Evolving the "English" language?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @tony99 yes there are many "correct" forms of english. which, as you say, means there is no one absolute catch-all. I think the distinction between a "correct" form and one which isn't could be made on the derivation of the difference: if I walk into a foreign country and start using their language in a way that they don't, then I'm being incorrect - same the other way round. @p90fool same for "american english". YMMV :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7401
    @tony99 yes there are many "correct" forms of english. which, as you say, means there is no one absolute catch-all. I think the distinction between a "correct" form and one which isn't could be made on the derivation of the difference: if I walk into a foreign country and start using their language in a way that they don't, then I'm being incorrect - same the other way round. @p90fool same for "american english".
    my own prediction for the next significant change would probably be accepted usage of "of" replacing the auxiliary verb "have" as in "should of" and "could of"

that'll be grammatically 'correct' in English language textbooks soon enough, its usage is too widespread not to be..
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!

• I think English from the middle ages would be incomprehensible if spoken, and is incomprehensible when written 
    I forget the name of the flat earther in this Parish but he proves this point in many posts.