Picard (contains spoilers)

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Wolfetone said:
    Watched three episodes so far and I am disappointed with the slow pace, lack of action, poor story line and most of all  Patrick Stewart's geriatric  acting.

Only Geri Ryan can rescue this now.

Picard is a broken man .. he's old, he screwed up and this is his last hurrah. I like the slow pace as it builds the story. E4 was the best so far and 7 of 9 turns up .. the pace is quickening ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1247
    Bloody excellent so far.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4263
    I love the fact that its not rushed and evolves at a pace that relates to an elderly Picard and his acceptance of his ageing
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16465
    edited February 2020
    I'm liking it, kinda reminds me of Starship Traveller type stuff, the whole putting a disparate team together to go in a quest type of thing. 
    EDIT: and I love the fact that the borg leader is Hugh. Great little touch.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    I like it.
    Its better than the 1st series of TNG. That has aged very badly. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• sweepy said:
    I love the fact that its not rushed and evolves at a pace that relates to an elderly Picard and his acceptance of his ageing
    Me too. There are loads of people complaining about the pacing, but I much prefer a slow burn rather than the rushed approach to character introductions we usually get these days. Every episode has shown us more about what's happened in the 20 years since we left Picard, and that's important to me.
    <space for hire>
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
    And they have already confirmed season 2..  Its just a shame its only 10 episodes for season 1. I reckon we will find out a lot more next week with sevens appearance.
  • Spaceships? Check
    Laser weaponry? Check
    Old man on a damned fool idealistic crusade? Check

Add in the return of 7 of 9 and the mystery of WTF is actually going on aboard the Romulan held Borg cube and I'm all in so far.

Just hope they avoid the modern trend of irrelevant suspense and killing off characters for no good reason and this will continue to be very cool indeed.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • I suspect it's slow if watched episodically; I just watched all four so far back to back and it feels like a well constructed movie.
    That movie appears to be a version of either Seven Samurai, or Star Wars, with Old Ben and Luke swapped...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13680
    Picard is the best Trek has been since DS9 ended.

Not that I have a problem with Discovery (especially S2) or Enterprise for that matter, but Picard just feels special.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I suspect it's slow if watched episodically; I just watched all four so far back to back and it feels like a well constructed movie.
    That movie appears to be a version of either Seven Samurai, or Star Wars, with Old Ben and Luke swapped...
    I suspect you're right about the pacing... We're conditioned to binge these days and struggle to appreciate things episodically. It is a very well crafted and made programme, I have thousands of questions but the faith that they will be answered. Very enjoyable.

I hated Discovery though. With a passion. The only plus I have for Discovery is that it helped me accept Enterprise as Trek. The opening credits of Enterprise are no longer the worst thing to have happened to the franchise.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• My interest is starting to wane to be honest.  I've enjoyed things released by the episode recently so I don't think it's that. In fact I've actually liked the nostalgic notion of looking forward to something being released on a certain day.  You're sat in the evening thinking what am I going to do tonight then suddenly get excited becuase you remeber it's 'Better Call Saul' night.
    (That show is also proof that something can work being slow paced).

Picard - It just seems a bit slow and repetitive.  The last episode I've stopped in the middle of, but I'll try again and stick with it.  I like patrick Stewart but the story is a bit wish washy, hopefully it will come together strong soon.  Could just be me not goving it the attention it deserves......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    EP5 was dark and gruesome ... old school Trekkies were shocked at the mutilation at the beginning. Is Seven of Nine dead? If so that was a short cameo. And the wimpy female scientist is a murdering double agent.

Quite liked it.

• I like it how they showed some true dark side of the human race with a planet designed around vice, rather than the squeeky clean federation of old.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    edited February 2020 tFB Trader
    I like it how they showed some true dark side of the human race with a planet designed around vice, rather than the squeeky clean federation of old.
    Yeah I am quite liking it.. Don't think Seven is dead.. 

The last few TNG films they showed the Federation as not necessarily being the good guys, willing to bend their own rules when it suits them. So this is actually a logical progression from those films. I think its always been there behind the scenes with Section 31 and all that and the Maquis. They showed that in DS9 a fair bit. Its like the trade off for living in an otherwise perfect society (which can never really be perfect).
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    edited February 2020
    icheb was one of the best characters in voyager and it’s a shame to see him go out like that
    The latest episode was poor. Slower than an arthritic snail, Picard was hardly in it, the dialogue was laughable, and the plot was straight out of the A-Team. How Picard got a pass onto the Borg cube was just lazy writing. And yet again characters close to Picard are disposed of in a pointless manner - this week Hugh and boy with the sword. They may be back but it looks unlikely.

This series is now a mess.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    The latest episode was poor. Slower than an arthritic snail, Picard was hardly in it, the dialogue was laughable, and the plot was straight out of the A-Team. How Picard got a pass onto the Borg cube was just lazy writing. And yet again characters close to Picard are disposed of in a pointless manner - this week Hugh and boy with the sword. They may be back but it looks unlikely.

Pretty sure Hugh and Ilnor survive for at least long enough to be in the "spoilers for next week" bit at the end ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13365
    Fretwired said:

Behave. 

That was Star Trek back to its best. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Best episode of the series so far. Sad to see Hugh die - there's another major character set to die before the end of the series. Picard's crew are verging on the annoying, but it was great to see the Riker's and Picard. The chemistry from TNG is still there and the Riker's child is intelligent and precocious - it would be good to see more of her. She's in a different league from Wesley. Deanna was giving Picard good advice - it would good to see Picard hook-up with the Riker's in a new ship for season 2. The Riker's hinted they are have some trouble on the planet they are living on.

Elnor uses the SOS beacon Seven left Picard to call for help - hope Seven is back. Will Riker said he was still on the Star Fleet reserve list - I sense he maybe given command of a starship before the seasons end. Shaping up for a big battle at the end of season 1.