here are some pics of my new squier strat - twas made in the 80's - question about cleaning and stuf

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
edited April 2014 in Guitar
imageimageimage
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    it looks like the photo upload didn't work :(.

the guitar needs a fair bit of sorting - see my other threads on pickups as a starting point. 

anyway before i spend £160 on pickups, something easier; the fretboard is filthy and needs a clean and maybe oiling and a fret polish.

I guess I can do all this myself - can anyone point me towards some good instructions that I can read to start restoring it to luvverly playability

ta

nick
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Liberon 0000 wire wool is excellent for rosewood boards and frets. I use Gerlitz guitar honey to oil mine excellent stuff.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    You just need the Direct image address from photobucket, none of the HTML or IMG links.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 924
    If you use wire wool to clean the fingerboard, remember to mask the pickups first otherwise they'll end up very furry!
    @guitargeek

well done on the photos - thanks!  have a wisdom!!!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10012
    Have a look on youtube for videos showing a fingerboard being scraped by a Stanley knife blade (although they usually wrongly call it a razor blade). If you're going to oil it, you need to make sure there's not decades worth of finger-gunk on there first!
  • If the fingerboard is all gunked up try using the edge of an old credit card to scrape it off. You have to be really careful scraping with a Stanley or razor blade or you can accidentally cut into the fingerboard.

Once you have scraped off as much gunk with the credit card, use can use naphtha / lighter fluid to clean the rest up. You can then rub some lemon or linseed oil in to feed the wood a bit (only on a rosewood neck though).

My newly purchased '90s Squier Srart is about to get the same treatment.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10012
    Here's the one I was thinking of:

brilliant guys.  have ordered wire wool and oil.  fender website looks like it has some useful videos as well

cheers

nick
    I have just found out (axesrus are brilliant) that that my plan of upgrading the trem won't work as the body is too thin to take a Wilkinson Trem so I think I'm just going to tidy it up and sell it :(

and then look for a mex strat.  

live and learn,