Booooo .... No season 3 of Dirk Gently

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
One of my fave ever TV shows, but the company that made DG had decided to scrap it after two seasons. Bastards. 

Oh well, at least we are getting Stranger things seasons 3 and 4.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    There were only 2 books if I remember correctly.  1 book per series?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I really enjoyed it though preferred season 1.  It felt like they really started to setup a proper story arc at the end of season 2 which I would have liked to have seen continued.  

I loved Amanda and the rowdy 3 I’d love to have seen where their story went.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2248
    Haven't watched second season yet, but if its anything like the first it will be awesome :)
    Shame they cancelling it though..

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    .I'm finishing season 2 now. Still torn on it as it bears no resemblance to the Dirk Gently from the books (which I l read at least twice a year) but as it's own thing it is enjoyable.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    It's a complete reimagining, not much to do with Douglas Adams books, so I think they should be not thought of as the same thing really.
  • I accidentally (binge) watched all of season 1 with audio description turned on and just assumed that was how it was meant to be viewed. I’m not going to lie, it works beautifully, and now I’m watching the second season like it too.

I only realised when I started watching something else and that was “narrated” too...!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    amazes me that there are some great dramas that are cut off in their prime yet they still have a continuous, endless budget for fucking Question of Sport!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    continuous, endless Question of Sport!
     "No one in this world, so far as I know ... has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people." - NOT H. L. Mencken

it bears no resemblance to the Dirk Gently from the books
    axisus said:
    not much to do with Douglas Adams
    No television or cinema adaptation was ever entirely to Adams' satisfaction. Whenever he was consulted, he would insist on changes that were awkward to carry out. It is no coincidence that the film version of HHGTTG only went into production after Adams died.

Part of the problem of converting DG and HHGTTG into pictures is that many of the gags work better in the imagination. IMO, Douglas Adams' skill was with word play. Via the written or spoken word, it is possible to delay the punchline until the moment when it will have maximum comedic effect. Via pictures, almost everything has to be apparent immediately.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.