Anyone want to stop Murdoch? (copy of 38 degrees email)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4713
    prowla said:
    JezWynd said:
    Done. If you want to understand why Murdoch's takeover would be such a bad idea, watch Sean Hannity on Fox News for a while. Would you want to see that level of arse kissing 'reporting' here? According to Fox News, Trump is a shining beacon of hope in a corrupt Democrat conspiracy led world. This is the narcissist, serial bankrupt, racist who has split America into opposing camps. Murdoch apparently advises Trump in weekly phone calls. Do we really want that here?
    What's Fox News?
    I've seen it on my channel list but I've never watched it.
    Sky News equivalent in the US.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5622
    randella said:
    prowla said:
    JezWynd said:
    Done. If you want to understand why Murdoch's takeover would be such a bad idea, watch Sean Hannity on Fox News for a while. Would you want to see that level of arse kissing 'reporting' here? According to Fox News, Trump is a shining beacon of hope in a corrupt Democrat conspiracy led world. This is the narcissist, serial bankrupt, racist who has split America into opposing camps. Murdoch apparently advises Trump in weekly phone calls. Do we really want that here?
    What's Fox News?
    Except not really subject to any kind of regulation of truth. Should be regarded as "entertainment," rather than "news." If right-wingers raise your blood pressure, do not watch without medication to hand.
    Whitecat said:
    randella said:
    prowla said:
    JezWynd said:
    What's Fox News?
    Except not really subject to any kind of regulation of truth. Should be regarded as "entertainment," rather than "news." If right-wingers raise your blood pressure, do not watch without medication to hand.
    Which is a shame in a way.  I read the Guardian in the main, but get the Torygraph from time to time just as a breather from my lefty-lib bubble.

Similarly I love C4 news for its high-quality journalism and in-depth reportage.  I'm aware that it has a whiff of liberal bias about it, fine.  If there was a conservative-leaning programme of equivalent quality I'd watch it happily.

Unfortunately there isn't.  Sky News is lightweight and its American cousin, Fox, is absolute fucking dross.  Naked, tawdry propaganda that doesn't even pretend it's news.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    randella said:

Which is a shame in a way.  I read the Guardian in the main, but get the Torygraph from time to time just as a breather from my lefty-lib bubble.
    The standard of journalism in the Telegraph and to some extent the Times overrides their right-of-centre (I won't say right-wing because that applies more accurately to the Mail and Express) standpoint, even if I don't always agree with some of their editorial.

randella said:

Sky News is lightweight and its American cousin, Fox, is absolute fucking dross.  Naked, tawdry propaganda that doesn't even pretend it's news.
    But it does, and that's the problem. Too many people can't tell the difference - and they are the target audience.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3845
    prowla said:
    I don't care about Murdoch either way; I don't read newspapers and I've got Sky TV (which is an excellent product).

I joined 38 degrees some time back because one of their campaigns (maybe the original one) struck a chord; however nowadays they just seem to be following a left-wing agenda and TBH, I'm going to leave when I get around to it..
    Well said.

Everyone's got an agenda, whether it's Murdoch or 38 degrees.

Murdoch's pretty obvious, 38 degrees, no so much.

What's their agenda?

A leftist workers paradise no doubt.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6310
    ICBM said:
    randella said:

Sky News is lightweight and its American cousin, Fox, is absolute fucking dross.  Naked, tawdry propaganda that doesn't even pretend it's news.
    But it does, and that's the problem. Too many people can't tell the difference - and they are the target audience.
    Exactly right. Hannity's granite jawed, all american fury is designed to inflame that portion of america that's been defined as Trump's base.

No wonder Trump obsessively watches Fox News; it says all the things that he'd like to, only he's too dumb to verbalise. Fox News is Murdoch mainlining his anger to Trump, followed up by the weekly phone call maintenance dose.

Jerry Hall should do the whole world a favour and press a pillow over his face one night.
    ICBM said:
    randella said:

The standard of journalism in the Telegraph and to some extent the Times overrides their right-of-centre (I won't say right-wing because that applies more accurately to the Mail and Express) standpoint, even if I don't always agree with some of their editorial.
    The Telegraph, I reckon, is a very good newspaper. Despite my wife’s (outrage-for-amusement’s-sake) protestations at me fetching it into the house, it’s basically the Tory Guardian. It’s certainly no further from the centre than the Graun, and nowhere near as far right - like you say - as the Mail or Express. 

As as for the editorial - it can be toxic but, like the Guardian’s which is as bad, it’s worth a read. The writing’s always of a high standard even if, like you, it doesn’t align with my political leanings. 

Michael Deacon (the right wing’s John Crace) is particularly poisonous and often funny.