheels, and periodically check the allen key tightness (it'll knock on bends if it's getting loose).

Otherwise if you need it floating there's no real solution to just spending the time re-setting it up.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    1. Unlock the nut clamps, set all the fine tuners to half way point, open the back trem cavity.
    2. Back out the spring screws a bit, then retune to Eb.
    3. Check the base plate of the Floyd is level.
        a. If base plate is tilting down, back out the spring screws a little more, retune to pitch.
        b. If base plate is tilting up, tighten the spring screws a little, retune to pitch.
    4. Repeat step 3 until base plate is level with the guitar body.
    5. Lock down nut clamps and replace back cover.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2529
    It's all here:
  • Cheers 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    E-flat versus normal E should be OK, but don't plan on tuning between songs!