Consumer rights/law advice please

What's Hot
So, my MacBook Pro is 2 1/2 years old and has six months left on AppleCare+. It has an issue whereby the reflective coating on the screen has started to de-laminate, which is a known issue and Apple will replace the screen free of charge.

So far so good, but my issue is the length of time quoted for the repair - both the Apple Store and our nearest authorised repairer are quoting a 7 - 9 working day turnaround. 

I’m self-employed, work by myself and simply can’t afford to close my business for at least a week (no computer = no ability to do the work I need to do). Ok it might not take that long but I can’t take the chance. 

I’ve been into store and had several conversations will AppleCare and they’re not willing to budge. All I want is to arrange a day when I can take it in first thing and pick it up later that day. Too much to ask? It appears so...

Any ideas where I stand, or am I stuffed because they’re willing to carry out the repair?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2587
    I'd imagine you're stuffed.
    The applecare presumably has a "reasonable time" clause for the repairs, and if it's in the small print that that is say typically under 10 days, then their quoted time is perfectly reasonable.
    If you wanted same day cover or like for like replacement in the interim I'd imagine you'd have needed a much more expensive policy.

To be fair to them, most people have more than one device so they can get on with at least some things in the meantime, and as a non-commercial user I would regard 7-9 working days are fair.

They may well not be doing the job on-site, more likely sending it off so you've postage both ways to factor in.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    edited February 2018
    I would say you're stuffed. They're complying with consumer law and I would say 7-9 days is quite reasonable for a repair if it's not something they think can be done on the spot.

But... if you're running a business which *relies* on a computer and you don't have a backup you're running a serious risk anyway. What happens if it suddenly dies? You're then stuffed even more. This can happen...

Do you have your data backed up properly? As in on at least two external hard drives kept in different buildings, and/or online? If not and your computer suffers a major failure then you're *truly* stuffed.

I don't even 'rely' on my computer, but I still always have two, with the important data copied onto the second one so I can carry on in the event of something going wrong with the first. It's a little slower but it would still work. (Plus two full regular backups kept off-site.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    For repairs within an extended warranty anything up to 6 weeks is classified as ‘reasonable’ so 7 to 9 working days is actually pretty good.  I know it’s not what you wanted to hear but your fighting a losing battle to get them to do it in one day.  
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3287
    tFB Trader
    My local Apple store always takes about a week to turn around MBP repairs, even if they have the parts in stock.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ICBM said:
    I would say you're stuffed. They're complying with consumer law and I would say 7-9 days is quite reasonable for a repair if it's not something they think can be done on the spot.

But... if you're running a business which *relies* on a computer and you don't have a backup you're running a serious risk anyway. What happens if it suddenly dies? You're then stuffed even more. This can happen...

Do you have you data backed up properly? As in on at least two external hard drives kept in different buildings, and/or online?

I don't even 'rely' on my computer, but I still always have two, with the important data copied onto the second one so I can carry on in the event of something going wrong with the first. It's a little slower but it would still work.
    It’s a simple repair, they said so themselves - take old screen off & put new one on.

I don’t expect to walk in there tomorrow and expect it fixed, but make arrangements for a planned date to get it sorted.

Yes I’m backed up (iCloud Drive for everything plus airport time capsule). If it suddenly died I could be back up and running in a couple of hours with a new machine. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    guitarcookie1 said:

Yes I’m backed up (iCloud Drive for everything plus airport time capsule). If it suddenly died I could be back up and running in a couple of hours with a new machine. 
    Glad to hear that. It's amazing how many people don't... even when it really matters.

Is it worth considering getting a second machine anyway? It doesn't have to be new or very high-spec as long as it would keep you going. Until recently my backup was a 14-year-old eMac! Very slow and clunky at the end but it had the ability to go online to find and display schematics, and operate my email, which is all I really *need*. (Aside from the Fretboard of course ;).). It's now my 2011 iMac which I replaced in December last year with a new one. It only runs at about half the speed of the new one - if that - but it's adequate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    There are a few places that rent macs. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5622
    You’re stuffed. That’s not unreasonable in the eyes of the law. 

I bought a Mac mini to use as a little server and backup machine when the portable is on the brink (or being replaced). Inexpensive second hand and nice little machine. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4328
    If the device is the only way you can run your business and you don't have a backup TO HAND then you are a fool. 

And you are being way too trusting to assume your backups to the cloud are all you need. You NEED local offsite backup of your data on a device entirely under your control. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • i also think 7-9 days is quite reasonable. tbh if your business rely s on your laptop you really need a backup or spare. get it sorted asap.
  • 7-9 days is very good. If you're running a business from it then you need to have something in place (ideally a second machine) for contingencies such as this otherwise you'll be in the kind of spot that you are sooner or later.