Is this a reasonable way to build a looper?

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 1106
I want to build a looper to switch a pedal in and our of the signal chain mid song.

Is this all I need or is it really more complex than that?

cuircuit here 2nd one with the led
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1291
    That's all there is to a basic loop switcher. Depending on the quality of the switch, you may have some clunks or clicks.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1760
    Kev Nocaster used to do a kit for these with all the decent quality bits you need plus instructions (albeit gruff, Scottish "don't you know how to do this already, you daft jessy?" type instructions).

Not seen or heard from him in ages, though. Given life expectancy up there, I assume he has passed away.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8625
    ^ I think that's the funniest post I've seen in a while. Well done.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    DannyP said:
    Not seen or heard from him in ages, though. Given life expectancy up there, I assume he has passed away.

Aye, too much offal in their diets.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 1106
    Didn't he gat banned from mr for some reason?

I remember his looper kit was about 30 quid though, if it's as simple as that I already have all the parts except the led and resistor including good quality switch and jacks.

I should probably gett myself down to maplins, get the other bits and find my soldering iron.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3095
    Kev is on FB under the name of Deaf Kev.

He's a top bloke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Don't recall Kev getting banned from MR? He just got fed up with the band and sold a load of kit.

Judging by facebook he mainly rides his motorbike and posts pictures of his food....not seen anything music related from him for ages.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    If it's not a stupid question, why do you need a loop pedal to switch another pedal out of the signal chain?

(Assuming it's just one, and does have a switch of its own... although I do own one that doesn't.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1760
    edited April 2014
    RobDavies;211863" said:
    Kev is on FB under the name of Deaf Kev.

He's a top bloke.
    He certainly is a top bloke, I was only joshing earlier. He repaired my vintage coloursound tonebender free of charge, so he's ok in my book - although he did call me a "f#*%ing idiot" on MR once!
    ICBM;211961" said:
    If it's not a stupid question, why do you need a loop pedal to switch another pedal out of the signal chain?

(Assuming it's just one, and does have a switch of its own... although I do own one that doesn't.)
    I have a looper on my board to switch an old korg axg1 multi in and out. I only use the korg for a sitar sound in one song, it takes up too much board space and you need to hold down 2 footswitches simultaneously to bypass it, so it makes sense for me sling it in the cavity under the board and switch it in and out with the looper.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 1106
    Maybe I was mis remembering about kev and apologise in his absence if I would have caused offence. I had a few dealings with him on mr too and never had any problems. Must be my memory playing tricks.

@icbm there's no such thing as a stupid question, only people who never really understand what's going on because they're afraid to ask:)

I'm going to put a zoom ms70 CD-R on my board for modulation, reverb and delay. You can cycle through a few patches using the footswitch but that doesn't allow you for example to switch patch 1 on and off repeatedly , then change to patch 2 for another song and do the same. With a looper I can switch to latch 1 for a song, switch it in and out with the looper, then cycle to patch 3 for example. I don't think I'm going to need more than 1 patch per song so thus should give me the flexibility I need.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    Aha! That makes sense :).

Yes, the second circuit there is the one you want. It's better than the other common true-bypass scheme you normally see because it grounds the input of the effect when the loop is bypassed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein