HH Strat Players?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    edited March 2018
    If there isn't enough height to get the humbucker feet down far enough you may have to rout a couple of small cavities for them.

Check that the polepieces don't stick down that far as well...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    rossi said:
    thegummy said:
    Tonight I tried to install humbuckers on my Strat - it turns out that, due to the fairly shallow routing on the Strat, the lowest I can set the pickups would still set them millimeters from the strings.

What's the deal with this then, do Fender make specific humbuckers with legs a lot shorter than normal ones?

Do people who install non-Fender humbuckers in Strats chisel more out of the body to fit them in?

I didn't even think to measure this before doing it, I made an assumption it would fit based on it being relatively common to do this.
    Are you using a Squier Affinity body  or maybe a BBBBBBullet or a cheap import the body may well be thinner than a standard strat .I have fitted buckers to an SX body and a GFS body  with complete success .They were both full depth .
    No.

American Standard.
    ICBM said:
    If there isn't enough height to get the humbucker feet down far enough you may have to rout a couple of small cavities for them.

Check that the polepieces don't stick down that far as well...
    Seems this might be the only way.

I checked out a photo of the Fender humbuckers and they're much shorter than normal ones. I'd assumed people fairly often install normal hums in Strats, is that perhaps not so common? Or maybe they shim the neck and have the bridge as high as it goes?
    Ah, I've found the problem.

I felt sure I'd specced short-leg baseplate when I bought these, despite buying for a Gibson originally, but since I don't trust myself I measured and it turns out I have the longer 1/2" legs so that's the problem.

I hadn't even thought about the pole spacing - the bridge isn't "trembucker" spaced anyway so I'll need to find a different home than a Strat for these.

Appreciate the help as always.