Some cracking management-speak bullhonky

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    I once got an email from HP who I was buying a load of servers from saying they were: "Leveraging their tonal portfolio" 

Guesses as to what that turned out to mean?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    This is a question from my university degree's PDP (Personal Development Plan) self-assessment:

"Articulate a critical understanding of material, spatial, aural or media-based objects of study, using a range of written forms of presentation, noting specific terms, languages, references, genres and audience."
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7491
    I think it means.

"The imminent failure is not my fault."
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16465
    I once got an email from HP who I was buying a load of servers from saying they were: "Leveraging their tonal portfolio" 

well, leveraging means (basically) to borrow capital. For the life of me I can't imagine what a tonal portfolio is. As close as I can figure it, do they mean, like, printer ink?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• SporkySporky Frets: 30127

They were all going to be greige?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    edited August 2013

Having listened to exactly this kind of twaddle for many years, one either switches off, learns to translate it, or simply asks the person spouting the rubbish to put things in plain English. Which I must confess I've taken to doing more often these days.

I usually do it by saying "I understand where you're coming from Mr. (insert name of dickhead here), but perhaps you could put it in more simpler terms as there may be some around the table that are not quite as familiar with the subject as you are." This usually draws a few stifled guffaws or the odd cough. Yes, it may be a puerile pastime, but I'm a great believer in plain speaking. My immediate boss and I sometimes play at trying to insert odd phrases or nouns into meetings. Last time, he beat me hands down when I bet him he'd never be able to get the word "Snickers" into a discussion about trade figures.

"And with these brilliant sales figures, I think we can safely say it's 'nickers' to our competitors."

Easy peasy.

Nah, no way would I have paid up for that one! He said something like "General cargo encompasses a whole manner of goods, from Snickers to Knickers". Or something close to that. It was an impressive performance, and I handed him the fiver with good grace. The next bet is on me getting the word "stickleback" in somehow. I haven't accepted the challenge as yet, but he backed down from "prostitute", so I'm under a bit of pressure there.

on the topic of management speak, I actually miss it in a way. Now we work for ourselves, we just have to do stuff, we can't spend all day in meetings, on conference calls, writing memos, reading memos and so on. I miss the skiving of the workplace.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    VimFuego said:
    well, leveraging means (basically) to borrow capital. For the life of me I can't imagine what a tonal portfolio is. As close as I can figure it, do they mean, like, printer ink?
    They were going to change the colours of their servers. 
    ah, so they were invested in changing the colour of their servers. Yup, their way is much clearer...

VimFuego said:
    They were going to change the colours of their servers. 
    I was pretty close then. :)
  • Jeez, I feel really sorry for the guy quoted in the OP.
    He's really going to have to reposition in the business landscape & leverage the synergies within their capabilities if he's going to solutionize the issues around their mindset shortfall. That's literally the elephant in the room- going forward.
    I'm giving that an 8/10. Just missing "paradigm" and "blue-sky-thinking".
  • He's clearly living the paradigm, though it is shifting and blue sky thinking is immanent to the expeditionary mindset.
  • He really couldn't have been clearer.
    Nice work. Let's run it up the flagpole pro actively and see if our ducks are in a row.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As long as we all understand that there's no flagpole in team.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    As long as we all understand that there's no flagpole in team.
    I am using that in our next sales meeting. I owe you a pint.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom