Feedback

What's Hot

Comments

• IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131

Hey guys, can you help please.  A good friend of mine is having trouble with his PC freezing when he tries to access theFB site.  It is causing more than a little frustration for him, and may be a problem others have too.  As he is having trouble with access, I have offered to act as intermediary for him.

"I'm using Firefox with Windows 7 and virtually every time I hit the 'home' page my laptop freezes.  No idea why this happens.  Cursor freezes too so I'm stuffed." to quote him on the problem.

What do you need to know to help narrow the problem?

I assume, in my luddite way, that it is a software conflict with whatever the site runs on his PC.

He was advised to install Firebug, but having done that he has no idea what to do with it.

Thanks in advance for your help, it is much appreciated,   cheers,   Chris
    I get the same problem with firefox on 7 on my laptop but no problem with firefox on my desktop with XP so it must be the 7 it only locks up for a wile then clears

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ianpdq said:
    ChrisMusic said:    Hey guys, can you help please.  A good friend of mine is having trouble with his PC freezing when he tries to access theFB site...
    I get the same problem with firefox on 7 on my laptop but no problem with firefox on my desktop with XP so it must be the 7 it only locks up for a wile then clears
    His problem is intermittent, he has all updates on auto, so both 7Pro and FF (23.0.1?), and has cleaned down the system regularly.
    Starting in Firefox 'safe mode' seems to work fine.
    Looks like it may be OK now, but part of the solution was possibly stealing his wife's laptop  ;)
    I will pass on your comments, so thanks @Ianpdq.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    I suspect it's a problem with his browser (or a plugin on his browser) rather than this site. 
  • Jalapeno said:
    ChrisMusic said:    Nice one Sporky, works perfectly, cheers   :)
    Another thought, as you have been kind enough to share your wisdom, is that there should be a repository for all these goodies, so that they are not lost, but shared with the whole community in an "access on demand" sort of way.

There is --> http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/89/vanilla-newbs-how-to/p1
    Doh !!!  I read through that when I first joined too.  Thanks @Jalapeno, I trust this referenced nugget of wisdom will be added too.
    I usually end up at the #latest on each discussion, I have made a note to myself to check back on the newbs P1 occasionally, cheers.

• Somewhere easy to find stuff, newbie or not.  May need a little more thought chaps.  At the top of the page with the rules?

The 'posting pictures' was a frustration for many on the old place, but despite how straight forward it is here, or probably after the old place *because* of how straight forward it is here, it is catching people out on almost every other new post / discussion.  Just check http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/2594/uploading-pics as an example.

That along with location, prices / valuation for trade, etc would make the classifieds much smoother.  They are amongst the first questions we all ask.  Or walk away if they are not provided, I know I do.

I love a good piccy, helps lubricate the GAS and NGD for us all, and that is one of the strengths of this place, easy to post pics and videos and all, making it a much richer place to be for every one of us.

• SporkySporky Frets: 30126
    That along with prices / valuation for trade, etc would make the classifieds much smoother.  They are amongst the first questions we all ask.  Or walk away if they are not provided, I know I do.
    Those are all covered in the rules at the top of each Classifieds section - if we spot that someone's not included such we politely request that they do, and the vast majority have been happy to add them.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Thanks Sporky, I normally navigate theFB from "Recent Discussions" but I did check the rules when I first arrived.
    A few tweaks since, but very clear, and very sensible.
    Now how do you get everyone to read them?
    Would it be a good place at the top to put a few often asked questions like "how to post pictures" or "how to move section" when you realise you put it in the wrong one ?
    Missed the location bit though, makes it much easier if someone is maybe an hour away, just pop over, give it a try before you buy, or am I just a bit "old school" ?  It is one of the first things I check, plus if they are open enough to put it there.  Long distance trades are no problem, it's just nice to know at the outset.

A good point. I will discuss it with the mods & Admins - adding location seems sensible. Thanks!
  • Hey Sporky, thanks for the positive response, especially on the location thing, It really should be in the User Profile for every one, either nearest town or city or whatever.  Then it is available when looking to buy or to sell, or for the generous spirited on here, to offer help in person to others.  I think it would be a positive thing if it was fully implemented, I'll leave it to you guys to decide if and what to implement.  You have all done a great job so far. cheers, Chris.

• FazerFazer Frets: 488
    what's happened to the 'underline' in the text formatting?
    is it still there?
    i cant see it - it goes: bold,italic,strikethrough, and then goes on to text size etc.

seems strange to have strikethrough but not underline, and it was definitely there a couple of weeks ago
    That is indeed rather odd.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1656
    edited September 2013

If you click on Activity, you'll see several comments that relate to trades/sales and use real names as opposed to usernames.

I think what's happening is that people are mistakenly adding comments to user's profile pages - thinking that the message will arrive as a PM.

I nearly did the same thing myself not long back, so perhaps the pm function could do with being made idiot proof? 

We did highlight that already. I'm not sure how to address this though; maybe something on the profile page making it clear that posts there are publicly viewable?
  • That sounds like an idea.

Overall I really like the format of this new site. 

• I'm not very fond of the draft saving thing. So far I've had to delete several drafts that saved automatically and haven't yet actually used one. If there is an option to deactivate it already I can't find it. I'd like one.
  • Sporky;37442" said:
    We did highlight that already. I'm not sure how to address this though; maybe something on the profile page making it clear that posts there are publicly viewable?
    @Sporky

I don't seem to be able to delete the ones on my activity page.

If possible could an admin/mod do the honours for me.

Thanks in advance.
  • I'm not very fond of the draft saving thing. So far I've had to delete several drafts that saved automatically and haven't yet actually used one. If there is an option to deactivate it already I can't find it. I'd like one.
    No option I'm afraid. I don't know whether we can hack one in either.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I like the draft function means I get time to cool off re-read and chuckle at some of my posts ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    johnnyurq said:
    @Sporky

I don't seem to be able to delete the ones on my activity page.

If possible could an admin/mod do the honours for me.

Thanks in advance.
    Hmm - you ought to be able to do it yourself, there's a black X top right of each post when you hover over it.

I've done all the ones with email addresses in them for now though. :)
  • Cheers @Sporky.

Sadly no black x comes up when I do this on any posts there. Although rather strangely one I posted in reply I managed to delete by a "delete" hyperlink at the bottom of the post, but nowt appears on the other 2 remaining posts at all.

They were posted by others and I wonder if that is why I cannot delete them.

Most peculiar but not a great issue really and it is more than feasible that I am being dense, failure is always an option.
    :D