Pet hate Radio dj

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Not sure if this has been mentioned already because skim read...but I had to stop listening to R2 as I'd probably end up going postal if I heard Steve Wright ruin one more song by insisting on singing over the end of it. Fucking knob. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    joneve said:
    Not sure if this has been mentioned already because skim read...but I had to stop listening to R2 as I'd probably end up going postal if I heard Steve Wright ruin one more song by insisting on singing. over the end of it. Fucking knob. 

Despite all the criticism directed towards Steve Wright, at least his diction is generally good, and I think he's got a (reasonably) acceptable radio voice. Yes it's very 'London', but far preferable to some of the indecipherable voices that can be found elsewhere. Maybe that's the problem - we can actually make out what he says. The other part of the problem with Wright, is that he hasn't changed his show to any real degree in years. Quite possible a fresh producer/assistant and a kick up the backside to revitalise his show might reap some reward for the listener. 

To provide some semblance of balance, I couldn't ever gel with the late Sir Terry Wogan on the radio. I think maybe you had to be a regular to to really appreciate how great he was. RIP Sir Terry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12881
    fandango said:
    joneve said:
    Not sure if this has been mentioned already because skim read...but I had to stop listening to R2 as I'd probably end up going postal if I heard Steve Wright ruin one more song by insisting on singing. over the end of it. Fucking knob. 

Despite all the criticism directed towards Steve Wright, at least his diction is generally good, and I think he's got a (reasonably) acceptable radio voice. Yes it's very 'London', but far preferable to some of the indecipherable voices that can be found elsewhere. Maybe that's the problem - we can actually make out what he says. The other part of the problem with Wright, is that he hasn't changed his show to any real degree in years. Quite possible a fresh producer/assistant and a kick up the backside to revitalise his show might reap some reward for the listener. 

To provide some semblance of balance, I couldn't ever gel with the late Sir Terry Wogan on the radio. I think maybe you had to be a regular to to really appreciate how great he was. RIP Sir Terry.
    The difference is, Wogan was hilarious at times, certainly if you were of a certain age. Steve Wright is a wanker all the time, not matter what age you are.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    edited March 2018
    ICBM said:
    Steve Wright.

Rhymes with Shoot On Sight for a reason.
    This.   How he is still relevant these days is beyond me .... he was only ever Kenny Everitt Lite at best, and that was 20-30 years ago !

Not quite so bad, but still iffy (in no particular order) - Anneka Rice, Lisa Tarbuck, Elaine Page - common theme is that they fall over their own words regularly. The Organist Entertains (yech !(

Love - Whispering Bob, Jamie Cullum, Jo Wiley, and late-night Jonathan Ross & Jools (much better than TV)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5406
    I struggle to think when I last listened to music radio. 

Tommy Vance was a fave. 
    Back in the 80s I also liked Mike Allen. Actually Tim Westwood was pretty good back then

• mar10mar10 Frets: 12
    edited March 2018
    Radio 1 tw@ts

Nick grimshaw... fuck off, bring back Scott mills lol

& that ginger tosser matt edmundson

omg, why? Go back to kids tv

(edit no offence to gingerz he’s just a bellend)
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1131
    When I was at college I used to enjoy listening to Toby Foster on BBC Sheffield in a morning during the drive to college.

These days it's Radio 6, Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra.

I've found that if I set my DAB radio to turn on an hour before I'm due to wake up, leave it at a lowish volume and tuned to Radio 4 Extra I get really trippy dreams!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25016
    Jalapeno said:
    ICBM said:
    Steve Wright.

This.   How he is still relevant these days is beyond me .... he was only ever Kenny Everitt Lite at best, and that was 20-30 years ago !
    I always thought Adrian Juste was Kenny Everettt Lite, but to be honest I can barely remember what he sounded like now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Philly_Q said:
    Jalapeno said:
    ICBM said:
    Steve Wright.

I always thought Adrian Juste was Kenny Everettt Lite, but to be honest I can barely remember what he sounded like now.
    Erm ... you may well be correct. Steve Wright is still a self-satisfied knobber though !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    Podcasts! I'm generally not a fan of the radio. Evans is occasionally tolerable, but he plays some shite music. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8475
    I only listen to Radio 2,4, and 6.  Mostly Radio 6. 

I’m a big fan of Mark Riley’s show of an evening.  I rarely miss it, more often than not, listen on catchup. Gideon Coe is also pretty good. And old mumbling Mark Radcliffe with Stuart Marconie is worth a listen too.

I’m not a violent man, but I would love to beat the daylights out of Steve Wright, and his whooping and hollering sycophants. The sound of his voice can drive me to instant furious rage. Utter hatred for that self serving gobshyte. 

I love a bit of Radio 4 comedy when I’m cooking.  

Mrs Marlin only likes Magic. The same saccarin sweet six songs all day, and what feels like a half hour of adverts every ten minutes. Drives me up the wall!

i believe I’m getting old!
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    Steve Wright is the worst, I dont know how he's been getting away with it for so long. Zero personality, no opinions on anything just ....shit. 

Same for Chris Evans and his endless chirpy optimism, nobody is that happy all the time, you big fuck off fake.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25016
    TheMarlin said:
    Mrs Marlin only likes Magic. The same saccarin sweet six songs all day, and what feels like a half hour of adverts every ten minutes. Drives me up the wall!

Have you ever listened to Heart?  They seem to play She's Like the Wind by Patrick Swayze about 20 times a day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5316
    Philly_Q said:
    TheMarlin said:

Have you ever listened to Heart?  They seem to play She's Like the Wind by Patrick Swayze about 20 times a day.
    That’s one of my guilty pleasures.... :)
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8475
    Philly_Q said:
    TheMarlin said:

If we can’t get Magic (DAB is patchy in our area), she listens to Heart.  Or as I call it, ‘Old Fart FM’. 

The rule is, whoever drives chooses the music.  So I drive everywhere.  Our tastes in music are vastly different. She has 20 CD’s, all pop pap..bit of ABBA and Buble, I’ve got thousands of CD’s, and LP’s, the cross over between out tastes is borderline insignificant.  So, we listen to a lot of Rat Pack stuff at home, as it’s somthjng we can both tolerate. I remember blasting ‘Bitter Tea’ by ‘Fire and Wine’ one day while ‘creating’ in the kitchen.  Wifey appeared to be physically distressed by that one, way too avant- garde for her parochial tastes. I put a bit of Melody Gardot on, and she calmed right down. Lovely woman, woeful taste in music 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25494
    I used to love Johnnie Walker's drivetime show.  I can't stand Steve Wright anymore though.  He was de rigeur in the 80's and genuinely funny.  However, the world has moved on and he hasn't.  I'm surprised he isn't still doing the phone-in characters like Gervais the hairdresser, Sid the manager and singing the "Gay Cavalieros" song.  What boils my piss most about him now is his insistence on sitting on the fence on every subject.  He could interview Dr Mengele and never ask him anything more challenging than what his favourite colour was.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    edited April 2018
    Dermot O'Dreary Steve Allen Dermot O'Dreary Steve Allen Dermot O'Dreary Steve Allen Dermot O'Dreary Steve Allen Dermot O'Dreary Steve Allen Dermot O'Dreary Steve Allen AND that bloke who does Hard Talk on World Service/telly
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Beacuse he.

Always.

Seems to talk.

Like this.

About everything.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16612
    57Deluxe said:
    Dermot O'Dreary Steve Allen Dermot O'Dreary Steve Allen Dermot O'Dreary Steve Allen Dermot O'Dreary Steve Allen Dermot O'Dreary Steve Allen Dermot O'Dreary Steve Allen AND that bloke who does Hard Talk on World Service/telly
    Must say I can't stand Dermot on the radio especially the saturday afternoon spot on Radio 2 .....he comes across very creepy
    .....everything he says is in a hushed whisper as if he's putting a 6 month old drowsy baby to bed.....all slow and hushed
    sounds like a perv
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12881
    FarleyUK said:
    Danny Bowes on Planet Rock.

Beacuse he.

Always.

Seems to talk.

Like this.

About everything.
    He does play some decent music though (although he seems to lob quite a bit of Thunder into the mix, wonder why?  =)  ) My wife made me listen to the horror that is Smooth the other day. Give me Danny Bowes any day.