Victory V40 Deluxe - Thoughts esp with Helix ?

What's Hot
jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 248
I have recently acquired a 65 Princeton which I love and use with a Helix providing the effects obviously through the front.

I am wondering/GASsing if there is any big advantage in an effects loop & have been impressed with demos of Victory V40 deluxe.

Anyone got any thoughts/advice on how the Victory behaves particularly at home volume ?

And also any thoughts/advice/advantages of using a Helix with an amp that has an effects loop v one that doesn't?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    Does the Victory have 2 channels (or more)?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1414
    jimkehoe said:
    Anyone got any thoughts/advice on how the Victory behaves particularly at home volume?
    No experience of the deluxe but that old lunchbox head was shite at home volumes. 

Its an amp that is made to be cranked. Incidentally I didn’t like it at cranked volumes either. These really seem to divide opinion 
    How very rock and roll
  • jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 248
    jimkehoe said:
    Anyone got any thoughts/advice on how the Victory behaves particularly at home volume?
    No experience of the deluxe but that old lunchbox head was shite at home volumes. 

Its an amp that is made to be cranked. Incidentally I didn’t like it at cranked volumes either. These really seem to divide opinion 

Does the Victory have 2 channels (or more)?
    No - Single channel with an effects loop.

Thanks Ben. Good to know.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4233
    I have the Victory V40. Been using it at home for over a year now on the 0.5 watt setting and it sounds excellent at low volume as a pedal platform. No need to crank it.
  • Ditto ^^ The Victory amps all work incredibly well at low volume, awesome amps.
    Mattie, 21 year old guitarist and teacher at https://mgrmusic.com/guitar-lessons/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fight ! 
    2-1 at the moment.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1414
    Hahaha
    How very rock and roll
    Split into two separate threads.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    gringopig said:
    I have the Victory V40 Deluxe and use it at home on the 7W setting.

It sounds great at home volume. The pre-amp breaks up really nicely and is very sensitive to the pickup going in to it, so high output pickups can really sound quite overdriven. To be honest, in order to get the power valves distorting in any amp over <1 Watt, it's going to be too loud for home use so the V40 Deluxe does a great job on the pre-amp side.
    It has a nice sound - I like it.
    Gringopig - Thanks so much. The first person with a V40 Deluxe to give some hands on which is great. Happy to live with pre-amp overdrive and really only looking for subtle country, rock style break up but cleans are essential. Also I will only be using low output pick ups not powerful hum buckers.
    Any experience of using or comments on the effects loop?
    edited July 2020
    gringopig said:
    jimkehoe said:
    gringopig said:
    I have the Victory V40 Deluxe and use it at home on the 7W setting.

It sounds great at home volume. The pre-amp breaks up really nicely and is very sensitive to the pickup going in to it, so high output pickups can really sound quite overdriven. To be honest, in order to get the power valves distorting in any amp over <1 Watt, it's going to be too loud for home use so the V40 Deluxe does a great job on the pre-amp side.
    It has a nice sound - I like it.
    Gringopig - Thanks so much. The first person with a V40 Deluxe to give some hands on which is great. Happy to live with pre-amp overdrive and really only looking for subtle country, rock style break up but cleans are essential. Also I will only be using low output pick ups not powerful hum buckers.
    No sorry. I've not used the effects loop but my pedal board (including delay) sounds just fine into the front end. If you want clean or subtle break up then the V40 Deluxe will do that for sure. It's built really well too and the footswitchable bias tremelo sounds ace.
    Clean, it sounds slightly more midrangey than my ultra linear Twin. More focused in the midrange which is what a lot of players like. It's clear and detailed. Maybe more like a Blackface sound than a late Silverface but then the Twin has 2 Electrovoice 12" speakers and the V40 Deluxe has a single Celestion.
    Brilliant - Thanks for that. Sorely tempted. Andertons is too close!
    edited July 2020
  • ChesterChester Frets: 53
    gringopig said:
    Go try one. Take your effects and try out the effects loop!
    And let us know how you get on .. this one is on my radar as well
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 815

If your hankering the above sounds check out the supersonic 22. Ace cleans and very useful od channel, much more useful than the vibrato channel on a drri. Give it some welly in andertons and allow for the new speaker which is good when broke in.
    gordiji said:

If your hankering the above sounds check out the supersonic 22. Ace cleans and very useful od channel, much more useful than the vibrato channel on a drri. Give it some welly in andertons and allow for the new speaker which is good when broke in.
    Just done some research re the Supersonic and it looks like a good option . What is the background noise/hum like at very low volume and would it be capable of being used at low home volume?
  • I think I'm going to get a V40 head as soon as I offload myHRD.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
  • darrenpdarrenp Frets: 116

I've been using a V40 Deluxe since it was released and a V40 Duchess before that, both through the Victory vertical 2x12 creamback loaded cab. I liked the Duchess, but I love the Deluxe, which, to me has much more presence. The Duchess can be quite dark sounding at times.

Unfortunately, I haven't used the effects loop to date, as I run the amp clean with all my pedals in front, but I have just bought a Line 6 HX, which I'll be trying through the loop as soon as I get a chance.

Comments on the Victory Amps Owners page on Facebook regarding a Helix/HX with a V40 have all been very positive, so I'm hoping for good things. I'll post again as soon as I've had a chance to hook it up.

I don't often use it at home, but when I have I've had no issues getting useable sounds at sensible volume levels. 

darrenp said:

I've been using a V40 Deluxe since it was released and a V40 Duchess before that, both through the Victory vertical 2x12 creamback loaded cab. I liked the Duchess, but I love the Deluxe, which, to me has much more presence. The Duchess can be quite dark sounding at times.

Unfortunately, I haven't used the effects loop to date, as I run the amp clean with all my pedals in front, but I have just bought a Line 6 HX, which I'll be trying through the loop as soon as I get a chance.

Comments on the Victory Amps Owners page on Facebook regarding a Helix/HX with a V40 have all been very positive, so I'm hoping for good things. I'll post again as soon as I've had a chance to hook it up.

I don't often use it at home, but when I have I've had no issues getting useable sounds at sensible volume levels. 

Thats great. Thanks Darren. Please update when you've had a chance to use the HX through the loop. I will be very interested to know.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 815
    jimkehoe said:

Just done some research re the Supersonic and it looks like a good option . What is the background noise/hum like at very low volume and would it be capable of being used at low home volume?
    It's not the quietest amp especially on the drive channel and it does sound best at reasonable vol where the noise issue becomes irrelevent. The clean does beautiful knopfleresque tones with natural compression at reasonable vol. That said i use my roland cube for quiet practice/playing.
    Check out the youtube vid by james mulvaney as it shows the amp as it is. It's very satisfying to play. G