'Ere - have you seen the weather forecast ?!

What's Hot

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    edited February 2018
    All these posts and not a single picture. I am disappoint.
    My daughter just looks like a run-of-the-mill chav, to be honest. I didn't think it was necessary.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM yes I did the lights but didn't even look at the numberplates - least of my worries!

At the end of my road is a rather steep bit of hill. Spent half an hour spreading sand&grit out of the council's big yellow plastic box, along with some others who had got stuck. Several of us went down on our arses, it was well slippy.

Out on the main drag there were a few who were driving a lot slower than usual, but most were driving cautiously without reducing to a crawl. Yes I know the air temperature is below zero but that doesn't mean the road is going to freeze. It might overnight but with the amount of HGVs on it, it's going to stay above freezing for most of the time. Asphalt warms up when people drive vehicles over it.

I'm way more worried about getting home this evening, and in particular up that there hill. If I couldn't drive up it, I'd be likely to drive back to the pub and leave the car in the car park as it's only a few minutes walk away.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

I'm way more worried about getting home this evening, and in particular up that there hill. If I couldn't drive up it, I'd be likely to drive back to the pub and leave the car in the car park as it's only a few minutes walk away.
    That sounds like a very good excuse for being "unable" to drive home ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Having a light snow shower here in north London atm. Some pretty impressive little flurries yesterday but nothing too disruptive.

I'm driving to Amersham today, Guildford this evening and then back to London tomorrow, I'm hoping that will all be ok.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • The media really are making a meal of this. Sensationalist headlines like "the beast from the east" do nothing but promote panic. The front page of the BBC has a story saying "Kent is worst hit with up to 10cm"
    Thats 3 fucking inches for Gods sake
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30117
    Bucket said:
    Having a light snow shower here in north London atm. Some pretty impressive little flurries yesterday but nothing too disruptive.

I'm driving to Amersham today, Guildford this evening and then back to London tomorrow, I'm hoping that will all be ok.
    It is snowing in Guildford right now, but in a decorative way. It doesn't seem to be hitting the ground anywhere.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28419

We've probably had had 50 millimetres of snow out here.  50 !!!

(That sounds so much more dramatic than "a couple of inches"). 

In places  where it's in shadow, it's barely melting either.  

No surprise that Abellio Greater Anglia have had to cancel most of their services today.  No way could a 200 ton train make its way though such extreme weather.

The outlook for the human race doesn't look too secure if we can't deal with a bit of soft white wet stuff in the middle of  winter.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thats 3 fucking inches for Gods sake
    That's what she said...!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    The media really are making a meal of this. Sensationalist headlines like "the beast from the east" do nothing but promote panic. The front page of the BBC has a story saying "Kent is worst hit with up to 10cm"
    Be fair... it's almost four inches!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    The media really are making a meal of this. Sensationalist headlines like "the beast from the east" do nothing but promote panic. The front page of the BBC has a story saying "Kent is worst hit with up to 10cm"
    Only 1,6mm short
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • ewalewal Frets: 2815
    Completely agree. A bit chilly with a few blustery showers - no need for constant attention and scaremongering headlines.
  • The media really are making a meal of this. Sensationalist headlines like "the beast from the east" do nothing but promote panic. The front page of the BBC has a story saying "Kent is worst hit with up to 10cm"
    Probably sponsored by the supermarkets. There was virtually no bread in Sainsbury's yesterday evening. FFS. Just like Christmas, this will last for one day.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • ICBM said:
    Sorry, I didn't want to add to the panic
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    Worst hit in England maybe. There are 230 schools closed in north and mid Wales today and not a mention on the national news. 

It's tedious how cancelling a couple of London trains for no discernible reason and a dusting of snow in Kent means we ALL have to listen to their terrible woes ad nauseum. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2478
    Do 3 fucking inches = 4 imperial inches?
  • Jimbro66 said:
    Do 3 fucking inches = 4 imperial inches?
    No. 6 fucking inches = x imperial inches, 2 <= x <= 5
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 993
    Coming down nicely throughout central London now.

We'll never hear the end of it. 
  • KKJale said:

well at least the news bulletins won't have enough time for yet more on how HMG is screwing up Brexit and letting the remoaners tell us yet again why it's going to be such a disaster...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • North Kent is buried under 100,000 microns. The world has ended.

My entire factory crew made it in today for 6am bar one who fell off his bike trying. Finance, Marketing, Commercial - tumbleweeds blowing through the offices.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4713
    KKJale said:

well at least the news bulletins won't have enough time for yet more on how HMG is screwing up Brexit and letting the remoaners tell us yet again why it's going to be such a disaster...
    To date, total number of "Remoaners" using a lighthearted thread about snow to shoehorn in a comment about Brexit: 0.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom