The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    Picked up a stage about 3 months ago as felt I needed to try one after previously having Fractal and at the time using Helix. Absolutely blew my mind and love it to bits.

It's not that the sounds are *better* than the Fractal... just that they're instantly there. I love my little HX Stomp as well but it's always a battle to get tones I'm happy with and still think some of the amps just sound pants. Yes, probably user error, but even using patches or guides by the usual YouTube names it never quite gets there for me.

Most of the amps on the Kemper are captured where you'd expect them to be and likely want to use them so you just load up the amp you want and the tone is usually 90% there already. Also, having obviously never actually played most of the amps available in real life, I had no idea when loading up an amp where to set things to get the best out of them without just fiddling etc. With the Kemper, just load up some random cool sounding boutique thing and it's like 'oh cool, that's what one of these sounds like'. So quick and so much fun.

Hooked up to a computer at home and there's knocking on 20k profiles in the rig exchange as well as so much great free stuff bundled it's amazing. No need to download, upload etc to audition as it's just a double click and away you go. With the stage format can use the footswitches for pedals etc and it's just brilliant.

Also worth mentioning, the reverbs and delays available are simply stunning and almost worth the price of admission.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    Had mine since 2013 (unpowered rack) and, despite owning Axe 2, Axe Ultra. Helix, etc, it's still my main gigging rig. I use mine in a 4u rack with  a Digitech GSP1101 (for back up and some additional fx) with two Redsound cabs and it does everything I need and more.

I've not tried an Axe 3 or FM3 but the Kemper sounds more natural than any other processor I've tried.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 979
    Although I’ve never played a Kemper I’ve been impressed with the videos I’ve seen with it featured online.

What is the next step from Kemper for the future? Will there be a newer edition toaster somewhere down the line?
  • duotone said:
    Although I’ve never played a Kemper I’ve been impressed with the videos I’ve seen with it featured online.

What is the next step from Kemper for the future? Will there be a newer edition toaster somewhere down the line?

I can't see it anytime soon, but never say never. The Stage is 2 years old, maybe? People would be pretty pissed off it it was obsolete or superseded after such a short amount of time.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10170
    duotone said:

I can't see it anytime soon, but never say never. The Stage is 2 years old, maybe? People would be pretty pissed off it it was obsolete or superseded after such a short amount of time.
    Never stopped Fractal :lol: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1807
    Just bought myself a Stage (yesterday) and after two quick sessions I have soo bonded with it. I actually had to force myself to come out for a beer. Unheard of.
  • Congrats, @Brio, what profiles are you enjoying?

I feel like I'm using mine properly this time. As in making full use of presets and performances and stringing together sounds that are coherent and not jarring when used together. All basic Kemper stuff but stuff I didn't do last time around.

Stock with the Stage but I've bought some Michael Britt packs. Working on  covid unit has limited my time to play. But I'm off today and just about to get breakfast before another session.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    @brio it's worth getting the free Morgan AC20 (by rmpacheco) from the rig exchange.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks. I’m sure I’ll be back for advice.
  • crunchman said:
    @brio it's worth getting the free Morgan AC20 (by rmpacheco) from the rig exchange.

Just revisting this on your reminder...sounds great. It's got some mythical status amongst the community, but in truth it's no better than some nice profiles I've tried. But there's something about it that just sounds nice and warm...and it's probably renowned because it was done by some random guy very early on in the life of Kemper, who managed to strike gold with his signal chain at the time of profiling. It's an old profile by today's modern techniques, I'd imagine.

I'm really enjoying it so thanks for reminding me about it!

• I've also purchased a stage recently. I'm not sure if I'm just still in the honeymoon period, but I think it's great and wish I got one sooner. It sounds great, I'm really enjoying using and it and I've been playing guitar a lot more since I've had it.  

I just need to learn how to use it properly now!
  • I know it's going to start grating on people but I'm like 3 weeks in now and genuinely every time I stumble across a great profile that suits my purposes, it blows me away. I'm so impressed by how good the Kemper feels. It's sounds great too. It's got all the nuances I remember and liked about my old amps. I'm sure people will prefer amps, but I don't have any here right now, so I can't compare, but right now, I'm finding it hard to justify buying the amps I planned to get when I'm able to save up the cash. Perhaps I should build a nice collection of guitars instead, because the Kemper is ticking all the boxes at the moment.

Can see myself looking back at this post in a few years and saying "yeah right!", So let's see!

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2371
    Still got my Kemper, although I swapped from the toaster (got that in 2013) to a Stage in 2020. Also have the powered Kabinet. Sounds as incredible as when I first got one. 

Sadly with lockdowns and the band I was in all moving away (they were all military guys) the Kabinet hasn't had a proper tryout. 
  • @PVO_Dave ;

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the powered Kabinet as I'm interested in having a play with one of these..  did you get it in the UK? I can't seem to find anyone stocking them at the mo..

Si
    @PVO_Dave ;

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the powered Kabinet as I'm interested in having a play with one of these..  did you get it in the UK? I can't seem to find anyone stocking them at the mo..

Si
    Hi Si / @grappagreen ;

Ordered direct from Kemper when they announced it, it sounds and feels great at home (when I get a chance to actually plug it in) but not had the pleasure of trying it in a live / band practice situation. 

It's very well constructed, nice cover included with it, the little legs to make it angled like a monitor are a nice touch too. 

If things weren't like they were (and we wen't about to inject chaos into the house with two kittens - seemed like a good idea at the time!) I'd have invited you round as I'm only in mid-Beds.

Looks like it's still in stock direct with Kemper: https://shop.kempermusic.com/gb/kemper/profiler/80/kemper-power-kabinet - all VAT is paid for, so no Brexit tax on import etc.. was quick delivery for me.

Dave.
    Deffo on my shopping list for next month. How loud are they? 200W with a 1x12 isn't enough of a description really. AC30 loud or more...
    I do like yhe form factor. 
    Not been able to crank it sadly @Brio - Maybe I'll try when my wife does the school run tomorrow afternoon :D 
     :) 
  • PVO_Dave said:
    @PVO_Dave ;

Si
    Hi Si / @grappagreen ;

Ordered direct from Kemper when they announced it, it sounds and feels great at home (when I get a chance to actually plug it in) but not had the pleasure of trying it in a live / band practice situation. 

It's very well constructed, nice cover included with it, the little legs to make it angled like a monitor are a nice touch too. 

If things weren't like they were (and we wen't about to inject chaos into the house with two kittens - seemed like a good idea at the time!) I'd have invited you round as I'm only in mid-Beds.

Looks like it's still in stock direct with Kemper: https://shop.kempermusic.com/gb/kemper/profiler/80/kemper-power-kabinet - all VAT is paid for, so no Brexit tax on import etc.. was quick delivery for me.

Dave.
    Thanks Dave.

I'll get one on order. Good luck with the puddy tats.. :)

Si