Southern Jam, Fest, Studio session ... 2nd June.

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 28420
It's been suggested that not everyone looks in the "Events" section, so hasn't seen that this is happening.

Following the success of the Leicester/Quad meet-up last year, and the subsequent Huddersfield meet-up last month, we're looking to arrange another session more accessible to those in "the South".

Spaces are limited, and will be allocated on a first paid, first served basis.

All the details are on this thread.

But, in short, it's happening at a studio complex, Woking, 2nd June.
:)
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28420
    Really?  No-one else fancies this???
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    At this rate the northern contingent of the forum will be crowned “real players” and the southern lot all mouth and no trousers :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12857
    I was interested depending on where it was as down here 20 miles can mean an hour plus drive depending on location, then it was booked when I am in Cornwall.

But I have since remembered I don't play in front of anyone else so would have been difficult for me anyway : )
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13681
    I personally fancy this a lot - but unfortunately I'm expecting a month from hell at work in May (new contract kick off basically depending entirely on a warehouse system I'm implementing and coding by myself), and therefore would likely have zero practise time, as you have some ace players coming, I'd embarrass myself more than usual! :)

I'd really recommend to anyone umming and ahhing reading this thread to seriously consider going, I went to the Leicester and Northampton jams and had a lovely day at both, and it was a great opportunity to play in "a band" with a group of like-minded individuals.

The team who organise them are all friendly and supportive even if you are in the "ten-thumbed noise polluter" club like me...

Looked to be filling up quick to me....?

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    munckee said:

But I have since remembered I don't play in front of anyone else so would have been difficult for me anyway : )
    A large part of the original purpose of these sessions was to give people who don't play in front of anyone else (myself included!) an opportunity to do exactly that, if they chose to.

The sessions are part structured (the main setlist) and part unstructured (informal jams, or just gear chat). 

The setlist is intended to be a something-for-everyone  too - hence the focus on ensuring that a large number of the songs chosen are reasonably easy for people to learn and just get up and play.  That said, there are a few performances that really allow the more experienced attendees to really show what they can do.

The team who organise them are all friendly and supportive even if you are in the "ten-thumbed noise polluter" club like me...

And a lot of it is just about confidence.  Getting up and playing a gig in a pub (or whatever) can be quite offputting if you've never performed in front of anyone before.  Performing at a theFB jam session ensures that you've got a very supportive audience, with plenty of people around beforehand for some last minute "how do I do this bit" coaching and practising.

The Southern one has the potential to be just a little bit special too ...

(but more on that later  ;) )
  • FezFez Frets: 573
    I would be up for it but I can't do that date. 
    Don't touch that dial.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    edited February 2018
    I’ve leaked it on the other thread... time to say the same here methinks....

Darrin Mooney (Primal scream) will be playing drums and staring at the arses of whoever is attending on the day!...

for more info on Darrin...

http://www.darrinmooney.com/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    poopot said:
    I’ve leaked it on the other thread... time to say the same here methinks....

Darrin Mooney (Primal scream) will be playing drums and staring at the arses of whoever is attending on the day!...

for more info on Darrin...

http://www.darrinmooney.com/

Cool! Played with Gary Moore for a bit too, so no pressure... ;)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    edited February 2018
    simonk said:

Cool! Played with Gary Moore for a bit too, so no pressure...
    He’s played with a lot worse than us lot in the past!... trust me

TTony said:

And a lot of it is just about confidence.  Getting up and playing a gig in a pub (or whatever) can be quite offputting if you've never performed in front of anyone before. 
    Tbh I gig most weekends and have done for years... my balloon knot still twitches before every gig.

I have a pal who tours the world with a very famous band (not gonna say who, don’t ask) and he plays in front of tens of thousands of people... he’s admited to me he still bricks it before he goes on!!!!!

On the day, you will prolly f£&k something up... just be safe in the knowledge that so will everyone else!.

I will be bringing this on the day just in case.

http://a65.tinypic.com/juiarr.jpg

And I guarantee you will all leave with one of these:

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8061
    edited February 2018
    I don't like playing covers as much as improvised jams so will probly pass until the next gearfest. 
  • I don't like playing covers as much as improvised jams so will probly pass until the next gearfest. 
    The informal jam rooms get used for just such a purpose. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    I couldn't resist I'm in :)  Sent Paypal etc and posted in the main thread :)
    I don't like playing covers as much as improvised jams so will probly pass until the next gearfest. 
    @Winny_Pooh ;

There will be 3 rooms at the WaterRat - much as there was at Quad/Leicester and (I think) Sasquatch/Huddersfield.  We only had a couple of rooms at Northampton.

Room1;   The formalised setlist performances, so that everyone who wants to play something in a full band gets to do so.
    Room2;  the informal as-it-happens jam sessions
    Room3;  gear lust, chat & chill

Looks like we're going to be very fortunate at the WaterRat session in that we're going to have enough drumming & bassing capability to support those in both Room 1 & 2, so any informal jams can have drums & bass too - if  required.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8061
    edited February 2018
    @TTony sounds good, will join.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    A bit too far from me - and my confidence isn’t quite where it needs to be yet to get over that fear of playing around other people - but I’d certainly be revisiting that with another year’s lessons under my belt :) 
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    A bit too far from me - and my confidence isn’t quite where it needs to be yet to get over that fear of playing around other people - but I’d certainly be revisiting that with another year’s lessons under my belt :) 
    Rubbish! I'm utter shite and I'll be having a bash, get yer arse there for the craic if nothing else! Would be great to put a face to the name! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    edited February 2018
    BRISTOL86 said:
    A bit too far from me - and my confidence isn’t quite where it needs to be yet to get over that fear of playing around other people - but I’d certainly be revisiting that with another year’s lessons under my belt  
    @BRISTOL86
     Honestly - turning up to this session and playing will do more for your confidence levels than a whole year of lessons.

Legionreturns said:
     I'm utter shite 
    You shouldn't believe everything that @Bridgehouse says.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm just working out if me/our car is needed that day as it's half term.  Hopefully will be able to confirm in the next day or so.  Would be good to come and chat and meet people, and especially since I work occasionally with Kim who runs the studios!

BRISTOL86 said:
    Rubbish! I'm utter shite and I'll be having a bash, get yer arse there for the craic if nothing else! Would be great to put a face to the name! 
    I can only add to the list of people saying that you would be made very welcome, and it is a great time.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited February 2018
    I have no doubt that I’d be made very welcome and have great fun. It’s my issue that I’m working on and I’ll definitley be at future events as i get a bit better and confidence grows. This ones just a little too soon....and a little too far!

I’ve already resolved to play in the student concert this time next year - my tutor organises one for all his students annually and it’s on Saturday so again was a bit soon for me having literally just started lessons but I’ve already promised to do it next year....providing I’m back from honeymoon in time!!