Recommendations for guitar based solo acts?

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
Hi all, i have a project in ny head id like to do, a solo act where its just me, a guitar, maybe some keys, and a drum machine or looper. In my head it'd be like a mix of the musicality and melody i like in Jeff Buckley, but with the attitude and punchiness of the Strokes singer, stylewise i guess its be a bit of a mixing pot but definitely rocky.
I thought it might be good to ask other peoples recommendations for solo acts, predominantly guitar based, that represent well the possibilities if this kind of act. Id prefer no Seasick Steve, but not averse to stuff like the well known kt Tunstall on jools Holland performance, love the full sounds of Bert jansch, also very keen on Beck style stuff,
So go on then, what you guys got?
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Not the kind of style you're looking at but why not just do this. ;-)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    I can't see youtube on my phone at the mo but will give it a go! Should point out (i forgot to say in the OP) I'm not an acoustic strummer type!
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Billy Bragg might be worth a look for some ideas,

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

Ooh yes i forgot about him, good one thanks
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Howie Day did some epic looping, both with his guitar and vocals.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Rainer Ptacek. Might be a bit bluesy for you and some of his stuff was with a band but he was a pioneer of looping and using that at creating atmosphere.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited April 2014
    Thanks folks

Space cadet...yeah I could just do that one right away, easily, honest...maybe in another lifetime haha

Dulcetjones - really enjoyed the Billy Bragg, a different attitude for sure, I liked his suspensions in the tune, and the rhythmic power intervals (stickler for not calling them chords haha) whilst singing is a nice touch to give different texture and make it easier to do the two together I guess

Notthedj - not a style I would ever attempt, nor would I ever get that kind of control over loopers like that, very impressive to keep each bit of that going in your head. I think I'd like it more played on synths though, nicer texture to me, so maybe try and do stuff strummy style to jam/busk it through, then play it on synths for proper version.

Erictheweary - interesting phrasing this guy has, not so keen on his playing, different though it is, might look see if he did any electric playing as that may sit better with me. I do like his stop start kind of thing though. He does look a bit like he might be Gareth from The Office's dad :)

Thank you all very kindly
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Pre-band John Martyn. You Tube is full of examples. Check out 'Small Hours' for his acoustic through effects side and 'Couldn't Love You More' for straight acoustic playing....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

I saw Tommy Emmanuel a couple of months ago.  Went wondering if a bloke playing acoustic, who cant really sing that brilliantly, could be interesting for a couple of hours. 

Thought he was brilliant, sometimes exhilarating drawing gasps form the audience, sometimes really touching.... and always very musical.

At one point he gave the crowd a 'lesson' on exactly how he was making the different sounds, demonstrating the microphone inside his guitar, and the different ways he strikes it to get his percussive sounds.

Seemed like a great guy too.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    If you want to try unusual techniques, check out Kaki King.

I don't like her first two albums where it was all instrumental with too much repetitiveness of the tapping/clattery thing, but after that she started writing proper songs and incorporating that style into them… very good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Brilliant thanks all, will give them each a lesson. Keep em coming, particularly if there are more electric based rather than acoustic, keen to see what can be done solo with electrics rather than strumming acoustics really i think.
    Thank you all kindly !
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    Seiichi yamamoto (of Boredoms fame), sing song-y bit starts about 4.20 ish

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited April 2014
    Stuart McCallum, solo. Quality music, doesn't get much better than this.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Theres also this option.

• Big old necro bump. Looking for guitar solo acts again, with a brief shockingly similar to my original brief above in fact. But now I can actually sing a bit I feel I might get on better with it this time around.

So, solo singers with guitars, not Ed Sheeran, bonus points for electric guitar but not essential. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    edited November 2020
    Always love a bit of Ed Hamell but I suspect he wont be melodic enough for you. 

• Always love a bit of Ed Hamell but I suspect he wont be melodic enough for you. 

It's all good can learn from lots of different styles even if they aren't for me generally - seems like a storyteller, which is interesting
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    You said no Seasick Steve so this might be too far down the blues rock alleyway for you.

• William Tyler -