Sounds Guide to the Electric Guitar ( Or something like that ) circa 1982ish?

What's Hot
Hi All, 
Being of a nostalgic mien, I have been trying to fond an old mag that I had in the early eighties - it was published by Sounds ( My favourite music Inky along with MM back then, never was an NME person) and was entitled something along the lines of "The Sounds Guide to the Electric Guitar and was basically an intro and a load of reprints of guitar reviews. The instruments reviewed were things like Aria Pro 11s, Westones, Washbur A10 and The Paul amongst others. Can anyone point me in the direction of a copy of this thing? Or even remember it and exactly what it was called? 

Cheers folks. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11423
    The Sounds Book Of The Electric Guitar, compiled by Tony Mitchell.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have the magazine - I came across it when packing for a house move earlier this year. You remember the details well - it is titled "The Sounds Book of the Electric Guitar". It was published in 1980, compiled by Tony Mitchell, with a forward by Bill Nelson and all for the princely sum of £1.50. 

It covers the basics of electric guitar buying, amps & accessories plus a review section with the likes of Aria, Gibson, Hofner, Kay, Shergold & Yamaha etc. An interesting feature is an interview with Sid Bishop, then of Boogie Music in London's  West End. He is pictured in front of a shop wall of guitars - a 1957 Les Paul Junior for £450, 1967 Firebird non-reverse at £450 and a new LP Standard for £395. 

I don't plan to sell my copy, but good luck if you're on the look out for one.    
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you folks. Now I know what I am looking for :-) 

• I'm just looking at one, in very good nick. Amazed I could lay hands on it. It had a review of the Epiphone Genesis which I remember trying for months to find & try in a shop- I think at least one other person here had the same experience, in retrospect I think I'm glad I never found one. Thing I now like best in it is probably an Aria Les Paul copy, I imagine they were stunning. I also enjoyed the picture of the guitars on the wall behind Sid Bishop.

Anyway, If you would like it, PM your address & it's yours for postage & I can suggest somewhere you can send a small donation.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh my word thank you That's really kind of you - I'd be happy to do a donation and post,  PM on way in a mo :-) 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I think I had that one. There was a Yamaha advert with John McGeoch on the rear cover?
  • The edition I have has an advert for Washburn Hawk on the back. Inside front cover has a Yamaha ad, but no endorsement. It does show a BB1200 through neck bass though, which is pretty nice, especially if you're Peter Hook. Front cover is a BC Rich mockingbird (I think) it has at least 6 too many controls & 4 too many tuning pegs, for me at least.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    Bit late to the party, but yes, I remember it well.

My copy got lost somewhere along the way, so I’ve been looking for one too.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7351
    we should start a lending library -  a bit like when we had the lucky dip thing...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I'm pretty sure I can remember the particular home move where most of my guitar-related catalogues and such got dumped. :(
  • Massive thanks to History for sending me his copy, I am really looking forward to seeing it again :-) 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    Bigsby said:

I'm pretty sure I can remember the particular home move where most of my guitar-related catalogues and such got dumped. :(

Yup, moi assui...August 1992. :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2969
    Bigsby said:

Yup, moi assui...August 1992. :(
    Vraiment? It was a move to Paris that got me, a decade later in December 2002.