Application forms, equal opportunities, etc.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• I don't think a rock/pop tutor needs anything like a suit. new clean plain T shirt and new clean jeans will probably do, just leave the KISS outfit at home.
    This is for a part-time role as well apparently.
    Well if it's only part time it's not worth putting the KISS outfit on - would take you longer to robe and disrobe than the time spent on the job.
    Gotcha 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So, I've just got back from this little meeting with who seems like to be the founder of this Institute he's launching with some schools in the area.

On paper all my teaching credentials speak for itself, having run a private lesson business for a decade there's no question about my ability to plan and organise lessons. He was very impressed at how long I'd been going for and my attention to my detail, etc.

However, its the working with groups of children thing that they have raised questions about. Can I handle 8-10 rowdy disinterested children in 40 minute slots 3 times a day? Alot of private tutors have warned against working in these kinda roles too haha.

We agreed on leaving the ball in my court, if I chose I can have a couple of sessions in some of the schools to see how its done, if its all good I could be offered a permanent role for a term/academic year.

I'm comfortable teaching young 'un's privately however when its in a school and they're a bit more out of control its the handling of that I'm not so sure about.
  • I agree your concerns. tbh I've never liked group tuition even when they are all there by their own choice. Perhaps it depends on the sanctions you have available, maybe to exclude a troublemaker from the lessons. I did after-school classes for 8-11s and in one place there were 2 kids who were total troublemakers so I sent them out of the room and told them never to come back. The chap who ran the teaching organisation was not happy about losing 2 bums-on-seats but to his credit he backed me up when I said these kids were totally out of order and I refused to teach them.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He even asked me why I applied for the role if I have my own business. Truth is I need more daytime work, some of the schools if not most run 3:30-5pm so not a great deal of work can be done there for the time spent travelling. If I'm going to do this trial thing I'm supposed to go to a local school (about 25 minutes away) and do the lunchtime sessions, teaching rock/pop tunes to a group to play in a band I presume. I've had my fair share of gobby stroppy and unco-operative teenagers, so depending on the age group I might be alright. I mentioned about the safeguarding thing I originally posted this topic about and he was very impressed I looked into it with detail, thanks to you guys.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1163
    edited August 2018
    Have bagged another interview tomorrow for another job (only applied yesterday) and again its not at their offices, looks like a new music school is opening and they're looking for tutors for September. Think I'll do the same again in terms of attire.

The school looks like a classical approach though which I don't really teach so I'm hoping they won't ask me to be teaching kids the things they don't want to do!
  • Go to interview and its kinda what I expected, working hours 4-8 on weekdays and weekends, clashing with times I have private lessons and gigs. I told them I MIGHT be able to allocate 1-2 evenings but I think that's the best its going to get, don't think its worth it. The place is 8 miles away and shit for parking meaning I'll be spending most of my money on parking tickets/train fares.