The wide neck guitar criminal!

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonic said:
    You lump 'luthiers' together....Some are mavericks.

So true.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/imadray/luther-s3_zps3ba149b3.jpg

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    LOL.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10010
    Oh, this gives me an idea...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    A video..???
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1542
    octatonic said:
    After a while on these sites I think people become conditioned to being in an adversarial bear-pit environment; but it's a bit love me love my dog too, in as much as we can agree to agree with each other and then you are accepted in the clan; but if you want to disobey the clan we'll set the dogs on you and send you somewhere else.

You've been here for 5 mins and don't understand the culture at all.
    Drew disagrees with people here all the time.
    So does Frankus.
    So do I and a lot of other people.
    We do respect one another, because for the most part we're sane and reasonable people who appreciate difference in others.
    That doesn't mean we're all prepared to accept bullshit.

OH NO! I am starting to sound like a proper grown up luthier!

Again we come back to your overwhelming ignorance of the craft and art that you profess to have an interest in.
    You can come in here and shoot your mouth off all you like- you can denigrate the craft and art of guitar building too.
    And you try and belittle those who dedicate their lives to furthering this craft and art.
    It means absolutely nothing- because you don't know anything and you can't do anything.
    Essentially you have zero credibility.

octatonic said:

Again we come back to your overwhelming ignorance of the craft and art that you profess to have an interest in.
    You can come in here and shoot your mouth off all you like- you can denigrate the craft and art of guitar building too.
    And you try and belittle those who dedicate their lives to furthering this craft and art.
    It means absolutely nothing- because you don't know anything and you can't do anything.
    Essentially you have zero credibility and Youll Never Take our FREEEEEEDORRRRRM!!!

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    octatonic said:
    Drew disagrees with people here all the time.
    So does Frankus.

No I don't!
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I can't help but think the nuts in question resemble the profile of Floyd Locking nuts -- we gave Keith Floyd such a fucking roasting about those locking nuts, and rightly so, sure he died shortly after (and it might have been forum induced apoplexy) but frankly I think that's the least he could do given what he was doing for the credibility of luthiers all over the world.

Then there's Leo Fender, that fuck hadn't even studied the ancient art of luthiery and started making them as if he'd earned the right to strap 6 strings to a piece of wood and see what people make of it. Look how much better Fender got when he was bought out by the pros.

This place sorely needs less cult of personality, fight fair rules, and respect by default - a lot of people here have earned the levity with which I treat them many many many times over - levity mind, not disrespect.

As a rule I prefer to have better ideas than other people, rather than disagree with them, where I draw the line is in treatment of other human beings... there I can't help but express disbelief from time to time.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • funstuiefunstuie Frets: 77
    Do you get nosebleeds being up so high on that soapbox? 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • This thread is like Mike Myers (The Halloween one, not the Austin Powers one). It won't die.

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    frankus said:
    we gave Keith Floyd such a fucking roasting about those locking nuts, 

To be fair, he was pissed half the time

shh... their vision is based on movement ;0)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
     and a Don Lace telecaster at the neck....

@mdphillips1956

Please for my curiosity can you tell me why you swap out neck buckers for telecaster bridge pickups?

Its one of those questions I have to have an answer to, like how did they build stonehenge?

Thanks
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • frankus said:
    we gave Keith Floyd such a fucking roasting about those locking nuts, 

To be fair, he was pissed half the time

Only half the time?  What were you, his publicist?  :D
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11859
    tFB Trader

frankus said:
    I can't help but think the nuts in question resemble the profile of Floyd Locking nuts -- we gave Keith Floyd such a fucking roasting about those locking nuts, and rightly so, sure he died shortly after (and it might have been forum induced apoplexy) but frankly I think that's the least he could do given what he was doing for the credibility of luthiers all over the world.

Then there's Leo Fender, that fuck hadn't even studied the ancient art of luthiery and started making them as if he'd earned the right to strap 6 strings to a piece of wood and see what people make of it. Look how much better Fender got when he was bought out by the pros.

This place sorely needs less cult of personality, fight fair rules, and respect by default - a lot of people here have earned the levity with which I treat them many many many times over - levity mind, not disrespect.

As a rule I prefer to have better ideas than other people, rather than disagree with them, where I draw the line is in treatment of other human beings... there I can't help but express disbelief from time to time.

In deference to Leo Fender, he was no luthier or guitarist - though he played the cornet and trumpet I believe - but he was a fine engineer. Also he wasn't a lone genius  existing in a bubble, he took advise from people like George Fullerton, Freddie Tavares and a small stable of local guitarists with whom and for whom he developed his early products. He also copied many techniques from contempories like Paul Bigsby ...
    Strange how Fender get all prissy about that headstock shape when they nicked it themselves mind :-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was not intending to pour either scorn or cold water on luthiers who devote their lives to perfecting the structures of lutes and mandolins... long may they prosper.
    I confess to being a bit guitar obsessed and was only thinking of electric guitar luthiers at the time.
    I am no luthier.
    I am very happy for them to exist.
    But the guitars they build are so far removed from anything I am involved with.
    I am a master bodger and even that seems to require enough skill to my mind... as Leo Fender proved: a guitar is just a plank of wood with strings along the front, then all you need is someone like Jimi Hendrix to come along and bring it to life!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4155
    Yes a Fender design is pretty simple, especially a Tele, but it has to be set up well and have a properly cut nut etc.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    edited April 2014
    From my own personal assessment of the situation I'd say that the way you word your listings is probably central to the reason why there's such a flare-up around the Internet regarding the guitars you're selling, @mdphillips1956 ;

No disrespect to you. I wouldn't buy one of your guitars personally because, firstly, I don't have abnormally large hands, and secondly I don't want a Tele pickup in the neck position of a Les Paul (or in any position of any guitar where a Tele bridge pickup isn't originally/was never intended to be). 

If it sells, it sells. I'm happy for whoever buys it if they enjoy it. Whatever. One man's trash is another man's treasure as they say.

Back to my original point! The way you word your listings. See, here, you've just said you are "a master bodger" but sometimes you say you "build guitars" for people with big hands. There's a major difference between saying you build guitars for people with big hands and saying that you bodge them.

Now while it wouldn't be a wholly professional image to state publicly that you bodge guitars in your eBay listings, if you say that, isn't it much closer to reality?

What are people buying? Are they buying a guitar that you crafted from scratch with your own bare hands (or at a minimum, built from a kit that you purchased and then built as a 'partsa-caster' or similar)? OR, are they buying a cheap guitar that you've then "bodged" as you say? 

You quote Leo Fender - yes, very famous quote. The problem with quoting this, is that Leo Fender made a damn fine guitar and Hendrix was a damn fine master of his art. You can be a great guitarist but I promise you, that if you have a guitar that doesn't hold and stay in tune... what hope is there? Unless "a great guitarist would know how to bend the strings the whole time so they were playing in tune" ...it's doable. But it's not practical. And it would be a test of skill for 99% of "great" guitar players still to play and play well still with a piece of shit guitar that won't stay in tune.

That's not me calling out your guitars that you sell specifically Mark, but, it is me saying that that quote was meant only to praise the genius and ingenuity of Hendrix's playing - not as a blanket comment to state that a guitar is only as good as its player. It really isn't the case at all. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I am a master bodger
    Are you sure about that?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    I am a monster badger.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    edited April 2014
    I am a monster badger.
    Was it you rummaging in my garden last night?

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom