NGD - Gretsch!!

What's Hot
antifashantifash Frets: 603
edited January 2018 in Guitar
So, some of you may have seen my thread about semis. I was genuinely interested and then my MacBook died, and i got annoyed with Apple. I was almost about to buy a 335, but couldn't then afford it. I'd always wanted a semi, but couldn't find one. A good semi is hard to find etc.

Anyway, I wasn't sure I wanted to settle on the Gibson sound. I've never liked the Classic 57 pickups, and I was beginning to feel that I wasn't really into humbuckers generally. I had a bit of time to murder, so I went to Ivor Mairant's. I played a lot of semis - and looked at the Collings as they were just stupid money. I tried most brands there - Gibson (a terrible Les Paul ES), Peerless (meh), Eastman (only exciting around the £2k mark, but in a very traditional, formal capacity), Ibanez (nice but uninspiring), Fret King (probably the best value for money guitars there). 

I left thinking I'd look out for a secondhand Eastman. Strolled over to Denmark Street and popped into Wunjo's which was chock full of shit guitars. They handed me piece of shit after piece of shit claiming each one was amazing and vintage, or just plain amazing. Played Gibsons, Hofner, some cheaper brands - just didn't enjoy them. The cherry 335 I played was nice, but just not exciting. Same for the sunburst. A guitar is a guitar though, no? No.

So then I ended up in Regent Sounds, and asked to have a go on a Gretsch Panther (or something) if they had one. They didn't but they had a Broadkaster. It looked great, and it had the centre block I was after - cos I really can't be doing with a floating bridge (sorry if you love them, but I can't be arsed with the faff). 

Anyway, I played the Broadkaster unplugged and it sounded and felt good. Ebony fretboard. Strung thru Bigsby trem (look away now, Phil). Locking tuners. It was playing itself and staying in tune under heavy pressure from me. It was also way over my budget. Asked to plug it in, and gave it a good seeing to. The pickups were raised a bit too high, but even so, the set-up was beautiful, and the clarity of each note was preposterous, even under drive. It could get the squishy funk sound I like, it could take jazz licks, it would do major chord stadium chops - it was doing it all. I was pretty amazed. It was the best guitar I played that day. 

Walked out of the shop without buying it.

The next day I thought about it some more. I'd never played or bought a guitar like it. Regent Sounds did credit. So I thought, 'Why not?' and bought it. I have never liked Gretsch guitars. Ever. Never enjoyed playing one. I've always been a Fender guy (I know - technically I still am!) However, there really is something incredible about these MIJ semis. Truly exceptional build quality, and top grade parts. I am shocked at how stunning it is. It also allows me to write like no other guitar has. I should also add, the electrics are American (pickups), so there's none of the stress of having to switch anything out. If you see one, try it. You won't be disappointed. Mine is vintage white, but it sounds a bit like this:

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/center-block/g6609tg-players-edition-broadkaster-center-block-double-cut-with-string-thru-bigsby-and-gold-hardware-usa-fulltron-pickups-vintage-white
0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Wow’d....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3328
    Enjoy buddy, you cannot fault a mij Gretsch -they are some of the best made and sounding guitars on the market.

So much so I’d be tempted to swap my vintage US Gretsch for a modern mij... oh shit that’s the next gas thread!! Cheers! :)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7897
    edited February 2018
    Good call. Gretsch guitars sound like nothing else, perfect semi-meets
    -tele tonal range with bags of character. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    My MIJ Gretsch, a silver Pro Jet, is my favourite guitar, beautifully made instruments
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Ever since seeing a Richard Fortus Rig Rundown with I’ve wanted a Gretsch. Starts at 15.50.

https://youtu.be/kPtdfjxX59U
  • Wis from me - Gretsches are fantastic and somehow still underrated by SO MANY people.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • @antifash - I followed a very similar journey to you mate about 18months ago... couldnt settle on a guitar, then played a few Gretsch Falcons. Loved em.

Incredibly versatile, and some of the ‘cleanest’ break-up sounds Ive heard.

Congrats on yours mate !
  • KoaKoa Frets: 122
    MiJ Gretsch are fantastic, congratulations
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1339
    Nice one.  Good job I still have my Panther  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Cheers all. I've now taken to a life of crime to pay off my debts.

@duotone Nice link - hadn't seen that! 
    @bodhi You were right!

• Love a new Gretsch day, and you bought it from the best shop on Denmark street too!
    It would be unusual for me to be right about something :) but these pro line MIJ Gretsches sure are top quality and versatile guitars.

I think Les Pauls are more my thing, but a Gretsch certainly does add something different to the collection in a very good way.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    There's a White Falcon, White Penguin .... what's this a White Widgeon ? ;)

Lovely swag !!!!!!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    White Wedding??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

It's not that much of a recording setup, but anyway - I was surprised at how much more recording friendly my Gretsch Panther is, compared to my Les Pauls.  It totally kills.

That's all  :)
    @bodhi It’s all I need. That. And a Strat. 
    Nice.

Which reminds me, I can recommend one of these roller bridges.  Works very well.  The Panther stays in tune like a champ, and is actually tuning-wise the most stable of all of my guitars.

@bodhi I’ll look into that. Thanks. I don’t know if it’s because of the string thru Bigsby or locking tuners (or a combo of the two), but I’ve had very few tuning issues. I know, it sounds like I’m just saying that, but it’s true. I barely have to tune it!
    I’ll stop going on about it soon, but this guitar is insane. 
    Praise the lo'.