SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Oil City Workshop clearout continued:

OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11877
edited June 2018 in Parts £ tFB Trader
Time to clear yet more dead wood from the workshop:

Set of Masterwound prototype high output Strat humbuckers ... these are around 16k and were fitted to our demo Strat. Neck is still very Stratty ... but of course silent, and the bridge and middle can do some very good Iron Maiden impressions. They are quite a tight fit in a Strat scratchplate as the coils are fully copper shielded for ultimate quietness. As you see em, unboxed and ex demo ... but still under guarantee from me.
£80.00 for all three ... delivered SOLD

Prototype set of Masterwound Veltone Pro humbucker sized single coils ... yes I know they look like PAFs but inside they are a single coil with a huge alnico 5 magnet mounted on an L bracket next to the coil. This replicates the old Valco lap steel pickups, but in a humbucker size. Hot and raunchy slide tones, or garage rock for the use of.
£80.00 the pair delivered Sold 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    I wish i could have them strat pick ups... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15225
    Masterwound prototype high output Strat humbuckers ... these are around 16k.
    Is that 16k for all three pickups or are the individual pickups calibrated to each position?

Prototype set of Masterwound Veltone Pro humbucker sized single coils ... This replicates the old Valco lap steel pickups but in a humbucker size. 
    Perfect for @thecolourbox :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11877
    tFB Trader
    Masterwound prototype high output Strat humbuckers ... these are around 16k.
    Is that 16k for all three pickups or are the individual pickups calibrated to each position?

Prototype set of Masterwound Veltone Pro humbucker sized single coils ... This replicates the old Valco lap steel pickups but in a humbucker size. 
    Perfect for @thecolourbox :)
    Calibrated across the set of course :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10363
    Oh my oh my, that's naughty tempting me like that. 
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    Is the prototype Strat set still available?
    They are quite a tight fit in a Strat scratchplate as the coils are fully copper shielded for ultimate quietness. 
    Sounds like they would fit comfortably in an Ibanez RS405. 
    tFB Trader
    Is the prototype Strat set still available?
    They are quite a tight fit in a Strat scratchplate as the coils are fully copper shielded for ultimate quietness. 
    Sounds like they would fit comfortably in an Ibanez RS405. 
    It is :-)

edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    Bump on the Strat set :-) Plus price reduced to £70 delivered

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 924
    I'll take the Strat set Ash. I've PM'd you about another item so let me know and I'll send a payment for both.
    @drwiddly How are you getting along with the Rail pickup prototypes? 

I have of late been trying an American brand "Rails" pickup in the above-mentioned Ibanez RS405. I suspect that I should have grabbed a set of three Rails pickups while I had the chance.

@TheGuitarWeasel Will the production versions of your Rails Stratocaster replacement pickup be of the same dimensions as the prototypes? Are they available in colours other than black?
    tFB Trader

I have of late been trying an American brand "Rails" pickup in the above-mentioned Ibanez RS405. I suspect that I should have grabbed a set of three Rails pickups while I had the chance.

@TheGuitarWeasel Will the production versions of your Rails Stratocaster replacement pickup be of the same dimensions as the prototypes? Are they available in colours other than black?
    To be honest there is no certainty I will be making full on production versions. Compared to full size humbuckers they are difficult, fiddly and time consuming to make, and the price one can ask for them in no way reflects the amount of work needed to make a good one.
    Of course I'm open to making one off custom sets, but with over 140 different pickups in my lineup they may have to wait till Oil City expands a bit and takes on more staff to be a worthwhile production item.
    Black or white are the options in bobbin colours at the moment ... but new stuff comes out all the time from my suppliers/

I'm really pleased with them, as I have been with all the other Oil City pickups I've had. They've been installed in a 1993 Patrick Eggle Los Angeles Plus. I bought the guitar about 10 years ago but was never happy with the original Kent Armstrong rails. I swapped those out for various combinations from Irongear, Axesrus, SD, etc. but none of them were quite what I wanted.

Last year I had Ash make me a Hot Rails bridge pickup for my G&L S500 - the stock MFD pickup just didn't have enough punch for my current bands. To say it transformed the guitar would be an understatement, it sounds amazing now. That was my reason for going with the calibrated set.

I've gigged the LA a couple of times and it sounds superb. It has the stock set up with a five way rotary selector, volume, tone and a blower switch that goes direct to the bridge pickup. The neck and middle pups have a split on the push/pull tone control.

Here it is getting some use (excuse guitar face :) )

https://imgur.com/gallery/nAOHyla
    drwiddly said:
    I'm really pleased with them ... Patrick Eggle Los Angeles Plus ... it sounds superb. It has the stock set up with a five way rotary selector, volume, tone and a blower switch that goes direct to the bridge pickup. The neck and middle pups have a split on the push/pull tone control.
    Thank you. You have confirmed my suspicions (apart from the rotary pickup selector).
    Yeah, not my favourite either but, with the blower switch, you can be on the bridge pickup, set up your next sound and just flick the switch up.