Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Medicinal Cannabis

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited February 2018
    underdog said:

Not only would the extra tax income be huge, but it would of also remove the "gateway drug", it would stop teens getting on first name terms with a local dealer so they can have a smoke and could prevent an introduction in to both petty crime and harder drugs.

Same with the sex industry, why not just make it legal and above board, tax it, give the workers a safe environment and remove the layer of crime and criminals that control it.
    Most teens would know the name of a local dealer firsthand anyway. Why? Because the majority of dealers are someone you know already. In some dodgy areas it may lead to petty crime but the majority of kids get high, let it wear off and go home, not go out and start a crimewave. The true gateway drugs are already legal, cigarettes and alcohol, alcohol being a big cause of petty crime already. 

I disagree with you sorry, I'm not an old man, and am certainly not anti drugs or kids, but alcohol may fuel punch ups, and anti social behaviour, but kids coming in to contact with small time dealers can quickly escalate when one kid wants to impress his new friend.

As pointed out above legalising drugs would wipe out a huge level of crime over night, some of it crimes you wouldn't even association with Dave in flat 4 selling a bit of weed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    I disagree with you sorry, I'm not an old man, and am certainly not anti drugs or kids, but alcohol may fuel punch ups, and anti social behaviour, but kids coming in to contact with small time dealers can quickly escalate when one kid wants to impress his new friend.

As pointed out above legalising drugs would wipe out a huge level of crime over night, some of it crimes you wouldn't even association with Dave in flat 4 selling a bit of weed.
    Quickly escalate into what? 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    underdog said:

Well a few months back around here a guy got stabbed to death in front of his misses because he owed £200 for weed to a guy who was his "friend" at the time of buying on tick. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    underdog said:

Well a few months back around here a guy got stabbed to death in front of his misses because he owed £200 for weed to a guy who was his "friend" at the time of buying on tick. 
    OK. We could both pull examples til the cows come home but I think we'll just derail the thread. 

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

Like I said I'm not against drugs, I just think forcing kids to use them illegally introduces them to a needless level of criminality
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    edited February 2018
    I was with her until it said this could just be for her son and doesn't have to open the flood gates.
    I don't see how there would be only one person in the UK that is allowed cannabis on the NHS.

Either it will be for everyone that needs it, or they'll say no completely. If it's the latter then she's just drawn so much attention to herself that she won't dare buy it illegally for her son and he will suffer, so I hope it's the former.

At 6 years old he won't even see it as drugs. He'll just see it as a bit of oil his mum puts on his tongue to make him feel better (and that's basically all it is anyway).
  • DefaultM said:
    I was with her until it said this could just be for her son and doesn't have to open the flood gates.
    only Daily Wail readers care about such imaginary things as "flood gates" ... as if drug crazed MS sufferers are really going to gang up in hordes to rape chickens and bite the heads off old ladies
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I assumed it meant the floodgates to people who smoke weed, want to stop buying from a dodgy dealer and get it on the NHS, but don't have a medical reason.

If it opens the floodgates to people with illnesses being able to access it then good! 

I've suffered with depression and anxiety since I was 17 and I'm now 29.
    It's been absolutely overwhelming at times. I've left bands because of it, had very extended periods off work, I couldn't get out of bed on my daughter's 1st birthday despite being on the highest dose of Sertraline.

Sprinkle a tiny bit of a plant in to a bowl though and what happens? Absolutely anything I want. I'm ready to go. The tightness goes from my chest. The lump goes from my throat. My legs spring in to action.

This isn't even enough to feel high. I do see a problem if everyone is really baked and trying to drive about as normal, so it's how you stop that.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • There are already laws about driving under the influence of drink or drugs. Drink-driving is slowly but surely becoming socially unacceptable and I think that even if smoking pot becomes legal it is unlikely that driving while stoned will become socially acceptable. Or maybe I'm just being a bit hopeful - the people who smoke pot not caring whether or not pot is legal may not care whether driving while stoned is legal, unless the penalties are severe. I'm sure that there are many who would drive after 2 or 3 pints but don't, because they know what would happen if they were caught. That sort of deterrence may catch on with smokers too.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    You would think that people wouldn't do it, but for some reason it's quite a common belief that it actually makes you a better driver.
     I couldn't comment because I've never really fancied potentially risking my life for a snack food run to the supermarket.
  • 1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    edited February 2018
    There are already laws about driving under the influence of drink or drugs. Drink-driving is slowly but surely becoming socially unacceptable and I think that even if smoking pot becomes legal it is unlikely that driving while stoned will become socially acceptable. Or maybe I'm just being a bit hopeful - the people who smoke pot not caring whether or not pot is legal may not care whether driving while stoned is legal, unless the penalties are severe. I'm sure that there are many who would drive after 2 or 3 pints but don't, because they know what would happen if they were caught. That sort of deterrence may catch on with smokers too.
    You're exactly right - driving under the influence of drugs is already illegal and there are tests for it, just as with alcohol. 

http://think.direct.gov.uk/drug-driving.html

Bear in mind that prohibition simply doesn't work - most people who want to smoke pot already do. There's no reason to think that there would be a huge increase in use if it became legal - and even if there was, those people who don't currently use it *because* it's illegal, but would if it was legal, by that very logic are exactly the sort who would obey the law on drug driving as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited February 2018
    ICBM said:
    There are already laws about driving under the influence of drink or drugs. Drink-driving is slowly but surely becoming socially unacceptable and I think that even if smoking pot becomes legal it is unlikely that driving while stoned will become socially acceptable. Or maybe I'm just being a bit hopeful - the people who smoke pot not caring whether or not pot is legal may not care whether driving while stoned is legal, unless the penalties are severe. I'm sure that there are many who would drive after 2 or 3 pints but don't, because they know what would happen if they were caught. That sort of deterrence may catch on with smokers too.
    You're exactly right - driving under the influence of drugs is already illegal and there are tests for it, just as with alcohol. 

Bear in mind that prohibition simply doesn't work - most people who want to smoke pot already do. There's no reason to think that there would be a huge increase in use if it became legal - and even if there was, those people who don't currently use it *because* it's illegal, but would if it was legal, by that very logic are exactly the sort who would obey the law on drug driving as well.
    Bullshit. The Devil's lettuce would tear their lives apart, and I for one thank our government for being selfless in protecting us from this evil plant.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

The problem with those tests is that they only show the presence of a substance in the bloodstream which IMO is no proof that the person is incapable. Someone who gets stoned at a party on Saturday night will test positive for THC up to a month afterwards but please don't try to tell me he is still stoned on Monday morning.
  • ICBM said:

The problem with those tests is that they only show the presence of a substance in the bloodstream which IMO is no proof that the person is incapable. Someone who gets stoned at a party on Saturday night will test positive for THC up to a month afterwards but please don't try to tell me he is still stoned on Monday morning.

They can measure concentration, which is a better indicator. 
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    ICBM said:

I know someone who got a ban for driving with thc in his system, they use a swab that detects unprocessed thc in your mouth, I think it's a specific enzyme it looks for. 

I suffer with ptsd (post traumatic shock disorder) I can go from a quivering nervous wreck scared to leave my house to only being very slightly on edge from smoking one spliff, admittedly I don't smoke small ones though. 

It has been used as medication for thousands of years, you can't overdose on it as you will be asleep way before the needed amount, look at the deaths caused by alcohol and cigarettes compared to deaths from weed which adds up go exactly 0 a year.

• speshul91 said:
    ICBM said:

I know someone who got a ban for driving with thc in his system, they use a swab that detects unprocessed thc in your mouth, I think it's a specific enzyme it looks for. 

I suffer with ptsd (post traumatic shock disorder) I can go from a quivering nervous wreck scared to leave my house to only being very slightly on edge from smoking one spliff, admittedly I don't smoke small ones though. 

It has been used as medication for thousands of years, you can't overdose on it as you will be asleep way before the needed amount, look at the deaths caused by alcohol and cigarettes compared to deaths from weed which adds up go exactly 0 a year.

Except these folks. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-cannabis-cultivation-marijuana-farm-vietnamese-minors-children-short-film-a7999426.html?amp

Okay, would be fine if legalised... Or somewhat at least. 

I know a few people who smoke regularly and they're pretty addicted - they claim they're not, but struggle to go more than a couple of days without a spliff, finding themselves paranoid or nervous. They all struggle to hold down a job too - I don't know whether any of this is in anyway caused by the cannabis or whether the cannabis helps. Without proper studies it's hard to say. 

I did read a scientific paper about a team who are studying marijuana to try to create a strain with all the positive effects (including relief of symptoms caused by various disorders, as well as the obvious social effects) but without the chemically addictive or otherwise negative chemicals (such as loss of concentration, "wooziness" etc). Certainly a topic of growing interest in the community.

http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/1971/J3/J39710000579#!divAbstract

http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2017/cc/c7cc06999e#!divAbstract

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/clinical-trials-high-on-list-for-medical-marijuana-community/8266.article

These studies seem largely unrelated, but this isolating and synthesising compounds is the groundwork that will eventually lead to real answers - and hopefully a much better way for our legal system to handle it (ie legalise and control it).