IP Camera security (dummies guide)

Can anyone tell me the basics of IP camera security ?

I need to leave an IP camera connected to the router for a few days. No computers or anything else will be on the network, just the camera for remote viewing

I'm concerned the router could be accessed for email spamming, something Sky tend to restrict your net access for !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Isn't email spamming normally done from hijacked machines - not physically held at gunpoint but malwared up the wazzoo, or from email accounts that have been hacked. 

Seems unlikely that someone is going to break in to use your router to spam folks... 

Unless you live in a very strange area
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1206
    I've looked at this recently and similar router fiddling. I've found that my ISP (Sky) refresh my IP address frequently so I'm not sure how I can reliably access the camera remotely. Unless the camera is able to email the IP address to me every time it changes.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I've looked at this recently and similar router fiddling. I've found that my ISP (Sky) refresh my IP address frequently so I'm not sure how I can reliably access the camera remotely. Unless the camera is able to email the IP address to me every time it changes.
    Usually ISPs will provide a static IP address on request.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Myranda said:
    Usually ISPs will provide a static IP address on request.
    Or use a dynamic dns service, though you need something on your home network that is able to update it. Haven't set up an IP camera before, it might be something some of them support, otherwise a computer that's on most of the time. Usually IP can only change when the router has to reconnect. (Though sky seem to have reset mine last night. Well, I hope it was sky, been meaning to check that with them...)
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1141
    Most IP cameras I've seen have dynamic dns support, or make sure your router has support for it (and port forwarding of course).

Alternatively, if you have a NAS like a Synology, this can do the dynamic dns as well as offer support of IP cameras and has quite a sophisticated surveillance app (supports 1 camera for free, a licence is required for more than 1)

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Ok, all a bit over my head.

I can access the camera fine from the android and iphone apps. I have no port forwarding set up, or al least I have not touched or asked to make any changes in the router. So far its been plug and play.  I managed to get a password set up, but apart from that, I'm in the dark.

My router is the standard sky sagem f@st 2504.

Are you accessing the camera when you're at home? If that's the case, it could be that your only doing so through your home network (LAN?). What you really need is to test access from outside of your home network? You could switch off your phone/tablet WiFi and just use the Mobile Data option to test this?
    BTW, which IP camera did you go for @Bogwhoppit?
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited April 2014

I can access the camera from 3g over my phone or via my ipad linked to another wifi connection. I think the camera itself does all the 'magic' allowing me to use Sky's dynamic IP and to stay out of the router settings. ( Manufacturers provide free DDNS, and has been written into equipment )

I paid £30 for mine from Amazon :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00432J56G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1