Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dealer buying consortium - GuitarGuitar/Andertons/PMT

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    StefB said:
    It's probably worth considering that Andertons already have direct-from-the-factory infrastructure in place (with the Chapman Guitars stuff), so that could well be a part of this.

I was surprised a few weeks back to discover GuitarGuitar selling new Chapman guitars, couldn't understand why Andertons would allow that, but it all makes perfect sense now.
    just noticed that - Thanks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    ....and then GG buy up PMT and Andertons.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Would be nice to see Strandberg available at Andertons too GG aren't the best for the Japanese models
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Strat54 said:
    ....and then GG buy up PMT and Andertons.

Sound Control, anyone?

Yup, there were no takers back then, either...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Low and behold - prices are the same - on many models - a few are a few quid apart - They either have a similar calculator for working out prices or more luck then judgement - Or indeed otherwise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair, USA prices are seriously down on recent prices and more in line with USA Fender Professional models - Tribute models looked well priced around £400ish + based on which model

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180807330962008--g-and-l-tribute-asat-classic-bluesboy-sonic-blue-white-pickguar
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/g-l-tribute-series-asat-classic-bluesboy-lake-placid-blue
    G and L Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy Sonic Blue White Pickguard MN
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180710329532008--g-and-l-fullerton-deluxe-legacy-honeyburst-mn
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/g-l-usa-fullerton-deluxe-legacy-in-honeyburst-w-maple-fingerboard
    GL USA Fullerton Deluxe Legacy in Honeyburst w Maple Fingerboard
  • Can't remember the last time I was in a guitar retail emporium.

If I want something, I just pick the phone up to a few people and set the jungle drums going. 

Personally the retailers time has been and gone, it simply doesn't figure in my life. 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I've always thought that used G&L's are good value - with big depreciation you always got a lot of guitar for your money - Looking at current new prices at GAP, it will make a used USA ASAT now very well priced 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    Don't know anyone that buys G&L these days. I had an ASAT in the mid 80's, it was...okay. Good luck to them. 
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Don't know anyone that buys G&L these days. I had an ASAT in the mid 80's, it was...okay. Good luck to them. 
    personally find the 'Strat' based models are over-engineered - especially the trem system, the wiring set-up and certain pick-ups

Many ASAT based models are more 'preferential'

Many can be over weight but some are nice
  • I bought an asat classic new about 18 months ago, was blown out for around GAP's pricing. Even then, several of the other models in stock took a long time to shift. Really makes me question if increased visibility, distribution and a price cut will make enough of a difference. The name on the headstock will still begin with a G, rather than an F.
  • I'm definitely more interested in a bass, (bass is still my number 1 despite loving guitar!)
  • @guitars4you - I kinda assumed (rightly or wrongly) that their distro deal was for the Far East stuff and not necessarily the US made stuff only because that’s where the volume is for a deal to be profitable for them. 

I reckon you are probably right - it will be the US stuff where the money is made, if that indeed is included in the deal...
    yes a different business model - and to be fair, today I see far more of the USA side of it - But when I worked at AOS, some years ago, we started looking at similar arrangements with initial thoughts on far eastern models and yes some factory costs were offered were incredible - But we had to factor in a very decent % to cover poor QC on certain goods, which in turn were scrapped, stripped for spares or sold as seen at lower prices
    The scrappage thng is different to IT - you get DOA but it’s a lot rarer these days.

I would say that there’s either a really strong partnering model being developed between the 3 retailers here or there’s a merger in the offing. I doubt one has the capital to buy out the other two. 

A merger would be a risky thing tho. 
  • Well, my take on this is that I might be able to sneak half an hour in GuitarGuitar this weekend and have a plonk on some G and Ls. 

I guess it surprises me slightly that these companies are working together more as in some places ( Birmingham at least) they are essentially in direct competition.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30910
    Well, my take on this is that I might be able to sneak half an hour in GuitarGuitar this weekend and have a plonk on some G and Ls. 

I guess it surprises me slightly that these companies are working together more as in some places ( Birmingham at least) they are essentially in direct competition.

Eric, my new gaffe is 40m from GG. I have better stock....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, my take on this is that I might be able to sneak half an hour in GuitarGuitar this weekend and have a plonk on some G and Ls. 

Not if a partnering deal or merger includes a “you close your store in city x and we will close ours in city y and effectively split our coverage model”

Less overheads and less competition for each store.

It will be interesting to see if they try to differentiate in their online models as well though. 
  • Gassage said:
    Well, my take on this is that I might be able to sneak half an hour in GuitarGuitar this weekend and have a plonk on some G and Ls. 

Flat above Safeburys Supermarket?

Not if a partnering deal or merger includes a “you close your store in city x and we will close ours in city y and effectively split our coverage model”

It will be interesting to see if they try to differentiate in their online models as well though. 
    PMT and GG both have large, flagship stores in Birmingham. Guitars more part ( albeit a large part) of what PMT do whereas in GG they are the main thrust. Perhaps it wouldn't be surprising to see PMT eventually becoming drums and music tech only. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Gassage said:

Flat above Safeburys Supermarket?

PMT and GG both have large, flagship stores in Birmingham. Guitars more part ( albeit a large part) of what PMT do whereas in GG they are the main thrust. Perhaps it wouldn't be surprising to see PMT eventually becoming drums and music tech only. 
    PMT is a big old shop with crap parking - I could see them relocating and doing exactly that - or a focus on studio and recording and PA
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    @guitars4you - I kinda assumed (rightly or wrongly) that their distro deal was for the Far East stuff and not necessarily the US made stuff only because that’s where the volume is for a deal to be profitable for them. 

I reckon you are probably right - it will be the US stuff where the money is made, if that indeed is included in the deal...
    yes a different business model - and to be fair, today I see far more of the USA side of it - But when I worked at AOS, some years ago, we started looking at similar arrangements with initial thoughts on far eastern models and yes some factory costs were offered were incredible - But we had to factor in a very decent % to cover poor QC on certain goods, which in turn were scrapped, stripped for spares or sold as seen at lower prices
    The scrappage thng is different to IT - you get DOA but it’s a lot rarer these days.

I would say that there’s either a really strong partnering model being developed between the 3 retailers here or there’s a merger in the offing. I doubt one has the capital to buy out the other two. 

A merger would be a risky thing tho. 
    I don't see any merger happening - But only a gut feeling/guess - As for a buy out - You never know - Health of the owners and business can come into play, so who knows

Not sure what expansion plans either PMT or GG still have - Anderton's appear to be happy with the one store format that supports a powerful on-line option - PMT appear to be more bricks n mortar and certainly have the 'poorest' web site of the 3 members of GAP - remember PMT acquired 2 powerful web stores in the past (Soho Soudhouse and Dolphin) and let both web sites disappear out of site

Between them the 3 members are a powerful force - I dare say only Dawsons and Gear4Music are the other big 2 missing businesses within the UK - Yet both are far more 'clean' and less 'rock n roll' - I always think that if NEXT decided to open a music shop it would be like Dawsons !!!!

Will be interesting to see how this GAP partnership develops - I can imagine certain manufactures will be interested and certain wholesalers worried
  • @guitars4you - total speculation on my part of course. 

If it helps the independent industry in the U.K. survive then that’s a good thing.

I don’t want to have to buy all my gear from Amazon as the last game in town. That would be horrific
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28168
    personally find the 'Strat' based models are over-engineered - especially the trem system, the wiring set-up and certain pick-ups
    Personally I think the G&L Dual Fulcrum is up there with the Parker trem - the best two I've had. And the voleme/treble/bass control setup on the Legacy is absolutely spot-on. Very versatile without being at all fiddly. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."