Stripped Strap pin repair recommendations

What's Hot
Gigging my beloved Collings at the weekend and during the performance the strap flew off. Thought it strange as I'd grolsch type strap locks on but then discovered that the screw had been pulled clean out of the body and now won't provide a secure hold when screwed back in. 

So how to repair it best.... the old matchstick and glue approach? Drill out the hole (eeek!) and slide in a small diameter hardwood dowel? Any other recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Matchstick and glue will be fine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My only concern is that a matchstick is soft wood.
  • It won't matter as the screw will tighten it all up and dig in
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    Don’t drill it out and dowel, that will weaken it.

Simply get a toothpick and some wood glue. Break the toothpick into three pieces, put wood glue in the hole, push the pieces of toothpick in - tap them in gently if they’re a bit tight, and don’t worry if you can’t get all three in - break off any excess length, wipe off any excess glue, and then put the screw and button back in straight away before the glue dries.

This isn’t a bodge as it may sound, it’s the best and strongest way. The compression from the screw will force the glue to bond the bits of toothpick to the remains of the old thread really well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    What @ICBM said. It really is the best way. I've done it quite a few times and never had any problems.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Toothpick method is probably stronger than the original fixture!

I have used wood filler in the past, knowing I would never get the screw back out, and that was also insanely strong.