Bruce Kulick or Neal Schon?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5833

Ok, I know Michael Bolton had a much ridiculed hairstyle, but he was still a great artist and the question is:

Who Played the awesome solo on "Gina"?

The Album credits 6 guitarists(see wiki link), but I'm guessing it was either Neal or Bruce who played on this.

Can't find much with a quick google search either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_(Michael_Bolton_album)

Solo is at 2:20

Trying to compare styles, I would have said it was Bruce. Whoever it was, it's a beauty.

Your opinions?

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I could easily be wrong but it sounds a lot more Kulick than Schon to me.

Of course as it's a session, he could be playing with a slightly different style/tone to usual.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Sounded quite Schon-y to me in places... although there wasn't very much incongruous fast wanking there (which Schon does a lot of, check out the solo in "Faithfully" by Journey), so it may have been someone different.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5833
    Bucket said:
    Sounded quite Schon-y to me in places... although there wasn't very much incongruous fast wanking there (which Schon does a lot of, check out the solo in "Faithfully" by Journey), so it may have been someone different.

Hi @Bucket

It's a tough one to decide. I absolutely love Journey and Neal's playing can be either very melodic and soulful or quite ripping, but I would never say he is out and out "Shred Monster" although he's no slouch.

The only Kulick stuff I've heard is Kiss 1987 album "Crazy Nights", he seems to be the more Shred-prone or widdly Guitarist.

They are both great players though.

:)
    edited August 2013

Hi @Bucket

It's a tough one to decide. I absolutely love Journey and Neal's playing can be either very melodic and soulful or quite ripping, but I would never say he is out and out "Shred Monster" although he's no slouch.

I know - my problem with him tends to be that he'll be in the middle of an amazing soulful melody before going into a massive pentatonic wank lick - he does that rather too much for my liking. If he'd follow through with the melody instead of ruining it by following it up with a totally anticlimactic scale-burning session, his solos would be so much more enjoyable IMO. That's why "Don't Stop Believing" is such a good solo - he plays a melody instead of starting a melody and going into a stupid wank run.

Sorry, but surely there are numerous better ways of ending that phrase? It just doesn't fit, more to the point... I bet you Petrucci wouldn't have played it like that :D Amazing tone and feel though, when he's not blazing.

@Bucket

Yep, that tends to be like a habit with Neal, it's one of his trademarks, but isn't really necessary to enhance his playing.

It's like he's thinking "I must put some fast run in there, it's too slow"

A good example him sticking to the melody is "Who's Crying Now" solo at the end, it's perfect.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I'd say that's almost certainly Bruce Kulick. 

The fast run at the end of the solo is almost the same as the one in Crazy Nights. 
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    I'd say Bruce Kulick too. :)
    It also sounds like some guitar parts were recording using a Rockman. :D
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    That might be why his tone sounds a bit different than usual. 
    Kiss had a no Rockman policy in the studio.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Maybe not Bruce. I just looked up on the Kiss FAQ discography, and on that album it says that Bruce played guitar on the 1st and 8th tracks only, which would be Hot Love and Take a Look at my Face.

@axisus

Nice find. That's made me more curious now. Out of those 2, I would have gone for Bruce anyday. I don't know much about the other 4 guitarists on the album, I suppose it could have been one of those.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited August 2013
    It's Bruce Kulick and it does sound like a Rockman or GK 250ML. I can't remember if it's the same album but
    Neal Schon played a great, Stratty, melodic blues solo on Bolton's version of 'Sitting on the dock of the bay''.

Re:Schon's ability to 'go off on one' during a nice melodic solo - this seems to have continued and I'm not as much of a fan of his any more. Same with Lukather. Although these days he's to be found more behind the mixing desk or playing the odd country session, IMHO, Dann Huff was the one who managed to get the right mix of melody and flash in AOR solos. Oh, and Tim Pierce too from Rick Springfield's band who plays perfect, short snappy solos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Kirk Hammett

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

@Kebabkid

That's another player I will have to check out (Tim Pierce) although I think I only know 2 Rick Springfield tracks and I bet you know what they are?

Nice one on the answer too to the question. Is it inside information from the Music Biz ;)

@ddlooping

Don't be shy, out with it, man!

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I was trying to get rid of a pesky draft and ended up with a repost. :D
    ddlooping said:
    I was trying to get rid of a pesky draft and ended up with a repost. :D

Ah, that old Chesnut.

:)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited August 2013
    Actually @Bellycaster, I stand corrected. I just found this and whilst I thought BK played on "Hot Love" & "Gina" as they had similar sound and style, it WASN'T him but a Bob Halligan!
    http://www.kiss-related-recordings.nl/michaelbolton_hunger.html

Interestingly enough, there are some heavy weight singers on backing vocals.

@Kebabkid

Mystery solved :-)

I've not heard of Bob Haligan before, he is credited on the wiki page though. The other 3 seem to be missing though from the Wiki page: Danny Merlin, Paul Pesco and Ira Siegel. Although it does say selective list on the web page.

He can certainly play well anyway.

@Kebabkid - wholeheartedly agreed on Dann Huff. He is incredible.