All 5 positions....

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• 2,nearly all the time,but I appear to be about the only one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4955
    edited June 2018
    I use them all. And because my 2010 USA standard has delta tone, I have a no load tone control on the bridge pup which is very useful. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8623
    As an aside I notice that a lot of people have their bridge pickup wired to the tone of either middle or neck. For years I’ve had bridge pickup wired to one tone and neck and middle to the other (that way can back off the bridge and leave neck and middle full up). 
    Thinking of trying Eric Johnson wiring next and having bridge to own tone, neck to own tone and middle wide open, thinking this may open up the inbetween sounds a bit as I find them unusable due to the treble roll off compared with individual pickups.

Any options or different wiring ideas?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    dindude said:
    As an aside I notice that a lot of people have their bridge pickup wired to the tone of either middle or neck. For years I’ve had bridge pickup wired to one tone and neck and middle to the other (that way can back off the bridge and leave neck and middle full up). 
    Thinking of trying Eric Johnson wiring next and having bridge to own tone, neck to own tone and middle wide open, thinking this may open up the inbetween sounds a bit as I find them unusable due to the treble roll off compared with individual pickups.

If you use a super switch you can get the same effect on the in between positions but still have a tone on the middle pickup
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    munckee said:

I love john frusciantes playing, I always thought he used neck and flipped to bridge for solos. 
    He does use both, but he uses the neck/middle a lot too - look at pics of him playing a Strat and you'll often see it.

https://www.groundguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2168532149_91dff16fe0_b.jpg

http://www.jftab.com/img/gear/guitar/frusciante-stratocaster-red-1962.jpg

https://allyoudeliver.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/johnfrusciante1.jpg

It's not easy to find one of him using either the bridge/middle or the middle alone, although he may do.
    How long did he hold that bend for, his hair grew 15"! Sorry I couldn't resist. Yeah I love the tone he gets, sounds fantastic.
  • I use all 5 I would say that on the SRV signature the bridge can sometimes make me pull a face like a bad actor drinking whiskey. To be fair, my playing probably makes others pull that face anyhow!  ;)

On the Partscaster I made with the Tonerider Surfari and SMO-FAT maple neck it's a lot more tuneful and less harsh- it still has unnerving effect of somehow pitch shifting so it sounds like I'm hitting all the wrong notes *clutching at straws face*
  • AxeWieldingBastardAxeWieldingBastard Frets: 157
    edited June 2018
    dindude said:

This is how mine is wired and i really like it. The middle pup gives a really full sound that i end up using a lot for rhythms. The bridge pup tone control lives at about 7, which really rounds it out nicely (probably my favourite posish). Also, i really like the inbetween positions when wired this way. Im writing a piece at the moment that's got a lot of staccato, palm muted, single string picking and i just cant the tone right for it unless in position 2. Definately worth trying.

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2525
    Bridge with a bit of the neck blended in and a smidge of tone rolled back for me....helps avoid that cliche Strat tone.