Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

After All These Years Of Spending, Playing & Buying/Selling - Where Are You Now ???

What's Hot

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 3091
    tFB Trader
    Pro Reverb + Ampmaker P1800 in stereo. Strat, Greco 335, self build Tele with lipsticks. Filtertron & trem thing might convert to P90s, or sell, not using it much. Also there's a 58 Hofner and a dirt cheap Epi slide weapon I share with my boy.
    I don't hardly get GAS and have a car project so the other guitars will be flogged soonish (2x Firebirds & Explorer). Want to build a set-neck Strattish thing though, got the pickups already.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Same as always - gear never truly interested me so I'm not THAT bothered what I've got.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    Same as always - gear never truly interested me so I'm not THAT bothered what I've got.
    Don't you have over 10k in two PRS guitars?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Poorer.

Both financially and ability.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    I've not bought much in the last year and my choices seem settled:

The following bits of gear just fit me perfectly:

Brunetti singleman 35
    Brunetti plexi man

Roland 501
    Helix 
    Moogerfoogers
    Gurus 1959 DD
    Meris trilogy 

Mim paisley tele
    Mij sambora strat
    Custom lp
    Takamine p3

Still got loads of pedals as I just love em and have two boards setup.

However, I barely play these days. No band and music just loses its allure for me. I need that impetus more than the gear!
  • HushHush Frets: 21
    I've been lucky enough to of owned plenty of gear, and fortunate enough that, I've never really sold any, You really don't need all the gear in my mind, just a few amps 2/3 guitars is plenty, although i have way more. I don't get the same sense of urgency or excitement to own gear these days, it's worn off LOL  I think it's a mental illness, having to buy all the gear a form of OCD and a form of being a complete anorak. So stop it now. LOL
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8623
    Interesting timing for me this thread as I was reflecting on this today.

8 years ago just when me and my now wife bought a house together and I got my own dedicated guitar room, I had an American Standard Strat, a Squier Espirt, a Fender Super Champ XD, and a modest pedalboard.

I cannot tell you how much I’ve had since then - dozens of guitars, probably hundreds of pedals, amps has been more controlled but still too many to mention. At no point has the man cave been in anything other than a state of flux, always something incoming, always something waiting to be packed up and shipped out. 
    It’s been bloody expensive (a conservative 2k per year for “lost”money I reckon, but hey people spend more on golf), but it’s been bloomin’ fun and I’ve learned so much about what I like and what I don’t and scratched itches I simply wanted to scratch. It was a hobby I enjoyed.

Fast forward to now and happy circumstances mean that I may well be loosing my guitar room to other needs in the near future, to be replaced with an alcove in either our bedroom or the spare room. And you know what, rather than mourning the loss of the man cave, I’m at the right stage for this change and quite excited by it.

The Carr Sportsman will go back to being a 1x12 combo (I’ve got option of head and cab or combo with it), my pedalboard is spot on after years of subtle tweaking, and I think I’m going to go down to two electrics and an acoustic. Which will be the Suhr Alt T Pro and a Strat, and I may “treat” myself to a new CS Strat as a reward for the downsizing if I feel I can improve upon my current Strat. Oh and the UA OX for headphone practice. A very concise setup and not dissimilar in stature to where I started 8 years ago, but with kit I only dreamed of back then.

I agree with what someone else said, the more I play, and the more I focus on playing, the less I need. If the less can be of great quality, even better. I’ve actually grown a little tired and bored of the distraction of gear so I’m in a pretty good place with it all.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    edited August 2018
    Same as always - gear never truly interested me so I'm not THAT bothered what I've got.
    Don't you have over 10k in two PRS guitars?
    Sold one..  
    But honestly, not big into gear. I find it a massive turn-off and distraction from the music & playing lol
    (Saying that, I do have the odd splurges!)
  • Started off with a (squier strat which I still use today) and a Tanglewood acoustic. Never had a real amp as I wasn't in a band in my teens, only a small Fender practice one. The only pedals I had was a Zoom 505 and Boss DS-1.

The first guitar I actually bought myself was a Gibson Les Paul Junior. Then a Fender Telecaster as I got more experienced in bands and gear. I got my Marshall stack in 2011. Kept that for about 2 years. 

The only guitar I've ever sold was a Gibson J-45, and various Boss Pedals I didn't like. Blues Driver being one of them.

Now in the band I'm playing with my rig is a Peavey 6505+ into an Orange PPC412. Guitar is a Gibson Les Paul studio. There's a Bareknuckle Nailbomb pickup in there.

Pedals I'm not using much, Boss TU-2, Ibanez TS9/Maxon OD808 and ISP Decimator. Run a Line 6 G50 relay Wireless. Sounds great.

At home for teaching I use my Fender Strat/Telecaster and another Les Paul. And a Takamine electro acoustic. Amp is a Marshall DSL5c (the new ones) and I hardly use any pedals. Have bought a Digitech Drop Tune but never really use it.
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 328
    I'm down to 4 guitars, 2 amps and a small selection of overdrive pedals -

Guitars: Les Paul Standard, Standard Tele, '62/'65 Reissue Strats.

Amps: '69 Deluxe Reverb, '70 Super Reverb.

Pedals: Barber LTD, Wampler Euphoria, 4114 Effects TS9 Clone and a Polytune mini.

Home: Any of the above guitars > Super Reverb 

Live: LP/'65 Strat > Pedalboard > Super Reverb

https://i.imgur.com/FsRl609.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UBdlu8F.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1i1qTy6.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I've flipped a lot of gear over the years. I've had some very good guitars that I miss dearly. As has been said above I have learned a lot from the process. I always wanted a CS strat and a CS Les Paul. I now have both and wish I had just arrived there at the beginning. 

Amp wise it's a Helix LT through headphones/monitors at home and through a PA in a band setting, albeit infrequently. Whilst I'm not blown away by the Helix sounds it is a very convenient tool for home and live settings.

I have a couple of sentimental guitars that I'll never sell, but they stay in cases and rarely get played. 

Overall I'm fairly content. I often consider flipping the helix for a Kemper but I'd probably miss the flexibility of the Helix, so I'll bide my time. Guitar wise I'm not looking for anything really. I would love to have an SG and a 335 on the wall, but Im not gassing. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3026
    I just buy.   I have a few bought from new, Strats, a tele, SG alike acoustic couple of amps and pod hd500, but the rest have come from ebay and I only buy cheap.  Ive never though it worth moving them on, so the collection just keeps building.  Probably up to around 14 guitars at the moment.  

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3074
    west said:
    I wished i could say "just my lowden "  its the only thing im playing 95 % of the time . i wished i could make all the electric stuff go away without regret and yet im still looking at collings soco 's ...  my andy's havnt been picked up for 6 months gawd knows how long since i switched the rambler on , the draw is lined with pedals ... i ask myself why cant i let that stuff go .....
    Same here. I have 3 acoustics which I play regularly. Haven't picked up electric in over a year...so I have a load of gear collecting dust....and (more importantly) taking up space in my allotted musical domain.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5822
    edited August 2018
    I'd probably end up with gear similar to the OP if I kept on accumulating, but I'm sticking with what I've got for the time being, as it more or less does everything that I need.

Les Paul/Telecaster/Strat/P-Bass > FX8 > Kemper
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I should definitely get rid of some stuff. I only play my new acoustic, really, these days. I still find myself wanting stuff though. Like big loud amps.. Why? I play acoustic, in the house.. It really is a mental illness, I’m convinced.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    Started this year with a simon & patrick acoustic, THR5, 335 copy, roadworn tele, heavily modified squier strat and a champion 600 modded into a tweed champ.  Have kept the acoustic, THR5 and 335 copy; traded the roadworn tele for an 86 MIJ strat (57 reissue) sold the squier and built myself a telepartscaster and have bought a princeton 68 custom.  

Am in the process of selling the modified tweed and have sold the boss 63 FRV1 as the princeton has spring reverb.  Pedalswise have an ED1 compressor, Joyo american sound and this year flogged my mojo mojo and got a joyo ts9 clone.

All good at the moment, don't gig so all for my own amusement.
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Was fairly happy with my stuff until about two weeks ago, when I got that desire. Rickenbacker is being flogged and I'll get a 330 or 335 instead.

Current standing - Les Paul, Double Bound Tele. Early model Cornell Romany Plus. 

Pedals - not many. Vox wah, DopeFx RAH clone, Shin-Ei FY 6 clone, Belle Epoch, Small Stone, AYA BM 70

Until a fortnight ago, I'd not changed that for a number of years.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I've journeyed through the years from multiple Les Pauls, including a 50s one, and multiple old Marshall amps and cabs, through to a £450 EVH Wolfgang, a JCA 20w HV with an 80s 2x12 Marshall cab.  Pedals Boss and MXR as always :)

Aside from getting used to Fender scale (it's easier than I expected) I'm in a good place, I'm getting sounds I always wanted.

It was never about money, and isn't now either :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Nope. no. no no. I thought I'd got it all under control.

Now I've just gone and slapped a deposit on a fretless bass to pick up on Thursday.

I'm a bad bad boy
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    edited August 2018
    My gear and playing is currently at an all time low. Had to sell my amp to pay off some bills so right now my entire gear list is down to:

Gibson SG standard 
    No-name awful parts strat that's not worth selling
    Korg pitchblack
    BYOC Tubescreamer
    Fuzzdogs raw fuzz
    DD7
    2x12 cab

A very sad state of affairs indeed. I regret selling my 2 Les Pauls for sure! Most of the time I play through Amplitube which isn't particularly inspiring! Right now I'd love a good digital option for playing at home with headphones or monitors as I can't see a band situation cropping up any time soon. May even sell the cab to help fund something. Still want a Helix LT but a firebox or old Pod is looking more likely. I know I should be happy for the nice bits I have but the whole situation has me feeling down on guitar right now.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom