WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• The moment that summed it up for me was when Maguire went down in the box only to quickly get up and signal “no penalty” to the ref. 
    Could you imagine a Colombian player doing the same? 
    Also, the pictures of Southgate consoling Uribe and Henderson doing the same to Rodriguez at the end showed true class imo. 
    I’m not getting carried away but all I want is for the team to do their best, show some passion. Regardless of how far they go, I hope they get a hero’s welcome when they return. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868

p90fool said:

Wondering why the Colombians protested so hard after the penalty was given? Have a look at what Kane did first to Sanchez. There were no replays or analysis of the event by the one eyed ITV  pundits. Kane first shoves Sanchez forwards then pulls or pushes him back. To say it was a definate penalty without analysing the replays; imagine the reaction if it was givenagaist England. Just saying (dives for cover)

The trouble is Sanchez starts with both hands around him and then mounts his back at the end.  Perhaps Kane has been clever with a pull of him, but when a defender starts trying to block your movement in any direction but backwards, then jumps on your back, it's a penalty.

Don't want to give away a penalty?  Don't start with your hands around the forward, don't jump on his back if he gets away from you.   Try to defend the ball.

Kane was definitely playing the game, drawing fouls throughout the game.  England have never been good at this side of the game, always honest compared to the experts of playing the advantage.  Colombia were so transparent in their game plan, they really can't complain when England do some of it back.  It's a pity Colombia didn't try to play football really, rather than setting out their stall early 'win at all costs'.

Did you never watch Alan Shearer? He was awesome at holding the ball with no support, getting a foul. It's an amazing skill, keeps the pressure on the opponent vs letting them launch a counter. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Nitefly said:
    Surprisingly (or not...) the South Americans are claiming "We wuz robbed!"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44716774

Love the sanitised report - not really what Maradona said though (he called England cheats) .. must have been high as a kite when he said it ... not sure he's the best guy to lecture anyone on fair play given his track record.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    edited July 2018
    Maradona has some cheek talking about "a monumental robbery on the pitch" the fat old spice head.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    I didn't even realise it WAS Maradona to start with during the first Argentina game, I spent the first half wondering why they kept cutting to Mrs Slocombe in the crowd. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    The moment that summed it up for me was when Maguire went down in the box only to quickly get up and signal “no penalty” to the ref. 
    Also, the pictures of Southgate consoling Uribe and Henderson doing the same to Rodriguez at the end showed true class imo. 
    I’m not getting carried away but all I want is for the team to do their best, show some passion. Regardless of how far they go, I hope they get a hero’s welcome when they return. 
    Sorry but the only reason he signaled anything is because he had realized it was a terrible dive and he was worried about getting booked for it. Notice the commentators glossed over it though. 

Tbf Southgate has shown a lot of class through the tournament, just wish Scotland could get such a manager. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    The moment that summed it up for me was when Maguire went down in the box only to quickly get up and signal “no penalty” to the ref. 
    Despite previously having arguably better talent in the team, this is the best England team, by some margin, since 1998 (when we really should have won the whole thing, given the starting XI we had)...Every team since has been a team of prima donnas or talented individuals that can't/don't want to play as a collective for their country with the passion that every other nation seemed to have. 

Although these players are still overpaid, they seem to have restored the pride and passion to want to represent England and what it means to wear the Three Lions. 

No matter what happens on Saturday, Gareth Southgate has proven himself as a worthy manager to take our team on for at least another cycle and I hope he can get the redemption he fully deserves after suffering for so many years after Euro 96. 

I don't really follow domestic football as much these days, due to other interests and lack of time, but I will 100% ball my eyes out if we manage to win the whole thing. This whole run has taken me back to '96 when I was 8 and we were playing glorious football at Euro '96. I still remember the elation of everything leading up to the semi-final and the deflation of the semi-final itself. 

I'm fully on-board and riding the It's Coming Home train, all the way to Moscow! 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716

Tbf Southgate has shown a lot of class through the tournament, just wish Scotland could get such a manager. 
    The ironic thing is that Southgate only got the job because of the timing of the whole Allardyce thing.  At any other time the FA would probably gone for a big name, but it was in the season and none of them were available.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Don’t forget that Maradona did score a wonderful goal, taking the ball by most of the England team in the process. I do understand the annoyance of the so called Hand of God goal. We in ROI suffered as a result of Henry’s hand in Paris. But it has to be said that Maradona was an exceptionally gifted footballer, a player who stood up and played well when it mattered. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    Rocker said:
    Don’t forget that Maradona did score a wonderful goal, taking the ball by most of the England team in the process. I do understand the annoyance of the so called Hand of God goal. We in ROI suffered as a result of Henry’s hand in Paris. But it has to be said that Maradona was an exceptionally gifted footballer, a player who stood up and played well when it mattered. 
    Great player.  Probably the best of my lifetime (I'm too young to remember Pele).  As a human being though....
  • The moment that summed it up for me was when Maguire went down in the box only to quickly get up and signal “no penalty” to the ref. 
    Sorry but the only reason he signaled anything is because he had realized it was a terrible dive and he was worried about getting booked for it. Notice the commentators glossed over it though. 

Possibly, unfortunately I don’t possess your psychic abilities so I’m gonna stick with my theory. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018
    @Longtallronnie ;;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C6LfC_HOJ4

its there for all to see, as blatant as any dive you will ever see.
  • I thought it looked like he was trying to move his foot out of the way of the challenge. Imo that’s more likely than trying to con a penalty then immediately admitting to diving. Pretty sure we’ve all seen worse attempts that haven’t led to the player trying to retract their actions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5902
    I thought it looked like he was trying to move his foot out of the way of the challenge. Imo that’s more likely than trying to con a penalty then immediately admitting to diving. Pretty sure we’ve all seen worse attempts that haven’t led to the player trying to retract their actions. 
    Yep @mikeyrob73 ; , that vid shows him avoiding injury and losing balance as a matter of cause. No idea why he thought he had to go to such lengths as it was hardly a dirty game.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    I’ve watched that quite a few times now - he should be getting stick for being shit at standing upright, not for diving. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Come on guys I realise your all engerlund supporters but it’s a dive, plain and simple 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Come on guys I realise your all engerlund supporters but it’s a dive, plain and simple 
    Tell you what, when the missus left the hoover out last week and I “found” it in the middle of the night, I should have been sent off and banned for two matches.
    If you went down without hitting the hoover then yup you do 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1532

English players = honest
    Colombian players = cheating ba*****s

The fact Maguire dived at all tells you enough. Also, a few English players were lucky not to see red, so don't be kidding yourselves...

I guess you just can't trust the Latin temperament eh.....
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Sweden are no pushovers. Strong and well organised like Iceland. They don't do much in the line of spectacular but what and how they do it is effective. The way they dealt with Switzerland for example. The Swiss were creative and dynamic but they got nowhere. Despite trying till the final whistle.

Likely to require a penalty shootout to decide winner. If England advance, they will be tired and feeling the effects of two long games in the WC Semi-final. And the squad players are below the standard of the first team. Another nervy evening awaits.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum