The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Does anyone have any Choptones mesa or marshall packs? If so, please DM me so we can be of mutual aid to each other! Muchness thanks!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone tried any of Rhet Shull's profiles? Any good? They're expensive. Specifically wondering about his Divided by 13 amp.

• BrioBrio Frets: 1814
    Finally got round to downloading that Morgan AC20 rig. 
    Thoroughly excellent. Thanks for the heads up.
    Does anyone have any Choptones mesa or marshall packs? If so, please DM me so we can be of mutual aid to each other! Muchness thanks!

Well that's a bit funking tacky. People try to earn money making profiles. 

It's not like they are mega expensive.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Brio said:
    Does anyone have any Choptones mesa or marshall packs? If so, please DM me so we can be of mutual aid to each other! Muchness thanks!

Well that's a bit funking tacky. People try to earn money making profiles. 

It's not like they are mega expensive.

I'm looking for the settings PDF's pal, so wind it in.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry, just checking.  <3
  • Brio said:
    Sorry, just checking.  <3
    No worries. Like you and many others on here, I've spent a small fortune on profiles over the years. No doubt @equalsql has too.

Don't know about a fortune for me, just a Michael Brit pack and the Tone Junkies Everything Pack on their Christmas sale.
  • Brio said:
    Don't know about a fortune for me, just a Michael Brit pack and the Tone Junkies Everything Pack on their Christmas sale.

I love that Tone Junkie pack, really all you need from low to mid gain. I spent a lot looking for very specific things, which I don't think I'll get without buying certain amps and pedals. Still, the Kemper is still top notch, regardless.

edited January 2022
    I spend so much time on the Kemper at the moment. It's an addiction. I should be selling all my pedals and boards...
  • Kemper still the best on the market  in my opinion. All the fuss made about Helix, I’ve had two and couldn’t get what I wanted out of it. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Kemper still the best on the market  in my opinion. All the fuss made about Helix, I’ve had two and couldn’t get what I wanted out of it. 

I think I said this above, but I want to try out the Quad Cortex.  I was planning on getting a Kemper Stage for playing out so I don't have to unplug my toaster from my audio interface and computer.  (I have a Princeton Reverb and Strymon Iridium which should fund most of it).  I do like the look of the Quad Cortex though.

At this moment in time, the Kemper is probably slightly better, but we have had 10 years of updates for the Kemper.  Thinking about where the Quad Cortex will be in 3 or 4 years times does make that a serious option.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    I accidentally bought a Kemper Stage that arrived today. I had a toaster quite a few years ago and I loved it but had to sell at the time. I love the form factor and layout out of the Stage, and I'm looking forward to trying it in the band (the other guitarist uses a Helix, so that will be interesting), but I forgot just how overwhelming it can be to start at the beginning and choose sounds etc. I'll get there, but my god it can be a long process.

Also, I have decided that I don't like the monitors - I remember the Kemper being a bit more "zingy" on the ones I used to have, so will look to maybe change them, or get a Kabinet.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • PC_Dave said:
    I accidentally bought a Kemper Stage that arrived today. I had a toaster quite a few years ago and I loved it but had to sell at the time. I love the form factor and layout out of the Stage, and I'm looking forward to trying it in the band (the other guitarist uses a Helix, so that will be interesting), but I forgot just how overwhelming it can be to start at the beginning and choose sounds etc. I'll get there, but my god it can be a long process.

Also, I have decided that I don't like the monitors - I remember the Kemper being a bit more "zingy" on the ones I used to have, so will look to maybe change them, or get a Kabinet.

The profile search is hard going, I agree! I guess it was intended to mainly be tool you profile your own gear with, but for those of us without that luxury, it's a ball ache finding profiles that match the tones in our head.

Congrats though and I look forward to hearing your thoughts! ...and what route you go with monitoring.

PC_Dave said:

The profile search is hard going, I agree! I guess it was intended to mainly be tool you profile your own gear with, but for those of us without that luxury, it's a ball ache finding profiles that match the tones in our head.

Congrats though and I look forward to hearing your thoughts! ...and what route you go with monitoring.
    Thanks - I should have said my "studio" monitors.

Live i'm not sure what i'll be doing just yet. For the next rehearsal i'll just go direct and use my in-ears, but I think a Kabinet would be good in future.
  • Kemper is still by far the best bit of kit I have owned (and I have been through a lot). Had it since 2016 and I can't see myself ever getting rid of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1342
    edited January 2022
    This may be a little controversial but for this struggling to wade through profiles let me make a suggestion (don't shoot me!).

The 'problem' with the Kemper is the fact that folks consider it a profiler and not a digital sound processor. Hear me out..  

I eventually moved on my KPA Toaster as I was loosing my life to 'profile hunting'. The problem was I was reticent to play with gain, amp EQ etc. as I didn't want to 'ruin' the profile. But that meant me wading endlessly looking for 'the' profile(s).

When I got my stage I took a different approach and am happy.

I implore you all to try something. Grab the infamous Morgan AC20 profile from Rig Exchange and set all of the volumes to 0db (it's not and that's one of the reasons it stands out!). Now take the gain and amp EQ knobs and tweak to get a clean, breakup, crunch, heavy and lead tones. They are all in there and can sound fab just out of one profile.

I have played a whole covers set just using these..

I think it helps break out of the 'if the profile isn't perfect it's not for me syndrome' which I found a nightmare.

You may disagree of course!

Si
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    I'm not gigging my Kemper at present as my Helix gives me a few more routing / MIDI options but my approach with both has been similar.  There may be a hundreds of amp models (thousands of Kemper profiles) but I'm using 2 or 3 of them 90% of the time.  I use a patch per song (so that I can easily rearrange setlists) but a lot of the patches are copies of one another (or at least start out that way).  Sometimes the only difference between two patches is the title and the MIDI PC number (which is required for other duties).

After all - I only have one solo in my repertoir which I use on everything, why do I need more than one sound?

• allenallen Frets: 707
    This may be a little controversial but for this struggling to wade through profiles let me make a suggestion (don't shoot me!).

The 'problem' with the Kemper is the fact that folks consider it a profiler and not a digital sound processor. Hear me out..  

I eventually moved on my KPA Toaster as I was loosing my life to 'profile hunting'. The problem was I was reticent to play with gain, amp EQ etc. as I didn't want to 'ruin' the profile. But that meant me wading endlessly looking for 'the' profile(s).

I implore you all to try something. Grab the infamous Morgan AC20 profile from Rig Exchange and set all of the volumes to 0db (it's not and that's one of the reasons it stands out!). Now take the gain and amp EQ knobs and tweak to get a clean, breakup, crunch, heavy and lead tones. They are all in there and can sound fab just out of one profile.

I think it helps break out of the 'if the profile isn't perfect it's not for me syndrome' which I found a nightmare.

Si
    This. The Morgan AC20 is incredible. It will do everything if you tweak it.

Si
    Thanks Si, i'll check it out. I think just having a starting point is helpful! I was playing around with an MB /13 profile yesterday which very much floated my boat.