Native English speakers

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2587
    English is great for exactly that reason, so much of our literature and humour is built around phrases which can have several meanings.

However, in certain situations it is a disadvantage. When I'm dealing with an emergency at work I'm sometimes perceived to be rude because I keep thing as clear and concise as possible, which people misinterpret as being blunt. In those situations lack of clarity can lead to serious misunderstandings or mistakes.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    other languages have similar easy ways to screw up..
    in Spanish, he is, she is, it is conjugates exactly the same in every verb
    so it's not always that easy to figure out who or what is being spoken about until a bit later in the sentence or paragraph
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    It always amuses me to think of foreign footballers and how they communicate with native English speakers. Imagine a German or Spanish player trying to understand the Liverpool or Newcastle accent. Knowing English is not much help...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7401
    Clarky said:
    so it's not always that easy to figure out who or what is being spoken about until a bit later in the sentence or paragraph

not to be funny, but you do realise in the example that you have given in English, the verb is conjugating exactly the same, he IS she IS it IS
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    tony99 said:
    Clarky said:

not to be funny, but you do realise in the example that you have given in English, the verb is conjugating exactly the same, he IS she IS it IS
    That's because he's not really conjugating it, he's giving 3 different instances of the 3rd person singular. Conjugation would go I am, you are, he/she/it is  ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7401
    tony99 said:
    Clarky said:

That's because he's not really conjugating it, he's giving 3 different instances of the 3rd person singular. Conjugation would go I am, you are, he/she/it is  ...
    he is conjugating it for the third person, he's conjugated the infinitive verb "to BE" in the third person, but it just so happens that third person conjugation is exactly the same in spanish as it is in english

that's why your example says he/she/it, third person conjugation is the same for he she or it, just as it is in english

also, in your example you give examples of first, second and third person, in english they're all different, as they are in spanish, soy, eres, es
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10010
    KEFs, Tannoys, B&Ws, they're all English speakers and I like 'em

Tannoys have been Scottish since the 1970s ;)
    Did a google and found more Tannoy history I didn't know:
    The company moved production to Coatsbridge, Scotland. That could have left the company being English (did they move their registered address?), but in any case merged with Goodmans in 1987 to form TGI, which then got bought by TC International in 2002, so by rights they became a Danish company. Then MUSIC Tribe bought TC in 2015 ...
    I was going by the info I had when I bought my Tannoy Reveals quite a few years ago (probably my best investment in terms of studio gear, still don’t feel any need to upgrade them). The company was based in Coatbridge at that time, but my speakers were made in Poland, so they’d already started outsourcing production to countries where labour was cheaper.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    thermionic said:

The company was based in Coatbridge at that time, but my speakers were made in Poland, so they’d already started outsourcing production to countries where labour was cheaper.
    Or possibly just more employable.

That's in the Buckfast Triangle...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11670
    Rocker said:
    It always amuses me to think of foreign footballers and how they communicate with native English speakers. Imagine a German or Spanish player trying to understand the Liverpool or Newcastle accent. Knowing English is not much help...
    In the dim and distant days of my youth I spent one summer working on a summer camp in Pennsylvania. One of my co-counsellors came from Redcar.

We didn't understand him half the time.

The Americans didn't have a chance.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 774
    Rocker said:
    They can always take the Jan Molby approach