Forum T shirts!

What's Hot

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1244
    edited August 2013
    To be honest, I just think you need to kick some ideas about and come up with something.
    You will never please everyone and many of the logos now considered classics were rejected by many people in the selection process.

My own opinion is that while the "pick smileys" are fun, they wouldn't work so well in a single colour.

I've come up with something based on the sort of think I like. I wanted some kind of humour in there and a less corporate look and feel than the evil Radar empire had. I started thinking about the split from the Radar forum (radar=ships/sea?) and came up with a pirate idea. I used a tattoo/skate type look, which I believe is popular with the young folk these days. I have applied it to a shirt, just to give it some context. I think it's a strong image that carries the "breakaway" message in a fun way. 

This is just my offering. Don't feel like you have to like it, much less use it. I would say that these things take a long time to do (I'm guessing at 5-6 hours work for this one) and there's a lot more to it than just robbing an image off the web and applying a few filters in photoshop (which I didn't use).

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    not my cup of char.  something simpler, just the board and the wording would be better for me

Just an opinion :)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18303
    tFB Trader
    Awesome work Basher. 
    I'd wear it!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30119
    Basher said:
    My own opinion is that while the "pick smileys" are fun, they wouldn't work so well in a single colour.

I think you're almost certainly right. Is 4-colour that expensive?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    I think we should have a week for anyone who wants to, to come up with something, then post them all in one new thread as we can see which we fancy. I'm up for doing a design, and I'm quite happy to be rejected!
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1244
    edited August 2013
    bertie said:
    not my cup of char.  something simpler, just the board and the wording would be better for me

Just an opinion :)
    Absolutely fine! Like I said, you can't please everyone. Part of the problem here is the lack of a proper design brief (which would give an indication of any style, colour, ideas that would need to be incorporated) and the lack of someone in overall charge with a mandate to make decisions. 

We need a forum emperor, who will rule us kindness yet not be afraid to smite miscreants with a rod of iron.
    tFB Trader
    As TTony has said he will pay to get them printed I suspect he will have final say. 

• That's great work, Basher. Very impressive.

Unfortunately XL's no good to me :(
    tFB Trader
    I'm starting to think something like a Cafe Press type solution might be the best idea.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    I'm starting to think something like a Cafe Press type solution might be the best idea.
    OMGTHIS

Surely everyone would rather pay a bit extra if it meant everyone could have one in the right size?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Basher said:
    Like I said, you can't please everyone.
    I suspect most designers feel that you can't please anyone!

I liked your design - it was clean and actually pretty clever - but I don't think it's something I'd wear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    bertie said:
    dindude said:
    axisus said:

I rather like the look of the 4 plectrum smilies that someone poster earlier! that with some phrase maybe??

"Plays like butter" ?
    with -  "So's your mum"   underneath ?
    Yes, I vote for this.
  • Basher said:
    Also, more colours would necessitate a transfer (nasty) whereas a single colour could be screen printed (nice).
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28419
    edited August 2013

@Basher

Design brief ... what I suggested to @DDLooping (and what I'd still be interested in seeing DD) was something along the lines of the banner image at the top of the page.  It is - by default - our identity and uses - by definition - our forum colours (@Sporky), though the number of colours that it uses would increase the printing price. 

We then needed to incorporate the www address and some sort of strapline (which I'm open to suggestions on, but preferably serious ones).

I like your design if we could lose the fx box (as said by @Bertie). ; Fretboard, strap and strapline.  Simple, effective, and cheap to print.

@axisus, nice idea to have an open competition (and I did consider that initially), but then we'd end up with a dozen competing designs, each of which would have its advocates, each of whom would want their preference in their own size, and colour, and brand of t-shirt.  Design by committee & vote?  No.

@monquixote, I have looked at the cafepress approach, but it's pricey.  We'd probably have to sell at £20, and we might make a 10%margin for the coffers - 20% at best, if we sold a truckload.  One for the future perhaps, but I don't think it's viable at the moment.

This one will be a special, one-off, limited-run, commemorative edition, collectors pack, by invitation only edition.  In black.  In XL.  On a decent-quality shirt.

Unless there's a military intervention and someone else wants to take this on ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    Yes agreed and I'll deffo have one. 

Perhaps once that's done we can set up a shop site for other sizes colours, designs, mugs etc.  
    How's about we do a one-off run as discussed.

Then we have a Zazzle/Spreadshirt type system for people to buy things on-demand, and have occasional one-off specials as well?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28419
    Sporky said:
    How's about we do a one-off run as discussed.

Then we have a Zazzle/Spreadshirt type system for people to buy things on-demand, and have occasional one-off specials as well?

That's what I'm thinking.

As we get bigger, the own-shop approach becomes more viable, just because we'll have more volume.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Gets my vote Sporky.

I'll probably put my name down for one too.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • I really like Basher's design, very cool and clever. I'd definitely wear that.

Only concern I have is that it whilst it is a great stand-alone designe, it doesn't tie in with any of the forum's existing styling, so as a means of advertising the site it may be a bit confusing.

• Sporky;18504" said:
    So something like:

theFretboard.co.uk:) :( ;) :D >:D< :x :P :-O B-) :-S :| :-<

So's your face
    Perfect :-)