OH FFFFFFFS !!!!!!!! ARRRGGHHH !!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• Can you not say you were being chased by the paparazzi?

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ICBM said
    A 1950s/60s 2CV with the 425 or 435cc engine (that isn't a typo, and they presumably felt the extra 10cc was necessary!) is only capable of about 55 on a good day though.

Ok maybe we should get Emp one of these

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    edited August 2013
    ^He'd need one for each foot.

^He'd need one for each foot.

He'd also keep falling over  which might slow him down a bit

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25495
    I used to have a radar detector but once plod shifted over to laser, they were pointless.  Fat lot of good when the only warning you get is when they've just zapped you.  There are other devices available now - laser diffusers or something, but they are very illegal.  Likewise the reflective number plates that claim to obscure your registration from a camera - plus they also have the bonus of being obvious to any passing copper who can then book you for having them on.

The alternative - actually observing all the speed limits - for three years - is too horrible to think about just now.  Sticking to 70mph on the motorway is positively dangerous and very tiring.  Next time you're out on the motorway - try it and you'll see what I mean.  Stick to 70mph in lane 2 and you'll have everyone up your arse aggressively pushing you to go faster, do it in lane 1 and you will be jumping lanes every fifteen seconds to overtake the 50-60mph trucks and cloth-capped granddads before being tailgated by someone in lane 2 or, when you switch back to lane 1, you'll get sandwiched between two giant HGVs - a very very dangerous place to be indeed.

I am of course ignoring the fact that both of my recent infringements were on a 30mph B-road. :\">
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Sadly, all of that sage advice is useless around here. The chances of getting to travel at speeds higher than 20mph are precisely zero, as the Thanet mobile road blocks (old tits or old farts driving Nissan Micras) serve as a prevention against such wild and reckless behaviour as travelling at the legal limit. We have speed cameras here, but they're largely a waste of time, and in any case have usually been burnt, or otherwise vandalised by the locals.

• SporkySporky Frets: 30127
    Emp_Fab said:
     Sticking to 70mph on the motorway is positively dangerous and very tiring.  Next time you're out on the motorway - try it and you'll see what I mean.  Stick to 70mph in lane 2 and you'll have everyone up your arse aggressively pushing you to go faster, do it in lane 1 and you will be jumping lanes every fifteen seconds to overtake the 50-60mph trucks and cloth-capped granddads before being tailgated by someone in lane 2 or, when you switch back to lane 1, you'll get sandwiched between two giant HGVs - a very very dangerous place to be indeed.
    This still isn't true no matter how many times you post it. I stick to 70 on motorways (with occasional speeding up to pass traffic doing 68ish) and it's neither dangerous nor terrifying. In fact, last time you said this I kept count on my next motorway trip, and for the periods where I was doing 70 +- 2mph I passed more cars than I was passed by (I didn't count lorries or other vehicles restricted by law to less than 70mph).

There are motorways where there are a lot of people doing over 70 - the M40 springs to mind - but they tend to have lighter traffic so still no-one gets in anyone else's way.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2013
    If you're sat at 70mph on the motorway, and get someone aggressive up your arse it's probably Emp. ;)

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    The tone in this thread versus the tone in the cyclist thread is ... interesting, to say the least.
    I didn't mean anything overtly sexual in my previous post, by the way.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Both my niece and my sister have each been done for doing 37 TWICE on the same section of road in Wales by a mobile camera van. Wonder if it was the same place?
  • SpiderSpider Frets: 130
    I got a letter from South Yorkshire police warning me to slow down, apparently a camera had snapped me doing 31 mph in a 30 zone.

They were not taking it any further but warned me that if I was caught again they would, 31 mph FFS 
    >:P
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    I stick to 55-60 on the motorway and it's also neither dangerous or terrifying. Unless there are nut jobs around who come flying past at 70+, pull right in front of you and then slam on the brakes to get off at the next junction, as happened to me this morning. I'm not sure what was wrong with the big space behind me unless the quarter of a second longer it would have taken to reach the traffic lights at the end of the slip road would have ruined his day. Twat.

Deliberately driving at the same speed as the big lorries makes you see things from their point of view too - you start to plan to change speed as little as possible, to not brake unless you have to but ease off earlier and slow down naturally, to let other ones out in front if you when they need to overtake... and find your fuel costs drop by a third.

And your stress levels too - it sounds like you should probably try it Emp ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2013
    Sporky said:
    This still isn't true no matter how many times you post it. I stick to 70 on motorways (with occasional speeding up to pass traffic doing 68ish) and it's neither dangerous nor terrifying. In fact, last time you said this I kept count on my next motorway trip, and for the periods where I was doing 70 +- 2mph I passed more cars than I was passed by (I didn't count lorries or other vehicles restricted by law to less than 70mph).

There are motorways where there are a lot of people doing over 70 - the M40 springs to mind - but they tend to have lighter traffic so still no-one gets in anyone else's way.
    Yeah, but you live in Cholmondley-upon-Thames or something like that don't you ?  The only traffic you get down there are the cute little vans delivering the organic quinoa and designer champagne to Waitrose.  Try your pootling along at 70 on a jam-packed M4 corridor between Bridgend and, say, Bath, and you'll have 38 tonnes of angry prostitute murderer driving half an inch from your rear bumper.

@ICBM ; wise words. I drive on the A14 everyday (lucky me!!!) and tend to stick to the inside lane as it tends to have less idiots driving aggressively, and too fast.

Also I can chill and listen to some music in my own little world

I live in Guildford, commute to Reading about 3 days a week and have site visits all over the country (typically one a week). I was down in Bristol four times in the last three weeks, travelling there and back in rush hour each time. I'm fairly regularly up around Birmingham too, so I do drive on some of the busiest motorways at the busiest times. At 70.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Yeah but apparently you're sensible Spork and don't take the piss on the roads. Other people apparently find it amusing to push their luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm happy enough chucking the car around corners where it's reasonably safe to do so, but sticking to the speed limits seems like the intelligent thing to do; it saves getting caught and fined and a lot of the time - not all of the time but a lot of the time - the limits are pretty appropriate to the road in question.

It just doesn't seem worth the risk of getting a ticket to save a couple of minutes on a journey. Plus my car isn't enormously aerodynamic, so over 70 the fuel consumption shoots up.
    Oh I know there's no defence really.  I'm just smarting at getting caught.  Plus, there is the issue of the siting of the camera vans.  There is no question they prioritise the highest revenue sites and not the ones in most need of 'traffic calming'.  Anyway.. I had a bit of a shock... I've just checked my licence and I'm currently on 6 pts.  3 come off half way through October.  If I don't get the option to take a speed awareness course and can't get out of being done, that'll put me on 9 pts if I can drag the process out beyond October - or - very briefly, 12 if I can't.